Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Taylor Waters
Votes |
Paid Mentor Worth It?

Taylor Waters
Posted Jul 17 2024, 13:04

Hi all, I spoke with an investor via phone that I met through Reddit. I mentioned to him that I wanted to get started with investing via wholesaling and after some chatting, he brought up his willingness to be a paid mentor for me to get my first deal.

He said he would teach me Real Estate Economics, investor psychology, and how to find and build the right product/deal for an investor

He charges $150 a call if I book a batch of calls or $195 a call if I book one at a time. The frequency would be 3 calls a month that last 1.5-2 hours each. I want to take this as seriously as possible so in my case, is this worth it, or is paying for a coach/mentor unnecessary? 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 17 2024, 14:08

It depends. I have 3 properties and I learned everything from podcast, you tube and conferences. For that rate I would look at he Bigger Pockets Rookie summit. I went to that a few years ago when I decided I wanted to go fully Into REI. I have yet to pay for mentorship and I am doing very well. I would pay for masterminds or accountability pods at some point but I would rather save all that money for the downpayment. If you don't have time or don't want to spend hours learning on podcast or YouTube then it may be a good fit for you.

User Stats

Votes
Taylor Waters
Votes |
Replied Jul 17 2024, 14:37
Quote from @Alicia Kuluris:

It depends. I have 3 properties and I learned everything from podcast, you tube and conferences. For that rate I would look at he Bigger Pockets Rookie summit. I went to that a few years ago when I decided I wanted to go fully Into REI. I have yet to pay for mentorship and I am doing very well. I would pay for masterminds or accountability pods at some point but I would rather save all that money for the downpayment. If you don't have time or don't want to spend hours learning on podcast or YouTube then it may be a good fit for you.

Makes sense. Thanks Alicia!

Baselane logo
Baselane
|
Sponsored
The Easiest Way to Save 150 hours & $5,000 / year Stop the busy work and start growing your RE business with market leading APY & automated finances

User Stats

Votes
Don Konipol
Pro Member
#2 Innovative Strategies Contributor
  • Lender
  • The Woodlands, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Innovative Strategies Contributor
  • Lender
  • The Woodlands, TX
Replied Jul 17 2024, 14:48
Quote from @Taylor Waters:

Hi all, I spoke with an investor via phone that I met through Reddit. I mentioned to him that I wanted to get started with investing via wholesaling and after some chatting, he brought up his willingness to be a paid mentor for me to get my first deal.

He said he would teach me Real Estate Economics, investor psychology, and how to find and build the right product/deal for an investor

He charges $150 a call if I book a batch of calls or $195 a call if I book one at a time. The frequency would be 3 calls a month that last 1.5-2 hours each. I want to take this as seriously as possible so in my case, is this worth it, or is paying for a coach/mentor unnecessary? 

If the mentor knows what he’s talking about, has the experience and a verifiable track record then it could be a very cost efficient way of obtaining one on one guidance.  Sure as hell beats paying $40k to an actor fronting for a real estate marketing company operating out of Las Vegas or Salt Lake City and providing guidance by a failed salesman reading answers from a script. 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Jul 17 2024, 14:57

@Taylor Waters

I would ask him to show you the deals he has done and referrals to other people he has mentored

It’s easy to do a public records search to see if he is telling the truth.

I would do due diligence on this person - which due diligence is the #1 key in being successful in real estate

User Stats

Votes
Alecia Loveless
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jul 17 2024, 15:36

@Taylor Waters I have paid for several “programs and mentorships” over the past 3 years. All of the mentorships were a waste of time. Most of the programs I actually learned stuff from. Programs were substantially less expensive than the mentorships.

I’ve got 7 buildings and working on the 8th. I think the Better Life Tribe has been the best bang for my buck as far as paid things go. Unfortunately due to technological glitches I missed out on my first 8 months of accountability pods. But now am going strong. I will be renewing my membership.

I think most of what you need to learn you can learn from books, podcasts, and the forums.

However if this guy isn’t charging a significant up front cost then maybe try out a month’s worth of calls and see if it helps you. $600 or so seems like short money to me if it actually helps. I wouldn’t commit past the first 3-4 calls though until I had some proof that he was actually helping me.

User Stats

Votes
Tim Ryan
  • Investor / Mentor / Contractor
  • Arcadia, CA Buying Out of State
Votes |
Replied Jul 17 2024, 16:36

I'm not against paying for education and coaching. I've paid tens of thousands over the years and it has paid off very well.

I just would not pay for wholesaling education. Wholesaling is the hardest real estate strategy.

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas L.
Pro Member
#4 Starting Out Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 Starting Out Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Replied Jul 18 2024, 09:40

@Taylor Waters

that price makes me think he might actually be legit.  but how would I know?  I have no idea.

i'd do these things first:

-listen to every single episode of Wholesale Hotline

-listen to every single episode of Real Estate Disruptors

-go to every single meetup within 2 hours of you for 6 months

then re-evaluate

good luck

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Irish-Jones
Agent
Property Manager
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Buffalo, NY
Votes |
Agent
Property Manager
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Buffalo, NY
Replied Jul 18 2024, 11:32

Wholesaling is a terrible way to get started in RE.  To do it right you need more Capital to wholesale than you need to be a multi family investor.  You need a massive marketing budget, and you need to double close on the property, meaning you need the actually have the cash to buy the place.

Flipping contracts from unknowing sellers to buyers is a shady business, illegal in most states, and has a failure rate in the high 90% range. 

You should refocus on making it as a safe, conservative, get rich slowly, investor.  That is the best path, the tried and true path, the most boring path, the longest path, and the highest probability of success path. 

You have to get rich over 30 years in Real Estate. 

User Stats

Votes
Carlos Valencia
  • Lender
Votes |
  • Lender
Replied Jul 18 2024, 13:28

Hello Taylor, 

There's many coaching programs out there and many so called real estate gurus lol. I would say to make sure they are doing what they are preaching and not just making money out of their RE coaching. There's also people in the industry that will be willing to teach for free as well. I would say try to see if there's any local Real Estate meetups in your area and start networking with other likeminded people so you can also pick their brain and learn from their mistakes. Another way to find a mentor is to try to offer them help and something of value so you can learn and also help them in return. Paying for a coaching will get you there faster. If you do not find a free or paid mentor you can get there as well but you may run into many expensive hurdles which is ok too but as long as you dont shy away and understand the bigger pictiure that at the end of the day you are learning and gaining that experienced and will be more savy as you continue your journey. At the end of the day you know yourself and you will know what you need to do to make sure you take action. Because people even when paying for coaching or not still don't take action. Don't look at it if you pay you will take action just look at it as if its something you really want to do. This real estate investing is not a race its a journey and it will take time to see any fruits of your labor. If it was easy everyone would do it right? 

@Albert Bui @Matthew Kwan

User Stats

Votes
Taylor Waters
Votes |
Replied Jul 21 2024, 21:11
Quote from @Don Konipol:

If the mentor knows what he’s talking about, has the experience and a verifiable track record then it could be a very cost efficient way of obtaining one on one guidance.  Sure as hell beats paying $40k to an actor fronting for a real estate marketing company operating out of Las Vegas or Salt Lake City and providing guidance by a failed salesman reading answers from a script. 

Sounds specific lol. Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
James E.
  • Virtual Assistant
  • Houston, Taxes
Votes |
  • Virtual Assistant
  • Houston, Taxes
Replied Jul 22 2024, 07:31
Quote from @Tim Ryan:

I'm not against paying for education and coaching. I've paid tens of thousands over the years and it has paid off very well.

I just would not pay for wholesaling education. Wholesaling is the hardest real estate strategy.

Why do you say Wholesaling is the hardest real estate strategy sir?

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Irish-Jones
Agent
Property Manager
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Buffalo, NY
Votes |
Agent
Property Manager
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Buffalo, NY
Replied Jul 23 2024, 13:55
Quote from @James E.:
Quote from @Tim Ryan:

Not that you asked me, but I agree.  To properly wholesale, legally wholesale, and morally wholesale, you need to double close.  Meaning you have the actual cash to buy multiple properties in cash, then sell, flip, or do whatever.  You also need a massive marketing budget to get all of these off market properties coming your way.

Flipping contracts when you don't have a dime to your name is in most states illegal, almost never scalable, and just from a human standpoint very questionable ethically. 

CV3 Financial logo
CV3 Financial
|
Sponsored
Fix & Flip | DSCR | Construction Loans Up to 90% LTV - Up to 80% Cash Out - No Income Verification - No Seasoning Requirements

User Stats

Votes
Tim Ryan
Votes |
Replied Jul 23 2024, 14:19
Quote from @James E.:
Quote from @Tim Ryan:

James, in my long years of experience, I rarely see people making money in wholesaling as the process is full time and full on. It's not for everyone. The whole idea that "it's a great place to start because you don't need money or credit" is hogwash. It's a business and the biggest problem I see people make is to treat wholesaling as a side gig. I believe it takes a specific type of personality to make wholesaling a success and a program can't teach that.

User Stats

Votes
Taylor Waters
Votes |
Replied Jul 24 2024, 20:27
Quote from @Tim Ryan:
Quote from @James E.:
Quote from @Tim Ryan:

James, in my long years of experience, I rarely see people making money in wholesaling as the process is full time and full on. It's not for everyone. The whole idea that "it's a great place to start because you don't need money or credit" is hogwash. It's a business and the biggest problem I see people make is to treat wholesaling as a side gig. I believe it takes a specific type of personality to make wholesaling a success and a program can't teach that.

Interesting perspective. Thanks for sharing. In my experience a lot of folks hesitation for getting into real estate as a wealth creating medium is the hefty amount of cash you need for a down payment. Real estate is advertised as this great investment strategy but traditionally it takes a lot of cash to start. I think that’s why people in a low capital situation lean towards wholesaling to build up their capital because it, in theory, takes none or very little to start. 

Having said that, what would be your personal recommendation to get started with RE investing(with little capital) outside of the cliche â€śsaving for a down payment for a duplex” strategy?

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Jul 25 2024, 05:19

Here's what you need to understand. The mentor can give you tools, but you have to put in the work. I can talk to you about what it takes to get in shape, but you have to actually get off the couch every day, get to the gym, work out in discomfort, and do it over and over again. Talking to someone on the phone is not going to make you successful. 

What information will this "mentor" share with you? The same information that's available in books for $14 (or free at the library) or for free in the forums and blogs. If the mentor is good, they will determine your goals and then tailor the information to your plan so that you can move a little faster and avoid a few mistakes, but you'll still have to do the work.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Taylor Waters
Votes |
Replied Jul 25 2024, 07:48
Quote from @Nathan Gesner:

Here's what you need to understand. The mentor can give you tools, but you have to put in the work. I can talk to you about what it takes to get in shape, but you have to actually get off the couch every day, get to the gym, work out in discomfort, and do it over and over again. Talking to someone on the phone is not going to make you successful. 

What information will this "mentor" share with you? The same information that's available in books for $14 (or free at the library) or for free in the forums and blogs. If the mentor is good, they will determine your goals and then tailor the information to your plan so that you can move a little faster and avoid a few mistakes, but you'll still have to do the work.

True. Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Tim Ryan
Votes |
Replied Jul 25 2024, 09:37
Quote from @Tim Ryan:
Quote from @James E.:
Quote from @Tim Ryan:

Interesting perspective. Thanks for sharing. In my experience a lot of folks hesitation for getting into real estate as a wealth creating medium is the hefty amount of cash you need for a down payment. Real estate is advertised as this great investment strategy but traditionally it takes a lot of cash to start. I think that’s why people in a low capital situation lean towards wholesaling to build up their capital because it, in theory, takes none or very little to start. 

Having said that, what would be your personal recommendation to get started with RE investing(with little capital) outside of the cliche â€śsaving for a down payment for a duplex” strategy?

Here's the best thing I can tell you on your question:  learn to be the ultimate entrepreneur.  Is that teachable? I'm not sure.  Why do I say this? Because an entrepreneur will learn about real estate investing (which we are all doing), then go out and find a good deal, THEN go out and raise the money - thereby not needing their own money.  Sounds crazy to accomplish? Or sounds doable?  There lies your answer as to whether you can do it or not.

User Stats

Votes
Tim Ryan
Votes |
Replied Jul 25 2024, 09:49

I created this chart after studying for years why some people succeed in real estate investing, and others don't.  I give speeches on this and the explanation of the 4 quadrants. It might surprise you to hear about each one - and which is the most important (of course I think I've already let the cat out of the bag).  If anyone is interesting in what I've discovered, DM me.

User Stats

Votes
Taylor Waters
Votes |
Replied Jul 25 2024, 10:45
Quote from @Tim Ryan:
Quote from @Tim Ryan:
Quote from @James E.:
Quote from @Tim Ryan:

Here's the best thing I can tell you on your question:  learn to be the ultimate entrepreneur.  Is that teachable? I'm not sure.  Why do I say this? Because an entrepreneur will learn about real estate investing (which we are all doing), then go out and find a good deal, THEN go out and raise the money - thereby not needing their own money.  Sounds crazy to accomplish? Or sounds doable?  There lies your answer as to whether you can do it or not.

Thanks, Tim. I have a lot to learn.