I am relatively new to RE investing and my second rental is currently on the market. A couple in their late 50's want to rent the unit since their relatives live across the street. The woman mentioned that she was convicted for aggravated robbery 24 years ago and served 20 1/2 years in prison. She now has a stable job with the city and offered to pay double the security deposit if I would consider their application. The rental has been on the market for a week and I have mostly section 8 tenants interested (which I have decided not to consider at the present time). Would you consider the couple or wait for a few more weeks to see if the applicant pool picks up? Their credit score is also slight less than the minimum credit score required to qualify so I can reject them based on those grounds. Thank you for your input.
Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
2y
Everyone can do what they want but I don't rent to felons. I suppose if someone's felony was some kind of drug use thing 30 years ago and was a one time thing I might consider it. Aggravated robbery and 20+ years in prison almost certainly means a violent robbery. In my state (TN) it means either the use of violence against the person being robbed such that they suffer serious bodily injury, or the use of a deadly weapon during the course of the robbery in order to accomplish the robbery (i.e. putting a gun to someone's head). That's not the kind of felony I personally would look past.
Investor · FL · Member since 2024 · 5 posts · 6 votes
2y
I once rented rented to a felon. At the time I had a bad feeling about it but decided to give them a chance. It turned out to be a nightmare. The guy would beat his wife outside of my house and later I found out he was a sex offender. I was afraid to leave the house. At the time I had 3 young girls and it became a very scary situation. I had to evict them and they destroyed my property when they finally left. The point is that you never know. You have to listen to your inner voice, run background checks and get recommendations. I think the background check would give you a good idea if this person is a repeat offender or someone who committed a felony did their time and reformed.
I agree with Bruce-what does your gut say? The conviction was a long time ago and she told you what it was. I know of a person who was convicted of manslaughter (he got into a bar fight when he was young and the person fell and hit their head on a counter and died). Not all crimes are the same and it depends on what the person has done since then. 24 years is a long time...unless it is someone who beat his wife, then hell no.
Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 659 posts · 376 votes
2y
I would check with local experts before making a decision. In my area, they have recently made it a violation to turn down an applicant for having a criminal record.
Thank you all for your comments. I am a bit apprehensive about accepting them but will research local laws to make sure that I am not in violation of anything. I could reject them because their credit score is a bit lower than my minimum qualification standards as well. Thank you all for your input.
I am relatively new to RE investing and my second rental is currently on the market. A couple in their late 50's want to rent the unit since their relatives live across the street. The woman mentioned that she was convicted for aggravated robbery 24 years ago and served 20 1/2 years in prison. She now has a stable job with the city and offered to pay double the security deposit if I would consider their application. The rental has been on the market for a week and I have mostly section 8 tenants interested (which I have decided not to consider at the present time). Would you consider the couple or wait for a few more weeks to see if the applicant pool picks up? Their credit score is also slight less than the minimum credit score required to qualify so I can reject them based on those grounds. Thank you for your input.
I’d be more interested in why the credit scores were low and what the husband had been doing all this time. Also how had she spent last three and a half years?
She was in her mid-20s when she offended, and 20 years is huge offense.
But it was almost 25 years ago, and now she has a decent job.
If she has to register as a sex offender or such then no. But I am more interested in why the credit score for the two of them is low.
Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
2y
Everyone can do what they want but I don't rent to felons. I suppose if someone's felony was some kind of drug use thing 30 years ago and was a one time thing I might consider it. Aggravated robbery and 20+ years in prison almost certainly means a violent robbery. In my state (TN) it means either the use of violence against the person being robbed such that they suffer serious bodily injury, or the use of a deadly weapon during the course of the robbery in order to accomplish the robbery (i.e. putting a gun to someone's head). That's not the kind of felony I personally would look past.
Rental Property Investor · Carson, CA · Member since 2019 · 185 posts · 74 votes
2y
@Melissa Faraias
Most definitely yes! Screen them as you would any other tenant. I think it’s admirable that they even opened up and told you that. Personally I’m an ex-felon and I own 7 rental properties. Everyone deserves a chance if qualified.
Investor / Mentor / Contractor · Arcadia, CA Buying Out of State · Member since 2015 · 654 posts · 622 votes
2y
She paid her dues for 20+ years. I would not reject for this purpose. Could be a great opportunity to help someone get back on their feet. My dad taught me this while growing up, he rented to and hired many felons. We never had any issues. He taught me about forgiveness and love. My 2 cents.
Lender · Tampa, FL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
2y
I've been a part owner of two different restaurants in my time (two very stupid decisions on my part). A business partner and I purchased a pizza place in Tampa from a small Italian chain that was wanting to move out of the market. We rebranded, but kept the employees, furniture, equipment, fixtures, etc. I was warned about one guy, we'll call him John. He was the husband of their best waitress and he had just gotten out of prison for dealing drugs. They had a couple of kids together and, against the previous owners' better judgement, they gave in to their best waitresses request to hire the husband. When we went over who we were inheriting, I was told that we might want to give rid of the convicted felon. Fast forward a few months, I had fired half of their "great employees". They were robbing me blind...all except for John. John worked his tail off and became my most trusted employee. When I went to replace a shift manager that I caught stealing, I got guff from my business partner when I brought up John as a replacement. It was my call and I called John and asked him to come in a bit early to start his shift. I think he thought I was going to fire him. He teared up when I gave him the keys to the store. "No one's given me a chance like this...I won't let you down"...and he didn't. I'm not saying take this person on, but I wouldn't dismiss her out of hat. Really, really dig. My first instinct was to not take John on...I'm really glad I dug a bit deeper.
I am relatively new to RE investing and my second rental is currently on the market. A couple in their late 50's want to rent the unit since their relatives live across the street. The woman mentioned that she was convicted for aggravated robbery 24 years ago and served 20 1/2 years in prison. She now has a stable job with the city and offered to pay double the security deposit if I would consider their application. The rental has been on the market for a week and I have mostly section 8 tenants interested (which I have decided not to consider at the present time). Would you consider the couple or wait for a few more weeks to see if the applicant pool picks up? Their credit score is also slight less than the minimum credit score required to qualify so I can reject them based on those grounds. Thank you for your input.
Firstly, the people telling you to go ahead with it will not be there to pick up the pieces if it falls apart or is a daily headache.
If you’re committed to it, I would get my hands on the case number and read the prosecution’s statement before signing anything.
Thank you all. I appreciate all the responses. My gut tells me to give her a second chance but my brain tells me that I don't have enough experience in being a landlord to take the risk. I have told them that their application is 'in review' and am continuing my search for a tenant that meets all my pre qualifications. Thank you all once again.
Investor · Manteca, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
2y
As is often the case on BP, in these situations you will get a 50/50 split of "hell no vs give them a second chance".
Its your call.... IMO, aggravated assault, and did 20 years.... not a "light crime". I'm going to pass. I'm not in the position to stick my neck out for a felon and deal with the ramifications if I'm wrong.