Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Jordan Scott
Votes |
**Newbie-first rental investment**

Jordan Scott
Posted Jun 18 2024, 09:52

Hubby and I close on first rental investment property next week!! Exciting, nervous, all the feels. We are following the BRRR method, so I've been doing my homework, but have a couple questions for the experienced.
Property is located in Magee, Mississippi, population of about 4000, mixture of renters and buyers. Property close to an area that a builder will start throwing up homes. 
What I’ve read and research I feel like I’m getting a mixture in regards to the rehab phase. I’m seeing that some investors advocate for higher end materials when you can-granite counters, stainless steel appliances, tile bathroom. However, the realtor that I’m working with (has properties in surrounding Jackson area) has a more “renter ready” approach because renters tear things up anyway. Also, the contractor said he would lay vinyl all the way through and skip the granite. Thoughts?? Still waiting on an estimate from this contractor and meeting with one more this evening. on one hand, if it is in the budget, would it be smarter to lay the nicer things, but then the unknown of a bad renter tearing the house up makes me nervous. How do you weigh the pros and cons? Other factors that help you make a decision? Get with the builder and see the plans for the new houses? 

Loading replies...