San Francisco: Buy primary residence first, or start investing elsewhere?

San Francisco: Buy primary residence first, or start investing elsewhere?

Real Estate Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2012 · 23 posts · 4 votes

Hey everyone! I'm a new investor in San Francisco and I'm trying to find the best way to get started.

TLDR: I'm trying to decide whether it'd be best to start by buying my own primary residence in SF or start with investment property in Florida.

Background

I'm originally from Florida and have family in Cocoa Beach. I plan to invest heavily in that area mostly because of proximity to family and the fact that we visit often. It's also quite a bit less expensive compared to SF and being a fairly popular vacation destination gives us a nice fall back option in the event of vacancies or changes in the economy. In particular, I'd like to buy and hold small to medium sized multi-family properties on the beach.

My wife and I are currently living in a small one bedroom apartment in the middle of San Francisco. We got in at a good price in a great neighborhood with rent control and it's a pretty nice apartment, but we'd really love an extra bedroom and a little more space. I'd also like to be paying off my own mortgage rather than my landlord's :D The problem is homes are so expensive that it would significantly impact how much money we have left to invest each month, at least initially.

Financial Situation

Right now I have no debt other than a small car loan, a couple thousand in savings and about $50k in stocks I could sell for investment capital. We currently have about $2500 / month we can put towards saving and investing. If we buy, that would go down to $1000-1500.

In order to get in on the market here, we'd need to buy in a less desirable neighborhood (but still fine — and potentially more possibility for appreciation), and wouldn't be able to get exactly what we want, but mostly. The upside is at least we'd have a house here. We'd also have a lot more room and although we'd be paying quite a bit more towards housing each month, it'd be building OUR equity rather than the landlord's.

I'm also in a bit of a unique situation where I'm able to get a 0 down loan with no PMI at 5.125%. I'd pay a little more in the long run, but could buy now before prices go up too much more.

The other scenario I'm considering is waiting until the end of the year and buying a small multi-family property in Florida with the goal being to acquire one or two more the following year and THEN buy our own place in year 2 or 3.

If I buy here in SF, as long as the house doesn't need a ton of work, I'd still be able to buy investment property about a year from now. The difference would be I'd just need to start with cheap SFRs or duplexes and work up to the 5-10 unit MF buildings I'd prefer to hold long term.

So with all that background, what would you guys recommend? Thanks ahead of time!

0Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
12y

my personal advise: buy in SF, hand down.

Why? We're at the start of the RE cycle and I believe your chances of significant appreciation are very high. You can later buy in FL if you wish, but I wouldn't be surprised if the percent equity you gain in your home is greater than what you gain in equity plus cash flow in FL.

FL is mostly a boom and bust market. SF is basically an up and up market. As you know it's extremely restricted wrt growth, has tons of tech money pouring in, and is in constant demand. Like everywhere, SF went down during the recent Great Recession, but most neighborhoods were down 10-15% while most other cities were down 30-50%. And SF is already up BEYOND its high of 2007. It's like recession, what recession?

Oh, and as for the 'my home is/is not an investment' debate, here's my take: if you gain equity (almost a certainty in SF) than you can borrow against it to buy more real estate (and to me that makes it an investment.) Worked for me. Like a charm.

My personal opinion- if you can afford to buy here, do it.

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    my personal advise: buy in SF, hand down.

    Why? We're at the start of the RE cycle and I believe your chances of significant appreciation are very high. You can later buy in FL if you wish, but I wouldn't be surprised if the percent equity you gain in your home is greater than what you gain in equity plus cash flow in FL.

    FL is mostly a boom and bust market. SF is basically an up and up market. As you know it's extremely restricted wrt growth, has tons of tech money pouring in, and is in constant demand. Like everywhere, SF went down during the recent Great Recession, but most neighborhoods were down 10-15% while most other cities were down 30-50%. And SF is already up BEYOND its high of 2007. It's like recession, what recession?

    Oh, and as for the 'my home is/is not an investment' debate, here's my take: if you gain equity (almost a certainty in SF) than you can borrow against it to buy more real estate (and to me that makes it an investment.) Worked for me. Like a charm.

    My personal opinion- if you can afford to buy here, do it.

  • Rental Property Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    I recommend you start with an investment property in SF. Home ownership isn't all that it's cracked up to be. Rent the smallest home you can and buy as many rental properties as you can.

  • Real Estate Coach · Venice Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Howdy. Wrote an article about this question since so many people ask it. Maybe it will help-

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2014/01/18/buy-house-buy-investment-property/

  • Real Estate Agent · Realtor - Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 342 posts · 55 votes
    12y

    Good article @Ali Boone ....you motivated me to stay on my original path. I agree with the content of your article.

    Thanks for sharing...!!!

  • Specialist · Orange County, CA · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 623 votes
    12y

    Hi @Account Closed,

    Welcome to BiggerPockets!

    You live an a great market, that unfortunately is overpriced. If you pencil out the number you might find that it makes more sense to rent your residence and use your capital to invest in income-producing real estate in other markets. Then keep doing that to build up your portfolio and cash-flow. I too live in California but have invested out-of-state since late 2003.

    Post any other questions you have.

    Be sure to check out the Ultimate Beginners Guide as well as my 10 Rules of Successful Real Estate Investing.

    Continues success!

  • Palo Alto, CA · Member since 2014 · 24 posts · 13 votes
    12y

    I've made too much money buying/selling my own residences to totally buy into the Kiyosaki "your house is not an investment" thing. Here in certain areas of the Bay Area, I don't really consider it speculation to bet on appreciation in the long term, though you might have to hold through possible recessions to benefit from it.

    With that said, I am kind of in the same boat as you. I have been renting for the past few years, and I'm currently looking for a place to buy in Palo Alto, which like San Francisco is crazy expensive. Because of mortgage interest tax deductions and appreciation, it makes a lot of financial sense for me to buy and stop renting. However, the down payment is going to take up a lot of cash, and the PITI is going to suck up a lot of salary. Also, that's a good point about it being more difficult to get conventional financing for real estate investing if your debt to income ratio is high. On the other hand, it is frustrating to be renting and see the astronomic appreciation that has occurred here over the past year.

    Taking all of this into consideration, I'm wondering if buying is the right thing to do. Right now I'm leaning toward yes, buying is the right thing for me. If I do buy, I will be aiming at the lower end properties, so that I will still have money for real estate investing.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2014 · 52 posts · 35 votes
    12y

    Interesting thread. Did you end up deciding @Skyler Vander Molen?

    Prepping a move up the the bay from socal so I'm also thinking about this.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.