Votes
Jared Van Horn
  • Medford, OR
Votes |
Keep or sell?

Jared Van Horn
  • Medford, OR
Posted Apr 18 2024, 20:49

I just finished redoing 2 duplex on one lot. Each unit is a 3/2 with 1100 sq ft each. One duplex had a fire in it and I had it down to studs. New everything beyond studs. Custom black oak cabinets. Very modern and no corners were cut. Back duplex got pretty much a full makeover from sheetrock on. All units look the same. I have right at 700,000 into them with projected rent at 1700-1850 per unit. Each unit has a yard and patio. I have a hard money loan through a family member and that is included in that 700k.  I can sell the units hopefully for about 840,000 before realtor fees of 5 percent and whatever I'll be taxed on. Am I silly for wanting to sell it and put it towards my next rental or should I be trying to keep this? The 700k loan is kind of a scary thought rn. I've flipped about 6 houses but now I'm wanting to do them and hold. I just rented out my first property and want to continue and grow. 

User Stats

Votes
Bill Schrimpf
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Reno, NV
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Reno, NV
Replied Apr 18 2024, 22:33

Hard or private money is usually short term.  If you refi into a 30 year, your debit service will be about $5k +taxes and insurance, whatever that is in OR.  Doesn't look like it will cash flow.  If you live in one unit and do the house hacking thing, your mortgage gets subsidized.  Not all bad...

Or sell, and get out with $90k before taxes...

User Stats

Votes
JD Martin
  • Rock Star Extraordinaire
  • Northeast, TN
Votes |
  • Rock Star Extraordinaire
  • Northeast, TN
ModeratorReplied Apr 18 2024, 22:43
Quote from @Jared Van Horn:

I just finished redoing 2 duplex on one lot. Each unit is a 3/2 with 1100 sq ft each. One duplex had a fire in it and I had it down to studs. New everything beyond studs. Custom black oak cabinets. Very modern and no corners were cut. Back duplex got pretty much a full makeover from sheetrock on. All units look the same. I have right at 700,000 into them with projected rent at 1700-1850 per unit. Each unit has a yard and patio. I have a hard money loan through a family member and that is included in that 700k.  I can sell the units hopefully for about 840,000 before realtor fees of 5 percent and whatever I'll be taxed on. Am I silly for wanting to sell it and put it towards my next rental or should I be trying to keep this? The 700k loan is kind of a scary thought rn. I've flipped about 6 houses but now I'm wanting to do them and hold. I just rented out my first property and want to continue and grow. 

Based on those numbers I would almost certainly sell. 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Kiel
  • Investor
  • Tucson, AZ
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tucson, AZ
Replied Apr 18 2024, 22:59

When I analyze a property that I've owned for a while I start by looking at one key number - return on equity.  Based on your numbers it looks like around 90k in real equity (how much cash can you really get if you sell, not the paper equity).  With the projected rents, even after a refinance, your ROE is a negative number.  Another question I like to ask is "would I want to own 10 more just like this property?".  

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Freed
  • Investor
  • Worcester, MA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Worcester, MA
Replied Apr 19 2024, 03:03

@Jared Van Horn - As everyone indicated, it seems like these properties are negatively cash flowing and it has a hard money loan on there hence I would sell them and repurpose the equity into a cash flowing asset.