Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Kevin DiMaggio
Votes |
Pay off first home with house hacking or invest in another?

Kevin DiMaggio
Posted

Hi there! Looking for some advice, so I'll try to provide as much info as possible. My fiancée and I purchased our first home in 2017, and accidentally stumbled into about $125,000 of equity with it. It was a foreclosed HUD home, we bought it for $125,000, and it's now worth about $250,000. We currently owe about $102,000 on the mortgage, with an interest rate of 3.75%. We've also been house hacking with it, even before we knew what that meant. Our expenses are about $1,400 monthly (plus the occasional oil fill up). We have 3 roommates, and their rent totals $1,900. So we have $500 income most months (oil is so expensive). I also work a part time job and bring home between $300-400 weekly from that, and we have savings in the $60,000 range. We're looking at purchasing another home, and are unsure which route we want to take. We're considering the following options:

1) Purchasing a single family/duplex and renting it out, continuing to live in and house hack our current house and building equity slowly.

2) Purchasing a duplex, rent out one side and live in the other, rent out current house. With this option, we're wondering if it's better to offer it as a 3 bed 1.5 bath with 2 bonus rooms (which we live out of), or rework one of the rooms into an actual bedroom to make it a 4 bed.

With either option, we're also wondering if it's best to have the cashflow of our current house to offset any unexpected expenses, or if we should pay extra and try to pay off our current house as soon as possible. One intangible factor is that we'd really like to live in a new area, so if numbers end up being comparable, we'd end up looking out of state for the duplex to rent half of. Any wisdom or insight would be highly appreciated, as this would be my first big real estate move! Thank you!

Loading replies...