Off market properties, work with a realtor or purchase directly from a Wholesaler?

Off market properties, work with a realtor or purchase directly from a Wholesaler?

Investor · Volusia County · Member since 2020 · 11 posts · 9 votes

Hello, I'm looking to purchase properties in my local area (Volusia County, Florida) with the goal of Fix and Flip, or BRRRR, should I work with a realtor or buy directly from a wholesaler? Any thoughts, recommendations, or pitfalls to avoid would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

1Reply
176 views

Most Popular Reply

Shawn McCormickPro Member
Realtor · Central Florida-Orlando · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 892 votes
2y

@Louis Alumbaugh There are many questions to figure out what the right path would be here. If you buy from wholesalers, you understand the common 'rules' that apply. They sell to cash or hard money buyers only, generally no inspection period, non refundable deposit and you are paying the your and the sellers closing costs. 

If you can accept those terms and have the cash, it can be a quick way to get a property, but if you don't have experience, you'll likely get taken advantage of in some way. Wholesalers tend to overinflate the ARV and under estimate repairs needed as many do very little due diligence, putting all the risk on you.

When you use a Realtor (especially one who invests themselves, don't fall for I'm an investor 'friendly' agent..of course they are, most will take a sale wherever it comes from and by shear numbers, they are bound to sell to an investor eventually. Find one that actually invests themselves, interview them. If you do find one that is good, they will have the tools and knowledge to help protect you and give you 'outs' of the contract that a wholesaler will not. If you are financing the purchase, the lender will also provide protection, you will get an inspection done to protect you and so on. I'm not bashing wholesalers or agents, but they each have their place and very few actually have the knowledge to have your best interest as a top priority. They should also be able to provide comps that are accurate and an ARV that is realistic and hopefully contractors that can give you real world estimates.

I would consider going to meet ups in your area. CFRI (Central Florida Realty Investors) has a county meeting for Volusia and you could come to the general meeting in Orlando too. Great place to network with other local investors, trades, wholesaler and agents. I can send you a free guest pass if you want to check it out. 

Best of luck. Reach out if I can help any further.

See this reply in the discussion

19 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2023 · 348 posts · 190 votes
    2y

    Hi Louis! I'm in Orlando! If you choose to work with a realtor, you're going to have to pay them a commission. I would recommend working directly with a trustworthy wholesaler. Are you connected with any wholesalers? Are you attending any local real estate meetups? What is your buybox? I have so many questions, I'd be happy to connect and walk you through some things. 

  • Lender · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 447 posts · 441 votes
    2y

    Hey Louis, if you are a newer investor, I suggest working with a realtor, as they can help guide you through the process for your first deal. I sometimes see first-time investors get taken advantage of by wholesalers, and if you are an experienced investor, the probability of that decreases significantly. @River Sava has a pretty big network of realtors across the country; reach out to her if you want to be connected with an investor-friendly agent. I only work with agents who are also investors, as they are looking at a deal the same way that you are 

  • River SavaPro Member
    Lender · USA · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Tanner Lewis:

    Hey Louis, if you are a newer investor, I suggest working with a realtor, as they can help guide you through the process for your first deal. I sometimes see first-time investors get taken advantage of by wholesalers, and if you are an experienced investor, the probability of that decreases significantly. @River Sava has a pretty big network of realtors across the country; reach out to her if you want to be connected with an investor-friendly agent. I only work with agents who are also investors, as they are looking at a deal the same way that you are 

     Thanks for the mention @Tanner Lewis! Happy to connect with you Louis and point you in the right direction. As mentioned, it can be very helpful to have an investor friendly realtor guide you through the process. Let me know / send me a dm!

  • Shawn McCormickPro Member
    Realtor · Central Florida-Orlando · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 892 votes
    2y

    @Louis Alumbaugh There are many questions to figure out what the right path would be here. If you buy from wholesalers, you understand the common 'rules' that apply. They sell to cash or hard money buyers only, generally no inspection period, non refundable deposit and you are paying the your and the sellers closing costs. 

    If you can accept those terms and have the cash, it can be a quick way to get a property, but if you don't have experience, you'll likely get taken advantage of in some way. Wholesalers tend to overinflate the ARV and under estimate repairs needed as many do very little due diligence, putting all the risk on you.

    When you use a Realtor (especially one who invests themselves, don't fall for I'm an investor 'friendly' agent..of course they are, most will take a sale wherever it comes from and by shear numbers, they are bound to sell to an investor eventually. Find one that actually invests themselves, interview them. If you do find one that is good, they will have the tools and knowledge to help protect you and give you 'outs' of the contract that a wholesaler will not. If you are financing the purchase, the lender will also provide protection, you will get an inspection done to protect you and so on. I'm not bashing wholesalers or agents, but they each have their place and very few actually have the knowledge to have your best interest as a top priority. They should also be able to provide comps that are accurate and an ARV that is realistic and hopefully contractors that can give you real world estimates.

    I would consider going to meet ups in your area. CFRI (Central Florida Realty Investors) has a county meeting for Volusia and you could come to the general meeting in Orlando too. Great place to network with other local investors, trades, wholesaler and agents. I can send you a free guest pass if you want to check it out. 

    Best of luck. Reach out if I can help any further.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2020 · 45 posts · 16 votes
    2y

    I am a big vote for a realtor who is a very good active flipper. They should be doing at least 2-4 full remodels on their own per year on the high end. If you can come in and do your job buy, remodel and sell well (=fast) they are making very good money on you. It becomes a serious toss up for them to purchase, invest and do all the work or to make money on you with the commissions on the buy and the sell. If you can act fast, build quality remodels on time that sell you become a good choice for them. You will start to get first choice of what is available from their significant network. Of course the price point will be a motivating factor because you are talking commissions. You will also get their contractors and connections eventually because they will be VERY interested in you completing the work on time. 

  • Tyler GibsonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Louis Alumbaugh:

    Hello, I'm looking to purchase properties in my local area (Volusia County, Florida) with the goal of Fix and Flip, or BRRRR, should I work with a realtor or buy directly from a wholesaler? Any thoughts, recommendations, or pitfalls to avoid would be greatly appreciated.

    Thank you

     I would echo many of the things that @Shawn McCormick said. 

    The number one thing I would suggest is to get involved in local real estate meetups and start to meet other wholesalers in person that you can develop relationships with. 

    @Bernadeau C. hosts a monthly gathering. 

  • Adam BartomeoBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    I am fairly surprised to see the responses here. I have been a real estate investor for about 20 years and I opened my real estate brokerage 5+ years ago, I have found that the far majority of agents don't even understand the standard contracts. They barely know where the buyers and sellers are supposed to sign. How would you ever expect them to understand a wholesaler's contract or what ramifications that contract may have? My experience tells me that there are probably 5% of agents that would be able to assist you with this type of deal and finding them would be very difficult. It is probably better to ask an experienced investor to read over the contract to gain their thoughts. You could even ask an experienced wholesaler to look it over.

  • New to Real Estate · Alhambra, CA · Member since 2023 · 1 post · 0 votes
    2y
     @Jason Meissner:
    Hi Jason,
    Do you buy houses from wholesalers? And if you do, what is your buy box? I am in Alhambra nearby.
  • Specialist · NJ · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 652 votes
    2y

    So, however the property comes to you, it comes to you.  Run the numbers and see if they work.  Lots of times agents have the relationships with the wholesalers, but it is fine if you have the relationship directly too.

    Build your property funnel as big as it can be, that is have properties coming at you from as many pipelines as possible.  Only 1 out of every 10 may work so it takes some digging.

    A good rule of thumb: If the purchase price + the rehab is equal to or less than 70% of the ARV then I'd say go for it.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2020 · 45 posts · 16 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Alma Jauregui:
     @Jason Meissner:
    Hi Jason,
    Do you buy houses from wholesalers? And if you do, what is your buy box? I am in Alhambra nearby.

    Hey Alma,

    We will look at any opportunity in the area. My bosses are very Pasadena, South Pasadena and Altadena Specific. We have purchased in Mt Washington and Glendale but our sales did not go as fast as our main areas. Condition does not matter. SFR is probably the best bet for this group of buyers. They normally buy between $750k and $1.3 to sell at $1.3 to $2mil+. I look forward to hearing from you.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2020 · 45 posts · 16 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Adam Bartomeo:

    I am fairly surprised to see the responses here. I have been a real estate investor for about 20 years and I opened my real estate brokerage 5+ years ago, I have found that the far majority of agents don't even understand the standard contracts. They barely know where the buyers and sellers are supposed to sign. How would you ever expect them to understand a wholesaler's contract or what ramifications that contract may have? My experience tells me that there are probably 5% of agents that would be able to assist you with this type of deal and finding them would be very difficult. It is probably better to ask an experienced investor to read over the contract to gain their thoughts. You could even ask an experienced wholesaler to look it over.


    I agree, but I think a lower percentage than 5% would know what to do investing and remodeling. That is the point. Now you have a criteria for a realtor that CAN help you. One who is doing more investing and remodeling than you (2-4 per year). If you are in business only hire the best. 

    If you have a nice house and you are in a busy real estate market you can let a relative or friend list your house without loosing too much, if they are good workers. But if it's your business, only go with a realtor who is richer than you and better at investing  in real estate than you. Don't use out of area if there are local heavy hitters and you need top dollar. 

    Nothing ever applies to everything. I think there are locations where you won't find anyone dominating the area, or kicking *** remodeling homes. But if you do find that area ... why are you there? Who is your buyer?

    I love working with people who I can learn from.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2020 · 45 posts · 16 votes
    2y

    Hey Louis,

    You are looking for the best deals to take advantage of. You will want to be working with any source of property. Talk to everyone and look at every property you can that meets your criteria. Don't make commitments, do good work, pay fast and they will of course come back and ask you to buy the next time, if you have money.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Evergreen, CO · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 736 votes
    2y

    You don't even need to do any of that. You can do it all on your own with a simple monthly or annual subscription to Privy. On and Off Market. It can helps with comps. Great deal Over 10 years in business. Most MLS markets now.

    On Market Home in Indianapolis - 34% of ARV!

    Privy

    I also am just a friend of the owner. Get nothing for mentioning it. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2015 · 476 posts · 263 votes
    2y

    Work with both! :) 

    As an investor, you have to have not 1 way of getting properties, not 2 ways… but more like 10 to 20 ways of getting off market homes (or better yet.. good deals). 

    and keep in mind, that I am a realtor :) 

    The name of the game is "options" 

    You do want to have a great Realtor that you can bounce ideas and comps off of. Hopefully you respect their time and are loyal to them once the time comes to sell the properties. 

    I get calls and texts from my clients all the time saying, "Sebastian, what do you think about this deal from a whole-seller?" 

    and I don't mind giving them my opinion of value and doing some work for them, as they give me referrals and business when ever they can! Often times I go to other realtors in my area and let them rep. my buyers as long as I get the listing back once the homes are ready for sale. 

    So, to recap, work with Realtors, Lenders, Whole-sellers, other investors, friends, family, direct to seller mailers, cold-calling, etc etc to get the deals. Build a team of trusted people / advisors (ie contractors, lenders, realtors, wholesalers, drafters, architects, title reps, escrow officers, etc to m are sure you all achieve success!) 

    Good luck 

  • Real Estate Agent · Member since 2023 · 831 posts · 577 votes
    2y

    work with both!

  • Real Estate Agent · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2015 · 476 posts · 263 votes
    1y

    If you are asking this question it says a lot. It tells me that you are relatively new, that you do not know the bad things that could happen when working with a whole-seller, how to protect yourself from one, and how to Identify the good ones and the good properties they send you vs the bad ones. 

    It also tells me, that you haven’t worked with a good agent or talked to a good agent yet…. 

    Now, the problem is that 50% to 80% of realtors won’t know how to work with whole-sellers or know how to guide you with an investment property either… so what to do? 

    Like some people have mentioned here: interview for agents that know what they are doing, that know investments, that know how to get ARVs , that know how to assess renovations, construction costs, etc 

    A realtor that has this experience will have a team also: Think Contractors, Architects or drafters, Interior designers, Engineers, inspectors, title reps, and they will also already have whole sellers they have worked with in the past, know how to get direct to seller off market homes for you, hard money lenders or other avenues for cash like offers. They should know the process like the back of their hand… if not, do not work with them. Reach out if you need help and I can guide you in the right direction. Good luck 

  • Specialist · NJ · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 652 votes
    1y

    You need to create a property funnel.  A pipeline that connects you to the kind of deals you want.  It also depends on if you are a cash buyer or a financed buyer and it depends on what your buy box is as far as price point.

    I'd also do some research in your market and see what kind of spreads there are in that market. A distressed 3/1.5 house goes for? And the top ARV of a 3/1.5 is?

    Some markets the BRRRR does not work well. The spread between purchase and ARV isn't big enough.

  • Specialist · Member since 2021 · 56 posts · 5 votes
    1y

    @Louis Alumbaugh If you have the “buyers” and the knowledge to help your client make an informed decision, then you should work with a wholesaler. your commission is to be added to the wholesale contract price of the property being offered.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.