Should I save money again or seek investors

Should I save money again or seek investors

Homeowner · 942 McLean Ave Saint Paul, MN 55106 · Member since 2023 · 8 posts · 6 votes

I’m pretty new into real estate, this is more of a spin off of the question, do you need money for real estate, or how much of your own does it take.  Is anyone familiar with Grant Cardone and if so how does he fit into this question. My assumption and how I have so far operated was that, you save and buy as your savings and buying power allows. I’ve seen a lot of the ads and such that Grant Cardone puts out claiming you don’t need money to win in real estate. A co-worker actually paid for his classes and sort of summarized the concept to me, you make a proposal to an investor and if they like your plan, they may invest and if you follow certain guidelines for properties you will make money. I refused to pay for his class because it just seemed like I’m paying for a class to fuel him instead of working towards my own goal. My first property has gone incredibly smooth and I’m at a point where I am convinced I can replicate my process on a larger scale and start making some good money. I’m sort of stuck at this point of, should I hustle for a year or two again working 90 hour weeks tunnel visioned on saving 50k for a second property or is that a waste of my time and what I am trying to pursue.  The model I’m working for is taking the traditional sober house set up, and taking the sober part out and opening it up to the entire room rental market. There’s a house manager, and individual rooms rented.  It’s incredible easy for 4-5 people paying $750 per month and a house manager paying $400 a month to cover a 300k mortgage with a good amount left over after utilities and such.  The coolest part is it potentially fits into the affordable housing plans of my state and I am currently working on trying line it up to where I may be able to get half the loan interest free.  I rented out the three extra rooms in my house within a week and it’s been an awesome experience and I want to put my time and energy into doing it again but larger and more focused on profitability, instead of free housing and equity for myself.  I should be able to manage both the properties myself, property managers would be more down the line.  So the question I guess is, should I put the time and energy into trying to connect with an investor or accept that part of this game is patients and saving over time.  All questions and responses welcomed.  

0Reply
10 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • G. Brian DavisPro Member
    Investor · Hatboro, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 850 votes
    2y

    There are plenty of ways to invest relatively small amounts in real estate. 

    On the passive investing side, you can invest in crowdfunding platforms (Groundfloor is my favorite, but Arrived, Ark7, and Fundrise are all worth checking out as well). Better yet, invest passively in private equity real estate syndications. Those are a lot of fancy words to say group real estate investments, where you own a small piece of a big apartment complex or other large property. That's what we do in our investment club: we vet new real estate syndications deals each month, and anyone who wants to participate can do so with $5K. Most syndication deals target annualized returns in the 15-30% range.

    Another option is to do a joint venture deal with an experienced investor. You don't necessarily need much if any money, if you provide the deal and do some gopher work. You negotiate the terms with your partner. 

    In my 20s, I bought a bunch of rental properties. I spent the rest of my 20s and my 30s hating every second of being a landlord. Today I only invest passively, and let professional asset managers do the work of finding deals, hassling with contractors and tenants, etc. 

  • Homeowner · 942 McLean Ave Saint Paul, MN 55106 · Member since 2023 · 8 posts · 6 votes
    2y

    Thank you Brian, those are good suggestions.  I had researched crowd funding before but those are some new names to be you mentioned as well as information on them.  I like the idea of doing a joint venture deal, I can imagine how land lording can become frustrating very quickly but my experience has been positive so far and I’m not super worried about the amount of time it would take for two properties.  From being a general manager for a dominos downtown across the street from an event center and down the street from a shelter, I’ve developed pretty thick skin.  Just the concept of doing the work for my own business is a massive game changer from what I am used to in terms of dealing with issues.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.