Accelerated depreciation in a qualified opportunity zone fund

Accelerated depreciation in a qualified opportunity zone fund

Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2021 · 34 posts · 10 votes

I've been deeply immersed in researching real estate investments since I recently had a business sale that resulted in substantial capital gains. As I explore my options, I'm particularly interested in funds like Trilogy and others that offer potential tax benefits.

My question revolves around the deductions available through these funds based on the investment amount. While I can appreciate the long-term benefits of holding investments for around 10 years and the potential for a favorable IRR, I'm unsure if it makes the most financial sense to invest a significant portion of my capital gains in them right away. It seems that to make a significant impact on my capital gains taxes, I would have to invest the majority of the funds.

Instead, I've been considering the option of finding a real estate investment that allows for accelerated depreciation. This approach could potentially enable me to deduct more than just my out-of-pocket costs, providing additional tax advantages if I'm understanding this correctly.

I'm keen to hear from those of you who are familiar with these types of funds, particularly when it comes to the deductions they offer. Does investing in a qualified opportunity zone fund genuinely help with capital gains while also providing long-term investment benefits? Alternatively, have any of you opted to join a real estate developer on an LLC and invest directly in qualified opportunity zones, taking advantage of accelerated depreciation and other tax benefits?

I hope my question is clear, and I'm grateful for any insights or experiences you can share on this topic.

Thank you in advance for your valuable feedback!

2Reply
32 views

Most Popular Reply

Financial Advisor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2018 · 110 posts · 96 votes
3y

These are good questions @Alton Johnson.  The QOZ funds will provide capital gains tax deferral until the end of 2026.  Then the tax bill is due.  After 10 years the gain on the OZ becomes tax free.

These funds do offer economics associated with the project.   Since most of these projects are ground up construction, you can think of the economics in that way. 

We do believe there are passive loss benefits associated with QOZs.  Its complicated and you will want to run that past your CPA.

The other option you mentioned, buying real estate and utilizing accelerated / bonus depreciation, could work.  Or you could consider a combination of both a direct investment and QOZ.  This is spreadsheet exercise and ultimately what you are most comfortable with.  

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2023 · 20 posts · 12 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Alton Johnson:

    I've been deeply immersed in researching real estate investments since I recently had a business sale that resulted in substantial capital gains. As I explore my options, I'm particularly interested in funds like Trilogy and others that offer potential tax benefits.

    My question revolves around the deductions available through these funds based on the investment amount. While I can appreciate the long-term benefits of holding investments for around 10 years and the potential for a favorable IRR, I'm unsure if it makes the most financial sense to invest a significant portion of my capital gains in them right away. It seems that to make a significant impact on my capital gains taxes, I would have to invest the majority of the funds.

    Instead, I've been considering the option of finding a real estate investment that allows for accelerated depreciation. This approach could potentially enable me to deduct more than just my out-of-pocket costs, providing additional tax advantages if I'm understanding this correctly.

    I'm keen to hear from those of you who are familiar with these types of funds, particularly when it comes to the deductions they offer. Does investing in a qualified opportunity zone fund genuinely help with capital gains while also providing long-term investment benefits? Alternatively, have any of you opted to join a real estate developer on an LLC and invest directly in qualified opportunity zones, taking advantage of accelerated depreciation and other tax benefits?

    I hope my question is clear, and I'm grateful for any insights or experiences you can share on this topic.

    Thank you in advance for your valuable feedback!

    Hi! Alton,

    QOZ funds offer tax benefits for investing in distressed areas. Direct real estate investments through an LLC allow control and accelerated depreciation.

    Consider your goals and consult experts before deciding.

    hope it helps!

  • Financial Advisor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2018 · 110 posts · 96 votes
    3y

    These are good questions @Alton Johnson.  The QOZ funds will provide capital gains tax deferral until the end of 2026.  Then the tax bill is due.  After 10 years the gain on the OZ becomes tax free.

    These funds do offer economics associated with the project.   Since most of these projects are ground up construction, you can think of the economics in that way. 

    We do believe there are passive loss benefits associated with QOZs.  Its complicated and you will want to run that past your CPA.

    The other option you mentioned, buying real estate and utilizing accelerated / bonus depreciation, could work.  Or you could consider a combination of both a direct investment and QOZ.  This is spreadsheet exercise and ultimately what you are most comfortable with.  

  • Julio GonzalezPro Member
    Specialist · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    @Alton Johnson Opportunity Zones can be a great investment vehicle. Looks like Patricia and Brandon already tackled your question, but here's an article with some FAQs on Opportunity Zones that you may find helpful. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions!

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/311/topics/1058707-oppo...

  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    There are pros and cons to investing in a QOF.

    The number one con is the hold period requirement.
    This is a LONG term play, not something that you can say that you want to back out in a couple of months.

    Also be mindful that the capital gains that are deposited into a QOF are deferred for only a few years.
    Inflation helps as it is better to pay for a tax in the future than today.

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2021 · 34 posts · 10 votes
    3y

    Gotcha. Thanks so much for all the responses on this! My biggest hope in this process is to not have to dump all of the capital since the sale of the business since it technically wouldn't feel like a huge "win" just yet (especially after the past 5 years of nonstop working). It seems like investing directly into a QOZ opportunity with another business may be the way to go, considering the accelerated depreciation benefits.

    Thanks again!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.