Color to paint house to sell faster?

Color to paint house to sell faster?

Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 1 vote

In your opinion, what is the best color to paint the whole interior of the house to sell faster?

1Reply
12 views

Most Popular Reply

Bruce WoodruffPro Member
Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
3y

Depends on the area. What have others done that you like the looks of?

A craftsman area will use different colors than a more modern area. 

Having said that, I'd stick to more mellow (not bright) colors like gray, sage, tan, etc...

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y

    Depends on the area. What have others done that you like the looks of?

    A craftsman area will use different colors than a more modern area. 

    Having said that, I'd stick to more mellow (not bright) colors like gray, sage, tan, etc...

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    When I sold my house in Los Angeles (I tricked the place out before selling it to get top-dollar - only spent 30K or so on the upgrades) my realtor hired a designer and the designer showed me a few color combinations for the exterior and I chose one I liked. 

    For the interior, my realtor swore up and down to go with off white for the walls. Now this went against everything I stand for as I hate rentals that have white walls because it's what the lazy landlords do. 

    My realtor maintained that we didn't want to choose an interior color the prospective buyer might not like. I was like MAAAAH! but I trusted the process and we sold the house for more than I thought possible and so I reckon she was correct. 

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    This will not make it sell faster, but I use agreeable gray.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Christopher Rogers:

    In your opinion, what is the best color to paint the whole interior of the house to sell faster?


     This is discussed often and the answer is usually the same: neutral colors of light grey, beige, or white. Any other color may be off-putting. Neutral colors allow them to see the space and then choose their own colors for personalization.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Real Estate Agent · San Pedro, CA · Member since 2019 · 253 posts · 128 votes
    3y

    @Christopher Rogers In most cases I prefer white. It seems to brighten up every room and a fresh coat of white paint makes everything feel more clean, both of which are attractive qualities for prospective buyers when they view properties. For those that dislike white paint, we portray it as a "blank canvas"

  • Real Estate Agent · Tipp City, OH · Member since 2018 · 65 posts · 35 votes
    3y

    I like to use light neutral colors (typically a beige or gray) with a fresh coat of white on all the trim. Stick with colors that most people will like. You don't want to scare off a potential buyer just because of a crazy colored wall.

  • Melanie ThomasBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · San Antonio · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 489 votes
    3y

    Anything neutral so that it appeals more to the masses. Good luck and happy investing! 

    RentWerx Property Management4.73300 Reviews
  • Real Estate Agent · Member since 2023 · 38 posts · 35 votes
    3y

    Zillow once wrote an article stating that greys and darker statistically will bring more $$$ to the closing table (I believe they said something like 7k more) . My personal opinion agrees as many buyers are looking for a more contemporary feel without having the ability to new build. However, I will never be sure that a company that lost 530 million flipping houses is right. 

  • Lender · Seattle, WA · Member since 2022 · 482 posts · 768 votes
    3y

    maybe two diff sets of colors for ceiling and walls to make it more vibrant @Albert Bui @Carlos Valencia

  • Real Estate Agent · East Central Florida · Member since 2021 · 121 posts · 94 votes
    3y

    When doing my flips, I usually paint different gray shades with accent walls having a color in the similar gray spectrum.  Something like a muted light gray all around, then a blue-gray or stone color as an accent in the master and other key areas of the home.  Usually buyers love it.

  • Eric GoldmanBusiness Member
    Lender · PA · Member since 2019 · 359 posts · 192 votes
    3y

    i saw somewhere that brown was the color of the year. lol. light gray always looks good. i would be "agreeable" on that lol

    G2loans- Investor and Commercial Mortgages531 Reviews
  • Realtor · Athens, GA · Member since 2023 · 201 posts · 104 votes
    3y

    If you are staging then you could bring in some color and set the tone of a room, but if you're just going to have plain furniture or no furniture then light grays and whites make a space look clean and large, bounce light well and make semi gloss trim paint pop.

  • New to Real Estate · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2021 · 110 posts · 58 votes
    3y

    when it comes to choosing a paint color to sell a house, it's generally best to go for neutral colors that will appeal to the widest range of potential buyers. Neutral colors such as beige, gray, or white can help create a clean, fresh, and welcoming look, making it easier for buyers to envision themselves living in the space. Additionally, neutral colors provide a blank canvas for buyers to add their own personal touches once they move in.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.