I made a rookie mistake and destroyed my future!!!

I made a rookie mistake and destroyed my future!!!

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes

THE SITUATION

My first investment was a townhome, bought sight unseen on the recommendation of my father-in-law who was a REALTOR with 15 years experience. My mortgage, taxes, and insurance were $365 a month and I paid an HOA fee of $25. Rent was $425 a month, tenant paid their own utilities.

Expenses: $390

Income: $425

I knew nothing about the 1% rule, 50% rule, etc. I thought anything above the mortgage payment was "cashflow" and I would be raking in the money. If you run the numbers, it's clear this is a bad investment. To make matters worse, I had a sewer problem two months after purchase that cost $7,000 to repair (insurance covered $4000 of it). But wait, there's more! Two months later I got hit with a special assessment of $3,900 from the HOA that my REALTOR (aka: father-in-law) failed to tell me about. I paid $6700 to purchase the property, $3,000 in repairs, and $3,900 in special assessment.

I was a rookie and made a rookie mistake. I would need 400 months (33.33 years) of my $35 cashflow just to break even. Life sucks.

THE RESULTS

Here's the reality. I held onto the property for eight years. I put the $35 "cashflow" into a savings account and used it only for maintenance or vacancy. My rents increased over the years and I eventually had what most investors would consider a strong cashflow. Eight years later, I sold the property for an $85,000 profit. My total return was over 500%. In layman's terms, I turned $14,000 into $85,000 in eight years despite a housing crash three years before I sold, and despite the mistakes made along the way.

THE POINT

Prior to 2010, beginning investors had no access to fancy calculators, free websites like BiggerPockets, or even a lot of books. These mom-and-pop investors saved up some money, found a cute house in a nice neighborhood, they bought it, and they held on.

It's easy for all of us to get wrapped up in the numbers. We spend a ridiculous amount of time educating ourselves, crunching numbers, and looking for the perfect situation that will guarantee a 12% return because anything less is a waste of time. Don't get caught in that trap! I knew nothing about real estate in 2004. My first investment looked like a complete loser. If I saw that deal today, I would walk away from it. But real estate is a forgiving investment vehicle and many, many mistakes can be erased if you just hold on.

Don't kill yourself over the numbers.

Don't be scared that properties don't cashflow like they did three years ago.

Don't wait for the perfect deal and miss 100 mediocre ones.

Get out there and invest!

The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
28Reply
44 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Vancouver · Member since 2021 · 165 posts · 137 votes
3y

So how did it destroy your future

Or is this another clickbait title

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2022 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    3y
    Such a great story. Thanks for sharing. 
  • Investor · Vancouver · Member since 2021 · 165 posts · 137 votes
    3y

    So how did it destroy your future

    Or is this another clickbait title

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Maksu Ize:

    It's a click-bait title, for sure! 

    I don't do it often, but I'm seeing an increasing number of investors complaining they can't find anything that cashflows in today's market. That may be true, but it doesn't mean you shouldn't invest. My first investment did not cashflow, but it still produced an incredible return.


    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Real Estate Broker · Fayetteville NC · Member since 2021 · 55 posts · 26 votes
    3y

    Thank you for this story! Definitely needed to read it!

  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2023 · 11 posts · 5 votes
    3y

    Thank you for sharing that story! Really encouraging, lots of good lessons to take away from this.

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2022 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    3y

    Great perspective Nathan. Getting hung up on the numbers is REAL. Especially for first time investors like myself then you're stuck in the analysis paralysis stage. 

    RE is usually the long game. Take a chance and what you learn along the way is invaluable as well.

  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2023 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    3y

    Thank you for the post! As I'm working with my RE agent and lender, I'm getting fits of anxiety about messing everything up on my first property. What else would you do differently in this situation @Nathan Gesner?

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Michael Kawashima:

    Thank you for the post! As I'm working with my RE agent and lender, I'm getting fits of anxiety about messing everything up on my first property. What else would you do differently in this situation @Nathan Gesner?

    Well, I wouldn't buy a property that barely covers the mortgage, but I am definitely loosening my standards. 

    In the past I would look for a property that covers the mortgage, 50% of rent going to reserves, and still have $100 a month cash flow. Those days are gone, and I'm more financially stable. I will be looking for 25% down with rent income covering the mortgage and 25% of rent going to reserves.  If that is my break-even point, I should still be fine until the market improves. 
    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2023 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Nathan Gesner:
    Quote from @Michael Kawashima:

    Thank you for the post! As I'm working with my RE agent and lender, I'm getting fits of anxiety about messing everything up on my first property. What else would you do differently in this situation @Nathan Gesner?

    Well, I wouldn't buy a property that barely covers the mortgage, but I am definitely loosening my standards. 

    In the past I would look for a property that covers the mortgage, 50% of rent going to reserves, and still have $100 a month cash flow. Those days are gone, and I'm more financially stable. I will be looking for 25% down with rent income covering the mortgage and 25% of rent going to reserves.  If that is my break-even point, I should still be fine until the market improves. 

     Thank you for your answer! Sounds like a solid rule to follow. 

  • Maynard, MA · Member since 2017 · 13 posts · 8 votes
    3y

    Thanks for sharing this Nathan - it's a testiment to holding real estate for long durations.

  • Jake AndronicoBusiness Member
    Realtor · Reno, NV · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 938 votes
    3y

    Love this!! Thank you for sharing. 

  • Peter MckernanBusiness Member
    Residential Real Estate Agent · Irvine, CA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Nathan Gesner:

    This is a great story as there are so many situations where people get thrown into because someone says it's a good deal, does not run the numbers or even know how to run the numbers then find out that they got a not so great deal. After the years of owning it, the appreciation goes up by forced or natural (years of holding), and then you sell it for a profit or the rents go up to cashflow a good amount. 

    Hindsight is 2020, when you look at 2009, and you did not buy, when you look at 2012 and you did not buy, and even if you bought in 2019 and you did not buy. There are some many examples that can be set into place, buy something and time fixes it with real estate. You need to make sure you do your homework; however, you can do something the right and wrong way. These days with rates being high is the same example of, wow should have bought in 2014 or 2020, or 2021 when the rates were low. So many "what ifs" and you played this out out great good job on the perfect example if how your money can grow! 
     

    The McKernan Group4.957 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.