Should I start or take another year to prepare in an apt?

Should I start or take another year to prepare in an apt?

Member since 2022 · 12 posts · 4 votes
I'm wanting to get into a multi-family house hack in 3-6 months. I'm currently not in my own place and would like to be on my own as soon as possible, an apartment is also an option.

I started a new job 3 months ago that increased my income to ~$80-90k/yr (sales, mostly base salary with some commision) and I do ride sharing on the side to get up to around $100k. Monthly expenses are low, just a car payment and cell phone bill. All debt is closed accounts so technically no monthly payment due to them.

If I go with the house hack:
Depending on the bureau, credit is currently around a 560-600. Debt is $15k in closed accounts, I'd be looking to pay off $5k of them to bump my credit to hopefully 620-630 by the time I were to actually purchase in the next 3-6 months. I'm OK with a higher interest rate in the short term, I can always refi in the future. With paying off some small debts to bump my credit I could have about $12-14k saved in 6 months. Duplex's in my area are around $250k and I've been told that there is down payment/closing cost assistance that could fund me $11k total. If true, I could have enough to get into a property. Once in, I'd continue to save a decent reserve fund since I would keep my low cost of living.

If I go with an apartment, I could do a house hack in 12-18 months depending on what kind of rent I could get.

If you were in my shoes and needed to get a place, would you go ahead and go with the house hack or wait, get an apartment, pay of all debt and get a savings together and then do a house hack 1-2 years later?
0Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

New to Real Estate · Sunnyvale CA and Maplewood, NJ · Member since 2022 · 257 posts · 161 votes
3y
If it were me, I would wait to buy, as tough as that may be to hear. It sounds like you are going to need more savings. You don't want your bank account balance to go to zero the day you close. "Once in, I'd continue to save a decent reserve fund" sounds like the riskiest part to me. What if the property needs repairs or capital expenditures before you had a chance to build the reserve fund up?

Your attitude is admirable and I think you're on the right track with getting your personal finances in order. What about getting a roommate in an apartment for the next year so you could save money faster?
See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • New to Real Estate · Sunnyvale CA and Maplewood, NJ · Member since 2022 · 257 posts · 161 votes
    3y
    If it were me, I would wait to buy, as tough as that may be to hear. It sounds like you are going to need more savings. You don't want your bank account balance to go to zero the day you close. "Once in, I'd continue to save a decent reserve fund" sounds like the riskiest part to me. What if the property needs repairs or capital expenditures before you had a chance to build the reserve fund up?

    Your attitude is admirable and I think you're on the right track with getting your personal finances in order. What about getting a roommate in an apartment for the next year so you could save money faster?
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y

    Investors should be 100% debt free (not counting their primary residence, if they have one). They should have an emergency fund of $1,000 and they should have 3-6 months of living expenses saved up. Once you've stabilized your finances, then you can start saving money for investments.

    You have very few expenses, so I would put every single dime towards paying off your debt, then start saving. Lenders will typically want to see two years of stable income before they lend to you, so you have time to get things in order before starting.
    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Member since 2022 · 12 posts · 4 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Nathan A.:
    If it were me, I would wait to buy, as tough as that may be to hear. It sounds like you are going to need more savings. You don't want your bank account balance to go to zero the day you close. "Once in, I'd continue to save a decent reserve fund" sounds like the riskiest part to me. What if the property needs repairs or capital expenditures before you had a chance to build the reserve fund up?

    Your attitude is admirable and I think you're on the right track with getting your personal finances in order. What about getting a roommate in an apartment for the next year so you could save money faster?
    Thanks for the input. It's not what I want to hear but it's what I needed to hear.
  • Member since 2022 · 12 posts · 4 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Nathan Gesner:

    Investors should be 100% debt free (not counting their primary residence, if they have one). They should have an emergency fund of $1,000 and they should have 3-6 months of living expenses saved up. Once you've stabilized your finances, then you can start saving money for investments.

    You have very few expenses, so I would put every single dime towards paying off your debt, then start saving. Lenders will typically want to see two years of stable income before they lend to you, so you have time to get things in order before starting.

    You're right. It's somewhat comforting to read this. I knew it deep down but I want it so bad I was willing to take the risk. The more I analyze my market the more it makes sense to wait. There's not many turn key multifamily properties in my area. I'll take the time to save and build credit.
  • Rental Property Investor · Oregon City, OR · Member since 2020 · 324 posts · 780 votes
    3y

    Talk to a lender. See if it's feasible. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.