New Investor. Choosing between 2 different out of town cities.

New Investor. Choosing between 2 different out of town cities.

New Orleans, LA · Member since 2017 · 80 posts · 35 votes

A little back story on my current situation.  Unmarried, no kids and no current properties owned.    I am an overemployed IT professional with an above average income from just 1 job.  I am 100% remote and will never see an office another day in my life.  I also currently live in Atlanta and fly free.

My focus is purely multifamily properties which severely limits my options in my current city.  Given the number of available options that each city has I am narrowing my options down to either New Orleans or Chicago.  I have ties to both cities.  Honorable mention of Baton Rouge as well.  My fiance is from Chicago which gives me people on the ground I can call on as an out of state investor when it comes to vetting things like property managers and trades people that will be needed when owning property.  Much of my family is actually from New Orleans and specifically in the construction business.  And for these reasons I also spend a lot of time in both cities as it is.

With all that said my thought process is as follows.

I am also a vet and plan on using my VA loan for the initial property purchase. Ideally a 3 to 4 unit property as 1 unit will be "called" my primary residence. I dont have any plans to move from Atlanta any time soon if at all and my fiance will be in Knoxville for at least the next 18mo finishing up her PhD. Because of my income I am unconcerned with cashflow. And to be quite honest I am not even worried about coming out of pocket so long as a sizable portion of the expenses are covered by the other units. My main goal is mortgage paydown for cashflow down the line and to build equity faster to be used in future deals as well.

As I see it the 2 cities have their good and bad.  New Orleans has the obvious weather problems.  Chicago is a tenant friendly city and state.  Either way both have excellent options.

I would love any feedback on anything I have not considered or overlooked.  

0Reply
25 views

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    @Damon Aniton there is no one that can make this choice for you for sure, but I would tell you to buy in the best areas you can afford since cash flow isn't the big hurdle here. The better areas will also take care of the "tenant friendly" part of Chicago since you will have mostly awesome tenants in A and B class areas. Until I delved into C class areas, I never had issues with evictions and nonpayment very much. 

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2022 · 184 posts · 78 votes
    3y

    Multifamily is grossly overpriced nation wide right now. I am an acquisitions analyst at a firm in Denver where we model SFRs for clients in two midwestern markets. Actually getting better return from single family in the right market, even with 7% interest.

    Send me a DM if you're interested, always happy to chat. 

  • New Orleans, LA · Member since 2017 · 80 posts · 35 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Account Closed:

    Multifamily is grossly overpriced nation wide right now. I am an acquisitions analyst at a firm in Denver where we model SFRs for clients in two midwestern markets. Actually getting better return from single family in the right market, even with 7% interest.

    Send me a DM if you're interested, always happy to chat. 


    My first purchase will essentially be a primary residence since I am using the VA loan. Though I will only stay in it part time at best. I suppose even if I went single family I could short term rental it, long term so to speak. I am leaning New Orleans because I technically spend more time there as it is.

  • New Orleans, LA · Member since 2017 · 80 posts · 35 votes
    3y
    Quote from @John Warren:

    @Damon Aniton there is no one that can make this choice for you for sure, but I would tell you to buy in the best areas you can afford since cash flow isn't the big hurdle here. The better areas will also take care of the "tenant friendly" part of Chicago since you will have mostly awesome tenants in A and B class areas. Until I delved into C class areas, I never had issues with evictions and nonpayment very much. 


     That definitely makes sense.  It would come with higher rents as well.

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2022 · 184 posts · 78 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Damon Aniton:
    Quote from @Account Closed:

    Multifamily is grossly overpriced nation wide right now. I am an acquisitions analyst at a firm in Denver where we model SFRs for clients in two midwestern markets. Actually getting better return from single family in the right market, even with 7% interest.

    Send me a DM if you're interested, always happy to chat. 


    My first purchase will essentially be a primary residence since I am using the VA loan. Though I will only stay in it part time at best. I suppose even if I went single family I could short term rental it, long term so to speak. I am leaning New Orleans because I technically spend more time there as it is.


     I understand. Thank you for your service and best of luck!

  • Crystal SmithPro Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Damon Aniton:

    A little back story on my current situation.  Unmarried, no kids and no current properties owned.    I am an overemployed IT professional with an above average income from just 1 job.  I am 100% remote and will never see an office another day in my life.  I also currently live in Atlanta and fly free.

    My focus is purely multifamily properties which severely limits my options in my current city.  Given the number of available options that each city has I am narrowing my options down to either New Orleans or Chicago.  I have ties to both cities.  Honorable mention of Baton Rouge as well.  My fiance is from Chicago which gives me people on the ground I can call on as an out of state investor when it comes to vetting things like property managers and trades people that will be needed when owning property.  Much of my family is actually from New Orleans and specifically in the construction business.  And for these reasons I also spend a lot of time in both cities as it is.

    With all that said my thought process is as follows.

    I am also a vet and plan on using my VA loan for the initial property purchase. Ideally a 3 to 4 unit property as 1 unit will be "called" my primary residence. I dont have any plans to move from Atlanta any time soon if at all and my fiance will be in Knoxville for at least the next 18mo finishing up her PhD. Because of my income I am unconcerned with cashflow. And to be quite honest I am not even worried about coming out of pocket so long as a sizable portion of the expenses are covered by the other units. My main goal is mortgage paydown for cashflow down the line and to build equity faster to be used in future deals as well.

    As I see it the 2 cities have their good and bad.  New Orleans has the obvious weather problems.  Chicago is a tenant friendly city and state.  Either way both have excellent options.

    I would love any feedback on anything I have not considered or overlooked.  



    Not that you've overlooked it but VA loans are for owner occupants- "primary residence" as you noted in your post. It's very rare but maybe once in 20 years I've know someone with a government owner occupant loan that got is some trouble because he was maintaining 2 residences & calling them both primary depending on who they were dealing w/.  They somehow got caught and one of their loans was called. 

    Regarding Chicago being tenant friendly. If you run your business the right way, properly screening tenants and maintaining the property as if you were living there, then you'll never have to worry about tenants. Well almost never have to worry.

    With regards to New Orleans- When you run your numbers on deals there always examine the flood maps.  If a property is in a flood zone then make sure you add the flood insurance to your numbers.
  • Real Estate Syndicator · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2018 · 903 posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    @Damon Aniton Sounds a lot like my previous life! I'm a veteran and was an overpaid IT professional for 12 years :) Currently, full time in real estate and multiple properties at this point. 

    Let me offer some advice on remote markets. Do not pick markets only on desirability. Make sure you factor in some other logic. 

    What is desirability? Well, "I go there alot" or "my fiancee is from there". Both are more based on emotion and personal desirability. 

    It's fine that they play into the decision, but be sure and focus on rent growth numbers, population growth, landlord friendly (you got this one maybe), etc.

    I would also say knowing you have family in the area does not make a market a good market. It makes it an easy decision for you. 

    I wouldn't rely on family to be good investors, partners or assistants unless you are 100% confident in their ability in real estate ventures.

    Instead, partner with experts who are available in every market, if you spend the time to call them and develop a relationship. Take the time to call agents, property managers and the like to scope markets. They have a far better grasp on what's going on I assure you.

    I've been there, and I've seen it so this is just my advice after many multifamily and sfh acquisitions and management. 

    Much success!

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2021 · 62 posts · 86 votes
    3y

    Hey @Damon Aniton!

    Avoid the natural disasters and come invest in Chicago! I love what you said that you are not concerned with cashflow. Too many people have tunnel vision for cashflow and overlook the big picture of owning real estate and building net worth/generational wealth, especially in rapidly appreciating markets like many neighborhoods in Chicago. You can get beautiful turn-key 3-4 unit buildings in some of the best neighborhoods here for under $1M. Take a look at 2526 W Lexington. I have that under contract with an out-of-state buyer and the numbers are going to work out amazing for him! He will cashflow pretty decently on a 15% down loan. 

    Would love to talk more with you. Chicago is where it's at!

  • Surveyor · Member since 2021 · 54 posts · 38 votes
    3y

    @Damon Aniton This was sound advice by @Crystal Smith regarding looking at flood maps.  However, before you price in the cost of yearly flood premiums, there is one piece of due diligence to consider... determine if the flood zone designation can be removed.  

    Find an engineering firm that can provide a review of the flood property to determine if a FEMA petition to remove the flood designation is possible. If so, then that removes the lender requirement to carry flood.

    When you find a great property that meets your specs, but then you find it's in a flood zone don't think "costs"... instead think "a potential unrealized gain".  Why?  Because you could still buy it at the devalued flood property value, flip the flood zone, remove that yearly expense, and now you gained property value they didn't know was possible.

    Feel free to DM me.  Our firm does this work.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.