STR Owners in Nashville, what has your experience been like?

STR Owners in Nashville, what has your experience been like?

Member since 2022 · 2 posts · 0 votes

I'm a Nashville resident, and I'm hoping to buy my first home and house hack in the next year or so. I'm open to both long term and short term rentals, but am leaning short term rental because it seems more lucrative. Ideally, I would buy either a multi-family home or a single family home that could easily be hacked for STR (has a basement, etc.). I have some cash and also have a relative who is interested in investing with me. However, my resources are somewhat limited, so I am looking for something around $400k or lower. I know the 400k budget is limiting in Nashville, but I am not picky about where I live or what the house looks like, as long as I can make the numbers work.

I'd love to connect with someone who has undergone this process before or has some experience with STR or LTR in Nashville. I am a little confused as to which neighborhoods I should zero in on, what I can charge for rent (airbnb or otherwise), anticipated vacancy rate, etc. Because I live in Nashville, I have a general idea as to which neighborhoods would be attractive to renters, but am overwhelmed. Also, how do I find renter data (vacancy/prices to charge)? I know Zillow and similar sites can be used for LTR info and I imagine there are airbnb data sites, but am curious as to what people use re: data. 

0Reply
14 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    @Hollie Parrish

    I've run STRs myself and have helped several clients this year get house hack STRs. 

    Your budget is very low for what you are looking for and your budget is going to dictate where you can buy. The good news is that you will have some relief from the madness of the market from the past two years. 

    You're limited to Madison, Antioch, whites Creek, maybe Inglewood. I would recommend expanding your search 45 minutes outside of Nashville. Your numbers are going to be lower for purchase price and amount charged/night but it would open up more options. Take fore example a recent listing that came up in Crieve Hall with a livable basement. Needed an almost full renovation and was listed for 575k

    In terms of data you have AirDNA which is about 100/month. Airbnb also has a pricing guide and recommends how much you should be charging. The best data is going to be the data you collect on your own as you operate. The longer you operate, the more reviews you collect, and the higher your listing will rank. 

    Happy hunting!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.