Can I 1031 proceeds from a SF to commercial multi unit apt?

Can I 1031 proceeds from a SF to commercial multi unit apt?

Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 12 votes

I own a single family rental in RI, which cash flows and is rented to local college students Sept-May and I rent out via Airbnb weekly in the summer.  

Equity - approx $250K conservatively.  

I am likely inclined to keep it and find/generate funds for down payment on apt as next goal, and I am starting to educate myself in this area, but I was curious about whether 1031 is an option.  Thanks in advance for any insights!

0Reply
16 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    4y

    Yes, you are converting from an investment property to an investment property. They do not have to be the same type of property. You could exchange a single family home for a commercial building or a multi-family apartment complex for vacant land.


    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Dave FosterBusiness Member
    Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    4y

    @Judy Walsh

    @Nathan Gesner Is correct, any kind of investment property would qualify as "like kind" so long as you intend to use it for productive use in trade or business. One of the advantages of a 1031 is that you can switch from one kind of real estate into another that you are more comfortable with. A lot of our clients will find that they don't like LTR's so they will use 1031's to shift in the STR market or even something more passive like a DST.

    The 1031 Investor5137 Reviews
  • Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 12 votes
    3y

    @Nathan Gesner

    Thank you.

    This is helpful. Starting to investigate multi unit with cash flow optimization as primary goal.

  • Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 12 votes
    3y

    @Dave Foster

    Thank you

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.