Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$69.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Heidi Kenefick
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Hartford, CT
Votes |
Organaizing finances- baselane vs Rentastic vs avail vs rentredi?

Heidi Kenefick
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Hartford, CT
Posted

I’m at the stage where I need to get my finances more organized. Previously I had one property and one bank account but now I have three- one just finished a rehab and the third the rehab is underway.

Two use a PM but the third is rent by the room an a PM won’t take it.

So- now I need to organize my expenses and have looked at avail, rentredi, apartments.com, Rentastic and baselane. Does anyone have any experience with any of these platforms? It seems some do more bookkeeping/banking, and some are better for leases etc. Rentredi seems to do it all but the reviews for it say there are a lot of bugs and a lot of hidden fees.

Would appreciate honest feedback for the best way to get and stay organized!

Thanks,

Heidi

User Stats

Votes
Rupinder Singh
  • New to Real Estate
  • Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Milwaukee, WI
Replied
Quote from @Joe Maris:

Regarding Baselane, does anyone know when they will have an app for landlords and tenants? I'm considering Baselane for banking and accounting. I'm thinking apartments.com for marketing, leasing and maintenance requests. Has anyone used a similar setup? Would love to hear about experiences with apartments.com and Baselane. TIA

Joe, What did you end up using?

User Stats

Votes
Joe Maris
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied
Quote from @Rupinder Singh:
Quote from @Joe Maris:

Regarding Baselane, does anyone know when they will have an app for landlords and tenants? I'm considering Baselane for banking and accounting. I'm thinking apartments.com for marketing, leasing and maintenance requests. Has anyone used a similar setup? Would love to hear about experiences with apartments.com and Baselane. TIA

I used apartments.com for marketing. I plan to use it for maintenance requests, too, but so far no maintenance issues. Unless they fixed it, apartments.com was having trouble with criminal background checks. They could not provide reports. I will probably use something different next time . . . maybe work directly with Transunion. 

I'm using Baselane for accounting and rent collection. They still do not have an app, although they claim to be developing an app. They pay a minimal interest (around 4%) on account balances, and you can categorize transactions (much like Quicken if you're familiar with it). You can also have as many subaccounts as needed. I have one main business account, and then an account for each property (only one property at this time). The property account has a Deposit subaccount so I can track/hold refundable funds separately. The rent collection seems to work well. In addition to rent, you can setup late fees and other fees to be collected. I have non-english speaking tenants, and they registered the tenant portal to pay by ACH (so no fee). It's fairly easy for small portfolios. I like it so far. 

• Joe Maris
  • Baselane logo
    Baselane
    |
    Sponsored
    BiggerPockets prefers Baselane The #1 REI platform that integrates banking, rent collection and bookkeeping to save time and money.

User Stats

Votes
    Jamie Banks#2 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
    • Real Estate Consultant
    • Reston, VA
    Votes |
    • Real Estate Consultant
    • Reston, VA
    Replied

Baselane can help you get your finances more organized and is great for all rental types, including by the room. I use the software for my portfolio that consists of MTRs, STRs, and I have a property I rent MTR but by the room. I used a few other softwares before landing on Baselane which I chose due to the user friendly interface, integrated banking and bookkeeping, and the property management features. Baselane is also free!

User Stats

Votes
    • Real Estate Consultant
    • Reston, VA
    Votes |
    • Real Estate Consultant
    • Reston, VA
    Replied
    Quote from @Joe Maris:
    Quote from @Rupinder Singh:
    Quote from @Joe Maris:

I used apartments.com for marketing. I plan to use it for maintenance requests, too, but so far no maintenance issues. Unless they fixed it, apartments.com was having trouble with criminal background checks. They could not provide reports. I will probably use something different next time . . . maybe work directly with Transunion. 

I'm using Baselane for accounting and rent collection. They still do not have an app, although they claim to be developing an app. They pay a minimal interest (around 4%) on account balances, and you can categorize transactions (much like Quicken if you're familiar with it). You can also have as many subaccounts as needed. I have one main business account, and then an account for each property (only one property at this time). The property account has a Deposit subaccount so I can track/hold refundable funds separately. The rent collection seems to work well. In addition to rent, you can setup late fees and other fees to be collected. I have non-english speaking tenants, and they registered the tenant portal to pay by ACH (so no fee). It's fairly easy for small portfolios. I like it so far. 

Baselane doesn't currently have an app but I find most of the features that I am using (the banking, bookkeeping, and rent collection) features are mobile enabled and easy to use on my iPhone. 

I'm set up to collect rents, bank, and bookkeep with Baselane. For maintenance requests and other PM features I built my own set up using Monday. 

User Stats

Votes
    Max Emory
    Tax & Financial Services
    • Accountant
    • 100% Remote
    Votes |
    Tax & Financial Services
    • Accountant
    • 100% Remote
    Replied

Hey @Heidi Kenefick, for your master accounting software I recommend QuickBooks Online. But, you'll need to get with an REI-savvy bookkeeper/firm to help you set it up since it's not an REI-specific software. We've found it's more capable than others when it comes to integrations, reporting capabilities, and efficiencies.

The software you've mentioned will be better for the PM activities (property-specific transactions) than keeping up with your financials as a whole. Having a "master" accounting software allows you to blend all property-specific info with general business info to see your full financial picture. This is how our bookkeeping Clients operate and it works.

I've heard good things about Rentredi and Rentastic for PM. I haven't heard of Baselane.

I'm happy to help if you have any other questions or want to discuss any of this further.

User Stats

Votes
    Omar Samaniego
    • Midland, TX
    Votes |
    • Midland, TX
    Replied
    Quote from @Gannon Van Dyke:

I started using RentRedi this year and found it super helpful after transitioning from spreadsheets and Google drive docs and using docusign for leasing re-ups. There have been a few things that I feel like they could clean up, but it seems like they work hard at updating it to provide a lot of value. 

I signed up for Baselane today after switching from Mercury for my business account (LLC). I am a little concerned that they are newer, and also the wire thing someone mentioned. But from what I have seen it has a lot of useful accounting tools that should make my life significantly easier, and ultimately that's what my intent is. If you shoot me a message in a couple months I don't mind posting an update.

I currently own 5 properties, but am looking to pick up another 2-3 this year, so scalability is important for me. 

User Stats

Votes
    Omar Samaniego
    • Midland, TX
    Votes |
    • Midland, TX
    Replied
    Quote from @Omar Samaniego:
    Quote from @Gannon Van Dyke:

I started using RentRedi this year and found it super helpful after transitioning from spreadsheets and Google drive docs and using docusign for leasing re-ups. There have been a few things that I feel like they could clean up, but it seems like they work hard at updating it to provide a lot of value. 

I signed up for Baselane today after switching from Mercury for my business account (LLC). I am a little concerned that they are newer, and also the wire thing someone mentioned. But from what I have seen it has a lot of useful accounting tools that should make my life significantly easier, and ultimately that's what my intent is. If you shoot me a message in a couple months I don't mind posting an update.

I currently own 5 properties, but am looking to pick up another 2-3 this year, so scalability is important for me. 

Hi,

I wanted to check what is your assessment on Baselane banking? 
    thank you.

User Stats

Votes
    Bonnie Low
    Pro Member
    #1 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
    • Investor
    • Cottonwood, CA
    Votes |
    Pro Member
    • Investor
    • Cottonwood, CA
    Replied

I've used Avail in the past, but switched to Baselane last year. I did like some features of Avail as far as using it for developing the lease and collecting rent but that left me with too many other functions I had to handle elsewhere. And not being able to issue the deposit refund via Avail was the final straw for me. With Baselane I have the ability to do everything from initial vetting of the tenant to drawing up the lease to collecting rent (and issuing deposit refunds!), plus all of the banking and bookkeeping features. It's much, much easier to have all of this available in one place. And it's helping me keep my transactions organized so I'm prepared for tax season. That alone was the biggest improvement for my business practices and allowed me to take all of my bookkeeping in-house and eliminate the expense I was shelling out for a bookkeeper.

• Bonnie Low
  • User Stats

Votes
    Omar Samaniego
    • Midland, TX
    Votes |
    • Midland, TX
    Replied
    Quote from @Bonnie Low:

I've used Avail in the past, but switched to Baselane last year. I did like some features of Avail as far as using it for developing the lease and collecting rent but that left me with too many other functions I had to handle elsewhere. And not being able to issue the deposit refund via Avail was the final straw for me. With Baselane I have the ability to do everything from initial vetting of the tenant to drawing up the lease to collecting rent (and issuing deposit refunds!), plus all of the banking and bookkeeping features. It's much, much easier to have all of this available in one place. And it's helping me keep my transactions organized so I'm prepared for tax season. That alone was the biggest improvement for my business practices and allowed me to take all of my bookkeeping in-house and eliminate the expense I was shelling out for a bookkeeper.

This is helpful. Thank you. 

User Stats

Votes
    Bonnie Low
    Pro Member
    • Investor
    • Cottonwood, CA
    Votes |
    Pro Member
    • Investor
    • Cottonwood, CA
    Replied
    Quote from @Omar Samaniego:
    Quote from @Bonnie Low:

This is helpful. Thank you. 

You're welcome!

• Bonnie Low