Could use some advice on whether to use HELOC to fund first deal

Could use some advice on whether to use HELOC to fund first deal

Investor · Gainesville, VA · Member since 2022 · 8 posts · 4 votes

I have been spending a ton of time educating myself in the realm of RE Investing and I've been analyzing deals looking for a good one to make the jump. I believe I have found a few potentially worth making the jump but I'm not sure how to go about funding one. I found a house that would require a 20% down payment of $40k. This property should cash flow about $230/mo with a CoC ROI of about 4.5% if I were to pay the down payment in cash and put $20k in rehab. I do not have this in cash but after talking to a loan officer I do have enough equity in my personal home to get a HELOC for potentially as much as $140k for about 6.5%. If I took out $60k for down payment and rehab that would leave my monthly interest-only payment of $350. So the HELOC payment would be more than the monthly cash flow. However, I do have the ability to save up probably $3k a month from my day job so I could easily cover the difference and even begin to either save for my next deal or start to pay off the HELOC (or both).

Given all of this, does it make sense to do the HELOC just to get into a deal earlier or do you all think it would be better for me to wait and save up more capital before jumping in? Are there other funding options out there that would make sense in my situation? Thank you in advance for your help!

0Reply
32 views

Most Popular Reply

Matt McGuirePro Member
Rental Property Investor · Montgomery, TX · Member since 2018 · 201 posts · 103 votes
3y

Thats fantastic, congratulations! That's the way to use a HELOC. It's a lot like hard money. You need to be able to get out of it pretty quickly so it doesn't eat up your cash flow. I used hard money for a flip and the interest only was $2k/mo. It was not a big deal at first, but the house took 4 months to sell so I lost all that profit. That was my mistake for not knowing the ARV. I trusted my realtor and he was wrong. But, I learned a lot.

Another option for funding is borrowing from a 401k. You can borrow up to 50% or $50k whichever is less from a current 401K and you pay it back to yourself with interest. So, if you have variable interest debt, it might make sense to do that. There is almost no cost to do it. The risk is that if you leave your job for any reason before it is paid off, then it is considered a distribution and you have to pay a 10% penalty plus income taxes. But on 50K, that would only be like 5500 so it's not that bad. But otherwise, you pick your payback period between 1 and 5 years and then just pay yourself back with interest. The other great thing about it is that it doesn't show on your credit report as a loan since it is your money. I recently renovated a house using a credit card with an introductory 0% rate and have been making payments to reduce that. But when the time expires, I am just going to pay the rest off with my 401k. That way I never paid any interest on the cash and I will be paying myself an 8% return on that money. It was a way for me to finance this one myself. 

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Morris County, NJ · Member since 2020 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    @Shawn Furrow

    Is the hloc rate fixed?  What is the term?

    That is pretty risky to be making only the interest payment.  If you can swing the extra from your day job to pay off the hloc in under 12 months that might be okay.  Just a little risky...  But, you are looking at paying off $60k, right?  

    Its fine to use a hloc to tap your home's equity to fund a deal.  Just make sure you can pay it off so that you don't lose the roof over your head.  Also, you will need some reserves/cash in case of any unforeseen repairs, on either property.  I'm not quite sure I understand your financial situation, but it doesn't look like you are on solid footing...

  • Investor · Gainesville, VA · Member since 2022 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    4y

    @David M.

    Thanks for your reply! The HELOC would be variable rate for 30 years (10yr repayment, 20 year payback after that). As far as my financial situation goes, like I said I can conservatively save about $3k per month without squeezing myself. However that obviously isn't enough to pay back the HELOC in 12 months. My thinking was maybe pay it over 2-3 years but if I do that then it will be tough to save for the next deal. Ideally I would love to do a flip for my first deal to get some initial capital back after paying back the HELOC but in my local market (Washington, DC metro region) my agent feels it would be hard to flip anything other than a SFH but that would be too high of a price for me to start at.

  • Investor · Gainesville, VA · Member since 2022 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    4y

    @David M.

    And to clarify...I do have a decent amount of cash reserves for emergencies and other things that could go wrong. I just don't have any capital that I'm willing to put into a deal right now. This is my way of mitigating the risk of not being able to pay off the HELOC.

  • Morris County, NJ · Member since 2020 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    @Shawn Furrow

    With rising rates that pretty crazy to get into a variable rate instrument that will take you years to pay off.

    What sort of rehab are you looking at?  It can be kind of a pain, but what about using a renovation (for conventionals) option.  Its like a 203k, but 203k are specifically for fha loans.  That would let you roll the rehab into the loan.  The loan can kind of a pain but it would be a way to go. 

    Or, what about a seller's concession?  Yeah, in this market that's pretty tough to get accepted, but if that is what you can do to make the deal work.  I assume you are using a conventional.  I THINK the at that ltv you can get a 6% concession.  That would get you $12k.  maybe float some on some credit cards (yeah, watch your debt) but it sounds like you can squeeze it from your salary.  Start saving some now and between the time to close, time to take for rehab, and using the cards at the end with the grace period you may not even pay a cent in interest...

    Oh, and I'm not clear.  Are you short the entire money down?  Or, just the rehab funds?  I thought it was just the latter...

  • Morris County, NJ · Member since 2020 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Shawn Furrow:

    @David M.

    And to clarify...I do have a decent amount of cash reserves for emergencies and other things that could go wrong. I just don't have any capital that I'm willing to put into a deal right now. This is my way of mitigating the risk of not being able to pay off the HELOC.


     oh, didn't see this while I was writing my response...  If the deal is still there and the property doesn't, the seller's concession may work.  As long as the property will appraise, it doesn't hurt the seller...

  • Investor · Gainesville, VA · Member since 2022 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    4y

    @David M.

    Yeah the sellers concession is not a bad idea. I am short the entire amount down if I want to not take from my cash reserves. Sounds like I should probably wait and save up some more. Which was sort of what I figured but wanted to see if there were other options. I know it's always easy to come up with reasons to wait so I was trying to not do that haha. Thank you for your advice! Much appreciated.

  • Matt McGuirePro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Montgomery, TX · Member since 2018 · 201 posts · 103 votes
    3y

    Just found this post. So, @Shawn Furrow what did you end up doing? Just curious.

  • Real Estate Agent · Indianola, IA · Member since 2019 · 43 posts · 44 votes
    3y

    Would it work to do a cash out refinance to cover the down payment money instead? We've done it both ways. The last property we purchased using HELOC route as down payment funds and the monthly payment on it was killing our return so we actually ended up just refinancing the HELOC back into our house. Obviously this all depends on the current mortgage on your primary residence and running the numbers, but just another option to consider. As mentioned above, if you could pay back the HELOC fast then it could good option but if not then it just a matter of having strong confidence in your numbers.

  • Investor · Gainesville, VA · Member since 2022 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Matt McGuire:

    Just found this post. So, @Shawn Furrow what did you end up doing? Just curious.


    Thanks for checking in! So I ended up getting the HELOC and I am currently using it as short term funding for a property I just bought two weeks ago (first deal!). The HELOC covered the purchase of the house in full $80k as well as 80% of the renovation. My plan is to BRRRR this one and get most (or possibly all) of my HELOC money back out. We'll see how it goes!

  • Matt McGuirePro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Montgomery, TX · Member since 2018 · 201 posts · 103 votes
    3y

    Thats fantastic, congratulations! That's the way to use a HELOC. It's a lot like hard money. You need to be able to get out of it pretty quickly so it doesn't eat up your cash flow. I used hard money for a flip and the interest only was $2k/mo. It was not a big deal at first, but the house took 4 months to sell so I lost all that profit. That was my mistake for not knowing the ARV. I trusted my realtor and he was wrong. But, I learned a lot.

    Another option for funding is borrowing from a 401k. You can borrow up to 50% or $50k whichever is less from a current 401K and you pay it back to yourself with interest. So, if you have variable interest debt, it might make sense to do that. There is almost no cost to do it. The risk is that if you leave your job for any reason before it is paid off, then it is considered a distribution and you have to pay a 10% penalty plus income taxes. But on 50K, that would only be like 5500 so it's not that bad. But otherwise, you pick your payback period between 1 and 5 years and then just pay yourself back with interest. The other great thing about it is that it doesn't show on your credit report as a loan since it is your money. I recently renovated a house using a credit card with an introductory 0% rate and have been making payments to reduce that. But when the time expires, I am just going to pay the rest off with my 401k. That way I never paid any interest on the cash and I will be paying myself an 8% return on that money. It was a way for me to finance this one myself. 

  • Investor · Gainesville, VA · Member since 2022 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    3y

    @Matt McGuire

    Wow those all sound like great options. I especially like the 0% CC to 401k loan idea. Pretty creative. Thanks for sharing!

  • Investor · Gainesville, VA · Member since 2022 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    3y

    @Ashley Noethe

    Somehow I missed your reply until now. Yeah perhaps the biggest thing weighing on my mind right now is how much the house is going to appraise for when I'm done renovating it and how much of the HELOC we can pay back with the refi. So yeah hopefully my numbers turn out to be at least close. Thanks!

  • Fran PrattPro Member
    New to Real Estate · Georgetown, TX (ATX area) · Member since 2023 · 25 posts · 17 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Shawn Furrow:
    Quote from @Matt McGuire:

    Just found this post. So, @Shawn Furrow what did you end up doing? Just curious.


    Thanks for checking in! So I ended up getting the HELOC and I am currently using it as short term funding for a property I just bought two weeks ago (first deal!). The HELOC covered the purchase of the house in full $80k as well as 80% of the renovation. My plan is to BRRRR this one and get most (or possibly all) of my HELOC money back out. We'll see how it goes!

     @Shawn Furrow : how did it go? I am looking to do something similar and would love to hear how this went for you... TIA

  • Investor · Irvine, CA · Member since 2023 · 27 posts · 4 votes
    3y

    I would like to know how it went as well. 

  • Investor · Gainesville, VA · Member since 2022 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    3y

    @Fran Pratt @Joshua Patrick

    I was ultimately able to do a 100% BRRRR and get all of my investment back and it still cash flows about $200/mo after putting money away for CapEx, repairs, vacancies, etc. It's not a ton of cash flow but I get to use my money again so I'm pretty happy with that. I learned a lot which was my primary goal with this one. Now I'm currently looking for my second deal but it's been slim pickings in my area. Sorry for the late reply!

  • Matt McGuirePro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Montgomery, TX · Member since 2018 · 201 posts · 103 votes
    3y

    That's awesome! congratulations 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.