First deal analysis, after home inspection. Should I walk away?

First deal analysis, after home inspection. Should I walk away?

Investor · Buffalo/Niagara Falls · Member since 2021 · 7 posts · 0 votes

Hey all, 

     Got an offer accepted on first deal and after having the inspection I'm second guessing the purchase so I will break it down.

2 unit 4bd/2bth upper and lower 

PP-130 with 25% down

Originally seller wanted all cash offer for 124k.  They were worried the place wouldn't pass bank inspection.  Cash offer pulled away b/c it has a shared driveway.  They now opened to conventional so I offered 130 with a 2 month post occupancy (they are currently looking for a house to buy).  Inspection revealed that the service line from outside to the panel inside the house has a lot of water damage and you can see the calcium deposits on the breakers.  Looks like its been an issue for a long time.  House also has a single car garage but its a complete loss as the foundation is compromised and the whole garage has a lot of structural issues.  I'm fearful that the garage if knocked down will hurt appraisal in the near future.  Both furnaces are over 20 years old and showing signs that water is getting into them-very possible the chimney needs to be repaired. 

I don't want to lose the deal but struggling to find a way to make it work.  I plan on going back to the sellers and asking for some sort of either price reduction or credit.  Good chance they'll tell me to pound sand.  Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated 

0Reply
33 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
4y
Quote from @Robert Hubbard:

I don't want to lose the deal but struggling to find a way to make it work.  I plan on going back to the sellers and asking for some sort of either price reduction or credit.  Good chance they'll tell me to pound sand.  Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated 

Your words: struggling to make it work.

If it's a good deal, it works on its own. You're trying to force a deal to pencil out, which is a big red flag. Walk away and look for a real deal.
The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y

    You need to have someone look at the issues that can give cost estimates to repair them. Does the pricing take those into account? If the issues were resolved, would the property be worth more? It's just a numbers issue. Figure out how the cost of the property plus the cost of repairs compares with the ARV.

  • Investor · Buffalo/Niagara Falls · Member since 2021 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    4y

    I have been doing the research to get an idea of cost and it's hard to determine the ARV bc there's nothing recently sold in the area that was a 2 unit on the nicer end.
    also the pricing does not take any of the issues into account  

    Thank you for the input!! 

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y

    You've got a lot of money going into repairs there....not including the deal about the garage. It's true if you lose it, it will affect the value....and it will cost a lot to bring it back. I think you've got $50k to make the place right. Is it still worth it? Probably not.....

  • Deland, FL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Robert Hubbard:

    Hey all, 

         Got an offer accepted on first deal and after having the inspection I'm second guessing the purchase so I will break it down.

    2 unit 4bd/2bth upper and lower 

    PP-130 with 25% down

    Originally seller wanted all cash offer for 124k.  They were worried the place wouldn't pass bank inspection.  Cash offer pulled away b/c it has a shared driveway.  They now opened to conventional so I offered 130 with a 2 month post occupancy (they are currently looking for a house to buy).  Inspection revealed that the service line from outside to the panel inside the house has a lot of water damage and you can see the calcium deposits on the breakers.  Looks like its been an issue for a long time.  House also has a single car garage but its a complete loss as the foundation is compromised and the whole garage has a lot of structural issues.  I'm fearful that the garage if knocked down will hurt appraisal in the near future.  Both furnaces are over 20 years old and showing signs that water is getting into them-very possible the chimney needs to be repaired. 

    I don't want to lose the deal but struggling to find a way to make it work.  I plan on going back to the sellers and asking for some sort of either price reduction or credit.  Good chance they'll tell me to pound sand.  Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated 


    Have you seen the threads on this forum about the nightmares of doing a  post occupancy?


    I would walk away for they alone.  Not to mention the other red flags 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Robert Hubbard:

    I don't want to lose the deal but struggling to find a way to make it work.  I plan on going back to the sellers and asking for some sort of either price reduction or credit.  Good chance they'll tell me to pound sand.  Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated 

    Your words: struggling to make it work.

    If it's a good deal, it works on its own. You're trying to force a deal to pencil out, which is a big red flag. Walk away and look for a real deal.
    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Investor · Buffalo/Niagara Falls · Member since 2021 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    4y

    Thanks for the insight, giving it a thirty thousand foot view I could definitely find a better deal!  Appreciate it much!! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.