Challenge: $30k a month in rental profit in 5 years?

Challenge: $30k a month in rental profit in 5 years?

Scotch Plains, NJ · Member since 2013 · 12 posts · 2 votes

Challenge: How would you achieve a goal to make $30k a month in rental profit in 5 years?

Newbie here. I've set a goal for myself to make $30k a month in rental profit in 5 years (shoot for the moon goal for me). I have some cash in a retirement account that I want to stretch as much as possible to achieve this goal. I know it's not enough to make a down payment on a 5 fam+ unit though and I figure I need as many of those as possible to achieve the goal. So my plan is to:

1. Flip as many houses as I can to raise capital for the down payment on the MFDs. I already have one under contract that should net me a conservative profit of $50k. Another oppty just came to me this week that looks to be similar. But I don't have enough $$ to do both (ugh!) b/c I'm putting my cash into the first flip (need to figure out how to stretch dollars :)

2. Use profits I make from flips to buy a MFD.

3. Take the equity out of the MFD and reinvest that in another oppty (flip or MFD).

Keep doing this as long as I can.

Seasoned investors, how would you make this goal a reality? Any advice on the above plan would be greatly appreciated!

2Reply
180 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
13y

OK, this deal makes more sense:

Do realize that if you do flip this house pretty quickly you may well burn a bridge with the lender. Maybe, maybe not. With lenders make this sort of mortgage, they expect it to be out for a while. Not a few months for a fix and flip.

When you sell this you will have commissions (about $12,000) and closing costs (about $4,000). You can reduce the closing costs significantly by doing a "hold open" on the title insurance when you buy and then requiring the end buyer to use the same title company. You'll have some purchase closing costs, perhaps $2000. You'll have mortgage origination costs around $2000, too. Not sure if the $7,000 for taxes is property tax for six months, transfer taxes or something else, so I'll use your number as is. You'll also have insurance. "Empty house" at the very least. Builder's risk would be better. Certainly not homeowners unless you're moving in shortly after the purchase. I'd guess that at around $1500 for six months. (These policies are very expensive and provide poor coverage, but its all you can get in situations like this.) Six months interest is under $1500. So, I get $30K in costs. Yeah, I can see a $50K profit out of the deal. That is, truly, a screaming rehab deal.

Hopefully by "under contact" you mean approved by the lender. Because a contract with the seller on a short sale means absolutely nothing. I've been there. Its a necessary step for the seller to accept your offer, but it truly means absolutely nothing.

As a rental this is a crummy one. Assuming you have a 30 year note, here's my analysis. That rate seems very low for a 30 year NOO loan, though. If its really a 15 year note, this deal is slightly cash flow negative.

Purchase price:$90,000

Rehab cost:$30,000

Rent:$950

Exp, vacancy, capital %:50%

Loan rate:3.00%

Loan term:30

Down payment %:20.00%

Down payment:$18,000

Loan amount:$72,000

P&I payment:$303.55

Expenses, vacancy, capital:$475

Net Operating Income:$475

monthly cash flow:$171.45

annual cash flow:$2,057.34

total investment:$48,000

Cash on cash return:4.29%

Cap Rate6.33%

You may do better than this if you self manage, avoiding the cost of a PM. But that isn't going to scale up to having enough rentals to have $30K a month in income.

See this reply in the discussion

46 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    13y

    Its easy. Rentals are a cash on cash return business. Making 10% cash on cash return is doing pretty good. $30K a month is $360K a year. With a 10% return you simply need to invest $3.6 million to generate your goal.

    So perhaps your real question is how can you earn $3.6 million in the next five years. $50K in true profit off a fix and flip would be very good, though it depends on the price range. $50K profit from a million dollar house isn't nearly as impressive as $50K off a $200K house. That's probably before taxes, too. $3.6 million over give years means about $700K per year and that puts you into a high tax bracket. I'm guessing you'd need something like $1.25 million pre tax. So that's 25 of those flips per year.

    Of course as you start with the rentals they will throw off profit of their own, which you can reinvest.

    Be sure you read about and understand the 50% rule. Millions of dollars invested in rentals means a LOT of units. With 75% LTV loans you will have a total of $14 million in property. That's probably something like 200 +/- units. That means you WILL have all the true management costs. Evictions will be routine business for you. As in you will probably have several in progress at all times. A unit completely trashed by an upset tenant will be routine, too. You'll be buying 10 roofs every year, or the multi-family equivalent. Overly optimistic cash flow assumptions, like "cash flow = rent - PITI" simply will not work. You're into "large numbers", so those averages, like the 50% rule will be what you see, if you do a good job. That rule says 50% of gross schedule rents go to capital, expenses and vacancy. From the remaining 50% you have to cover your debt service (P&I payments on your loans). What's left is your cash flow. That's the number that goes into that 10% cash on cash return.

  • Specialist · Rockland, MA · Member since 2010 · 7k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    13y

    @Jessica Soares

    In apartments we speak of $100 a month per unit cashflow. Therefore 300 units will put you there. If you were only getting 50% of the cashflow you would need 600 units.

    You can hit 300 units in your first, second or third deal. A buddy of mine has a very strong team he hit 1,000 units in the last 6 months.

    Locate Private Money sources to use to fund deals.

    Good luck developing your plan.

    Paul

  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y
    I like it when people admit to the actual number they want/need to live off of. So thanks for the honesty. My annual combined net deal profit goal for the last few years is less than yours but not by much. And I'm pretty sure I couldn't get there with rentals. I only landlord when I have to. It's just not my skill set, and outside of my tolerance range. But rentals are more passive than what I do and the benefit longer term is way better.

    When you say $30K/mo profit, do you mean cash flow? Or actual business net income? It's a big number for passive or semi-passive income. Putting aside all the challenges of the learning curve with rentals and starting with minimal cash (relatively speaking), there's the volume challenge. Even people with cash are having a hard time buying properties with a good return in any kind of volume in many areas.

    Looking forward to what other here have to say.
  • Specialist · Westlake Village, CA · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 781 votes
    13y

    First of all that is a terrific goal. Just the fact the you have written it down sets you on the road to realizing your goal.

    I would adjust the goal & have it broken down in small chunks, how much extra cash flow can you create in the next 30, 60, & 90 days. That way you can see progress. Even if it's $20 a month extra to begin with. Start the incremental game early.

    Also, financial calculator is a helpful tool for planning & asking important questions such as:

    a) What rate of return can I reliably achieve today, in order to reach $30,000/month?

    b) If I can get 10% annualized, given my current net worth what amount of capital will I need to generate $30,000/month, what about if I can get 12%, 15%, 20%?

    c) What education and skills do I need to move me from a 10% yr investor to a 15%, 20%, 25%, infinity%?

    d) What gross income to I have to generate to net $30,000 profit /month

    Also, try to own some recurring revenue as soon as possible. Maybe have a rule for every 5 properties I flip I keep one.

    Why limit yourself to solo rental income only? I would add a few more ways to create recurring revenue streams. They are all real estate related. You will be surprised how you will find more opportunities you never considered before.

    a) Partnerships or JV with others who have capital & no time or expertise.

    b) Note income (not just buying notes)

    c) Management income

    Congratulations on your journey, it promises to be very exciting.

  • Apopka, FL · Member since 2012 · 207 posts · 120 votes
    13y

    One other thought:

    Don't underestimate the difficulty of making money at flipping houses. Contrary to what you see on TV it's a very hard, relatively low profit business that is fraught with risk. Not saying that you can't do well at it, but it doesn't happen automatically.

    I've bought 2 places in the last 3 years that were flips gone bad. One was an investor that paid too much and set out to do lots of renovations. He ended up in bankruptcy and I bought the townhouse from the bank. Another flip was from an investor that did a good job of fixing up the place, but ended up with too much money in it. When I bought it from him it had been on the market for 13 months. He ended up losing about $30k and about 2 years on the flip gone bad.

    But flipping is a good place to start. The economics of flipping houses forces you to be very careful and to be a fast learner. Otherwise bad things happen to your pile of cash.

  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    Also, try to own some recurring revenue as soon as possible. Maybe have a rule for every 5 properties I flip I keep one.

    Why limit yourself to solo rental income only? I would add a few more ways to create recurring revenue streams. They are all real estate related. You will be surprised how you will find more opportunities you never considered before.


    I wish I had seen the importance of this earlier. I dislike landlording so much and overlooked that I could create cash flow other ways. I now have a couple of notes from selling and carrying the paper. I have great payors and getting those checks in the mail is something I should have put into action long ago. Must have more! Setting the goal of making sure every 5th deal (or whatever) is a cash flow deal is a great idea.

  • Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    My husband and I are buy and hold landlords; I'd be interested in selling and carrying paper to add to our income stream. Kristine, would you mind if I emailed you?

  • Rental Property Investor · Commerce Township, MI · Member since 2012 · 99 posts · 21 votes
    13y

    I have a plan to create 10k per month in cash flow from real estate. My goal is to invest 1 million in cash to achieve this goal. I am about half way there currently. I have been buying & holding. Plus hold notes on a few others. It has been going well. I am in Detroits western suburbs.

  • Investor · Sammamish, WA · Member since 2013 · 106 posts · 20 votes
    13y
    Thanks for initiating this topic, the plans outlined are helpful. I have a similar goal. Diversifying within real estate is a great suggestion. Thanks Inder
  • Huntsville, AL · Member since 2013 · 66 posts · 11 votes
    13y

    @Jessica Soares

    Hi! I'm new here too, but I figure I need to start jumping into more of these conversations so I can learn a few more things.

    How are you financing these flip deals right now? If you're not already doing so, have you considered HML or keeping current mortgages in place so that you can put most of your capital towards the repairs? It just seems like if you're set on flipping and need to make the money stretch, more creative financing is the way to do it.

  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Aly L:
    My husband and I are buy and hold landlords; I'd be interested in selling and carrying paper to add to our income stream. Kristine, would you mind if I emailed you?

    @Aly W. You can email me directly, my email is in my signature.

    I should say that the paper I'm carrying is for investor buyers only. Before the Safe Act I had plans of eventually selling to retail to owner occupant buyers by offering seller financing. After the Safe Act and the CA version went into law, I just couldn't get good enough, experienced enough answers about whether or not I could offer selling financing without being a licensed mortgage originator. Lending to borrowers for a business purpose is exempt. So I'm limited there, but my interest rates have been 8% with great payors, so I'm happy.

    Notes are great.

  • Real Estate Investor · Hartford, CT · Member since 2011 · 222 posts · 17 votes
    13y

    @Jessica Soares - work hard. its is MORE than achievable, and is BEING done. I'm sure there are investors here on BP that touches that amount easily on a monthly basis.

    @Paul Timmins - Your absolutely correct!! ;)

    TEAM, TEAM, TEAM. Build a strong team, and surround yourself with individuals that are doing it. Keep up the great work!

  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    A successful man is the one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is the one who finds such man.

    Find a spouse who makes $30k/month, and it doesn't even take 5 years to achieve that goal. Problem solved. :)

  • Real Estate Investor · Hartford, CT · Member since 2011 · 222 posts · 17 votes
    13y

    @Account Closed - Nice one! ;)

  • Scotch Plains, NJ · Member since 2013 · 12 posts · 2 votes
    13y

    Wow – thank you everyone for the great advice!

    @Jon Holdman – thank you for the analytics – you obviously know what you are talking about. The flip I have in the works is a $50k profit on a $90k house. It’s a short sale, and the profit is a conservative estimate. If I can’t flip it, I can hold it and make a profit on the rent of about $800 a month.

    @Paul Timmins – I see that you are the MFD guy – I'll be following your posts! I have family in the MFD business and I mention rental income b/c that's what I know. When you say Private Money sources what do you mean? HMLs, seller financing? I'm finding that difficult to get (and intimidating) as a beginner with no prior track record. I was thinking of forming an LLC with family members in the business as members for credibility - they would be the money members and my husband and I the operating members. I think this may be a viable option for someone starting out who is seeking to create credibility and leverage their resources. Any thoughts?

    @K. Marie Poe – by $30k a month I meant net income which I know is aggressive but why not go big on goals ;) I see that you are a master when it comes to notes investing – how did you get started? It seems like you need a lot of cash to get into the notes game (at least from what I’ve found in my area on auction.com ;) I’ve done some research in that space and it looks like that is a more advance investment technique that perhaps isn’t best suited for beginners. Any thoughts? I would love to learn from you!

    @Ellis San Jose – thank you for the encouragement! I will need to dive deep on your questions and come up with a financial strategy – not just an in the clouds goal. Agree that I need recurring revenue ASAP. What do you think about the strategy to use flips to build cash reserves and then tackle the recurring revenue options with those reserves? Do you think it makes sense to pull equity out of the houses I own to keep investing (my concern is that this will cause issues with traditional lenders down the line)? I mention rental income because that’s what I’m most familiar with and honestly, I feel that some of the other options you mention are more advanced strategies and less conducive to beginners (and somewhat intimidating). Do you agree? What do you mean by note income but not just buying notes? I would love to learn from you and will be following your posts – you have a BP cyber stalker on your hands ;)

    @Thomas Blaine – awesome, congrats on your success!

    @Adam Johns – the first flip I am now doing is being financed through savings and some of what's in a 401k account. I'm a bit intimidated by HML – the interest rates they ask would eat at my profit. Do you use them successfully? What do you meant to keep current mortgages in place? Are you referring to taking a second note or doing a wraparound? The house currently being flipped is a short sale, so I don't think that would work.

    @Geoffrey Murphy – thanks!

    @Minh L. – not sure I follow your post. Hope you are not suggesting that I should just find myself a rich husband and not follow my REI goals. I’m not sure the successful female investors on this forum would be too thrilled with that perspective. For the record I am married and my husband and I are doing this as a team.
  • Specialist · Rockland, MA · Member since 2010 · 7k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    13y

    @Jessica Soares

    Private Money sources people with money that want a better return. Money could come from their retirement plan.

    Hard Money Lender is a person that has collected private money to lend they add interest and points to collect their fee.

    Consult with your real estate CPA or attorney to figure out the best entity. Your local REIA will be a source for referrals.

    At a recent REIA meeting I saw a company, Aurelian present that sets up a business line of credit. They give those with good credit 50-150K for each person in the entity.

    Good luck

    Paul

  • Scotch Plains, NJ · Member since 2013 · 12 posts · 2 votes
    13y

    @Paul Timmins thanks! We're attending a few meetings of local REI clubs this month. Complete newbie here, albeit an energetic one :)

  • Huntsville, AL · Member since 2013 · 66 posts · 11 votes
    13y

    @Jessica Soares

    No, I have not used HML, but I'm sure you can find a few people on this forum that have used them successfully. There is also at least one podcast dealing with the subject. I agree that it seems intimidating, but I think if I had a good deal with more than one exit strategy I'd give it a shot.

    As far as keeping current financing in place, the specifics would have to be worked out with the owner, but some may be willing to take a small amount of cash upfront in exchange for you getting payments current (if behind) and paying off the balance when you sell the property.

    This can also be intimidating because of DOS clauses, but I've seen quite a few people say that they do these deals frequently without having the loans called.

    I'm not an expert on any of this, just some things I know a little about that sound like they might work for your situation. As always, do some reading and consult with experts. Learning new ways to do business is one of the things that interests/excites me most about REI.

  • Scotch Plains, NJ · Member since 2013 · 12 posts · 2 votes
    13y

    Sorry for lumping you all in here but I couldn't get the @mentions to work before. See comments above.
    @Jon Holdman

    @Jon Holdman

    @Account Closed

    @Geoffrey Murphy

    @Thomas Blaine

    @Adam Johns

    @Ellis San Jose

    @Paul Timmins

    @Account Closed


    @Ellis San Jose


    @Geoffrey Murphy

  • Scotch Plains, NJ · Member since 2013 · 12 posts · 2 votes
    13y

    @Adam Johns - Thank you!! Where there's a will, there's a way right?

  • Investor · Union, NJ · Member since 2011 · 838 posts · 295 votes
    13y

    Welcome Jessica,

    OR should I Say neighbor!! I am a stones throw from you. I live in Watchung!! And invest in Union. I am a multi family buy and hold investor. and also work full time.

    I love your agressive goals you have set for yourself!! I often pondering going full time into Real Estate but make pretty good money and benefits at my day job.

    I would love to get into flipping and or hard money lending possibily.

    Where is your rehab located?

    Anyway, best of luck and look forward to hearing about your progress!!

    best regards,
    Chris

  • Fourplex Investor · Gainesville, FL · Member since 2012 · 47 posts · 9 votes
    13y

    Knowing and being ready to jump on an investment property w/sufficient cash on hand for an all cash purchase and renovation is also key. Because of personal issues I didn't jump on a $47K 4plex here locally that went the 1st day available at homepath to investors. All major HVAC intact [although unaware if serviceable] and the property had strong potential w/lots of cosmetic issues, but I hesitated due to personal issues. Have one 4plex here locally I fully renovated myself in 5 months, rented and hold, but I saw a $50K resale flip profit potential within 3 to 6 months on that $47K 4plex I let slip out of my grasp due to personal issues. Next time ;-]

  • Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2012 · 431 posts · 106 votes
    13y

    I'm actually working towards the exact number that you're aiming for. My timelines are for 10 years vs 5 and it's really not that difficult of a plan if you reinvest all cash flow until you hit the goal. Biggest challenges are finding deal that throw off enough of a cash on cash return and financing.

    I'm self funding everything but the much quicker road is going to be by raising capital to get bigger quickly.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    13y

    @Jessica Soares

    That's a truly outstanding deal. I assume the $90K is retail. So, you'll have about $8000 in closing costs leaving you $82K net from the sale. Subtract your $50K profit and you're at $32K. To get from that sort of purchase price, even on a short to $90K from an appraiser for a retail sale means you must be doing significant work. Paint and carpet won't justify that sort of price change. So, I'm guessing $15K. You'll have some purchase closing costs. So I think you must be paying about $15K for this property. Otherwise I don't see how your numbers work or how you actually get a retail buyer approved for the loan.

    Those sort of deals are very rare. Unlikely you'll be able to find two of those a month. If you truly can, I'd build a business around that, put systems in place, hire employees and just crank them out.

    I'm guessing you're paying (purchase plus rehab) something closer to $40K for this property and doing "Flip This House" math to get to the $50K profit. Sorry, I may be very presumptive in that statement. Putting $40K cash into a property as a $900 rental is quite a good rental, though. $900 in rent, less 50% for capital, vacancy and expenses leaves $450 a month, $5400 a year. That's a 13.5% pre-tax cash on cash return. If you could acquire a huge pile of those (67, to be specific) you would need about $2.67 million to hit your goal.

    I'll pile on about note investments. If I really had $3 million-ish I'd seriously put a bunch of it into notes. I don't have three million, but I do have more cash invested in notes than rentals. Notes, specifically loans to rehabbers, aren't 100% trouble free. Less so now that the money is in a pool and the broker and his company deal with more of the day to day issues (which does reduce the return.) But returns are north of 10% with none of the hassles of rentals.

    In reality I am much more diversified in my investments. I do have a significant percentage in notes, some in rentals, some in some other (not so good) RE investments. But some in stocks, some in fixed income, and quite a bit in cash.

    @Jessica Soares

  • Scotch Plains, NJ · Member since 2013 · 12 posts · 2 votes
    13y

    @Jon Holdman the flip deal I have under contract is a short sale, 4 bedroom, 2 bath home with a purchase price of $90k, needs about $30k worth of work and has a conservative after rehab sales price of $200k. I'm putting 20% down and mortgaging the rest at 3%. Taxes are less than $7k. It's my first deal but I think it's a solid one to start out. It is also in a strong rental market close to NYC trains, so I can always rent it and pocket some cash if I can't find a buyer.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.