Newbie looking for some guidance

Newbie looking for some guidance

St. Louis, MO · Member since 2013 · 1 post · 0 votes

Hello everyone,

I've been surfing these forums for the past week or so, and have found this site to be invaluable information wise. I've read some of the beginner guides and blogs, financial summary run-downs, and just forum posts in general that have helped out a great deal. I'm just starting out in REI, and wanted to get some focused advice.

A little about me: I'm 24, married, and feel fairly stable financially. My wife and I primarily live on my income, though she has a business that generates a little bit each year. I have stocks, and a traditional 401k, but the returns just don't seem very attractive compared to REI. I've found the prospect of REI to be very enjoyable -- it's been a blast so far to research and I find myself thinking about it a lot these days, though by the title of this post, I've not yet started. Along the way, positive cash flow is the short-term / continual goal, of course, but I'm realistic and wouldn't look to live off any of the money the investments earn. It would basically go straight back into investing.

So, specifically, to speak about my finances, I've still got a mortgage on our residence. As it stands, if I aggressively pay it off, I'm looking at another 3 - 4 years with it. I feel as though I could handle another mortgage to get started, but that's where I'm seeking advice. I have some money set aside that's enough for a 20% down-payment on a house around the $100k mark, plus a little extra for any minor repairs, closing costs, etc. Do most investors start by getting their own mortgages paid off, or is that not even a factor?

I suppose the bottom line is what you can simply afford month to month, and so with that in mind, I could make it month to month with a $550'ish per month mortgage, in addition to my own, though that would be a bit tight. I'm only really worried about the big ticket items that come up, that I may not be prepared for. For instance, if a roof needs to be repaired, new HVAC system needs to be installed, emergencies, etc.

Is it best to have a certain amount stashed away that can cover that? What is a good ballpark figure for that amount?

Beyond the finances, I'm looking at a two family home to start. I figure it's easier to rent and less risk to cash flow if there's only one vacancy. The area I'm looking at starting out is in St. Louis, near a lot of colleges and in an active / on-the-rise neighborhood. Is it best to find a place with renters already there, or does that not matter? Are there any guides that explain what to look for, what questions you can ask, etc, with these types of properties in mind? I don't want to ask a question of the seller that I'm not supposed to (though I don't know that there are any questions off-limits either, apart from those that would be discriminatory to tenants).

Lastly, can anyone share more information about 'Umbrella Policies' as opposed to putting investment property in an LLC? I've read it's the same, liability wise, which is attractive as opposed to starting another business entity, but I wanted to get more input on that.

If anyone has any final thoughts / advice that I didn't specifically ask for, I'd love to hear it! Thanks so much for any help, and I look forward to contributing as I grow in knowledge and experience.

Regards,

Ken

0Reply
24 views

Most Popular Reply

Dawn AnastasiPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
13y

Here are some tips:

1. Create a bank account used solely for real estate. Don't co-mingle your own personal funds with your real estate funds.

2. Does your community offer any free landlord training classes or landlord groups you can attend? Ditto on the REIA meetings. Learn from others local to you.

3. Definitely stash away money for repairs. Put the mortgage, taxes, insurance, vacancy, repairs, and property management into your budget BEFORE cash flow.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Rockland, MA · Member since 2010 · 7k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    13y

    @Ken S.

    Welcome.

    Check out the free Bigger Pockets Real Estate Guide http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing

    Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info.

    Student housing is an excellent way to get 2-4 times more rent. Remember you don't have to own it to control it.

    Good Luck

    Paul

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    Here are some tips:

    1. Create a bank account used solely for real estate. Don't co-mingle your own personal funds with your real estate funds.

    2. Does your community offer any free landlord training classes or landlord groups you can attend? Ditto on the REIA meetings. Learn from others local to you.

    3. Definitely stash away money for repairs. Put the mortgage, taxes, insurance, vacancy, repairs, and property management into your budget BEFORE cash flow.

  • Banker · New York City, NY · Member since 2013 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    13y

    Dawn. I found your post extremely helpful thank you. Having a separate bank account is a great idea especially when it comes down to tracking taxes/ if there are partners involved.

  • Real Estate Investor · Englewood, CO · Member since 2013 · 988 posts · 258 votes
    13y

    @Ken S.,

    I have not read the many books and articles that many members of this blog embrace. My knowledge is primarily based upon classroom hours, law and tax seminars, mentors, and almost 50 years of personal experience.

    My first suggestion is to focus on education. Have a broad knowledge and understanding of the many segments of the real estate profession.

    Secondly, what is omitted many times in many investment considerations and business plans are the many what ifs. So many things can go wrong, including delays and a flood.

    • What if there are children in your future? The family needs will change your willingness and ability to spend money.

    One mentor once suggested that I only invest half of my on-hand cash and available credit limit. His reason was because the costs will always be much more than planned. It is much better, especially for your family, if you maintain a large emergency fund.

    Third, I would highly recommend now is the very best time to do some financial planning with a professional planner you hire. The tax and financial planner will review your present status, strategy, and future plans - including building an estate. It is one thing to make money; it is a completely different strategy to building wealth, a financially solid estate, and protecting your family and investments with the proper insurance or reserved funds.

    May your future be full of great success.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.