First Timer: My Goals + Buy two $100K homes, or one $200K home?

First Timer: My Goals + Buy two $100K homes, or one $200K home?

Member since 2022 · 1 post · 0 votes

Hey what's up community!

New to this real estate investing world. Starting to learn things, listen, read, calculate, etc.

I wanted to just sanity check some logic with someone who can help me understand a bit - if you're willing! :) 

(Part 1) My goal and my plan to operate towards it  (work in progress) 

My goal is to invest in an income property within my budget (ideally <$70K all-in), with a home that appreciates in value at an average rate (~2%), with positive cash flow (>$0, ideally >$100), and ideally with an opportunity to refinance after some time (1 year? 2? 5? not sure) and make more use of my money.

I was thinking a single family home, but open minded to a duplex or maybe 3 or 4 doors. It's my first purchase and I'd rather start a bit smaller and simpler to get my feet wet and try it out. But I also need to learn a bit more about the "side effects" of doing a larger door count.

Thinking North Carolina (outskirts of Raleigh area), or maybe Tampa FL. I live in NYC for the next 12 months.

So my plan is: Get to know those markets so I have some understanding of what's up. I built my own calculator (checked against the one here on BP) so I understand all the math and can play around in the spreadsheet and tweak quickly. Learning a bit about mortgage rates and lending, and have been talking to some various people in my network about different facets (... it costs $6300 for gutter system replacement... check the city zoning website to see if there are restrictions... don't make it too complex of a decision just find a home that has a good lifestyle... etc).

Next step is to...

  • - "analyze" (plug in the numbers to see what home price, rent income, and a few other numbers will make for a positive cash flow and acceptable cash/cash ROI - or Cap Rate or NOI) ←- spelling this out specifically to create transparency into my understanding of this.
  • - ...a "bunch" ( 20 to 100 )
  • - of "deals" (homes listed for sale already)

... so I can get a better feel for the different factors and how they interplay. 

Wasn't planning on getting into the BRRRR game - specifically not wanting to buy something that needs considerable up front cash to fix up, thus killing the "rehab". But I'm keen to refinance and repeat!

The ask: If you’re amenable, would you sanity check my thought process here? Anything to call out or address that’s flawed or could be improved? Is my goal-defining missing something? (Honest feedback welcome, nothing is sacred, just trying to learn!!)

(Part 2) Two versus one property

Given my goals above (excluding the "simplicity" note), does it make sense to get two properties or one? Assuming I do one deal and then some months later find and execute on the 2nd. And assuming the two properties are approximately equal in market value to the one larger one. And same market.

Two properties

PROS

  • - Two streams of income
  • - More experience
  • - Higher overall cash flow? (“depends” - but I’d guess higher on average – example: One 3bed/3bath home for $2K/mo - versus a 2/2 and a 2/1 may have 1400 and 1100 respectively = $2500/mo total)

NEUTRAL

  • - Appreciation is probably about equal (I think)
  • - Percentage based costs are probably about equal, or relatively not making a meaningful difference.

CONS

  • - More "friction" costs (closing, cash for updated appliances/paint/prep)
  • - Two sets of tenants that could cause problems
  • - One house means only one opportunity to screw something up and lose money

The ask: Given the above goals, what do you suggest? Also, is there flawed logic or missing pieces in my Pro/Neutral/Con breakdown? (Probably is…)

Thanks a million!!

All good things,

Nick Budincich

0Reply
15 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk · Member since 2021 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Nicholas Budincich:

    Hey what's up community!

    New to this real estate investing world. Starting to learn things, listen, read, calculate, etc.

    I wanted to just sanity check some logic with someone who can help me understand a bit - if you're willing! :) 

    (Part 1) My goal and my plan to operate towards it  (work in progress) 

    My goal is to invest in an income property within my budget (ideally <$70K all-in), with a home that appreciates in value at an average rate (~2%), with positive cash flow (>$0, ideally >$100), and ideally with an opportunity to refinance after some time (1 year? 2? 5? not sure) and make more use of my money.

    I was thinking a single family home, but open minded to a duplex or maybe 3 or 4 doors. It's my first purchase and I'd rather start a bit smaller and simpler to get my feet wet and try it out. But I also need to learn a bit more about the "side effects" of doing a larger door count.

    Thinking North Carolina (outskirts of Raleigh area), or maybe Tampa FL. I live in NYC for the next 12 months.

    So my plan is: Get to know those markets so I have some understanding of what's up. I built my own calculator (checked against the one here on BP) so I understand all the math and can play around in the spreadsheet and tweak quickly. Learning a bit about mortgage rates and lending, and have been talking to some various people in my network about different facets (... it costs $6300 for gutter system replacement... check the city zoning website to see if there are restrictions... don't make it too complex of a decision just find a home that has a good lifestyle... etc).

    Next step is to...

    • - "analyze" (plug in the numbers to see what home price, rent income, and a few other numbers will make for a positive cash flow and acceptable cash/cash ROI - or Cap Rate or NOI) ←- spelling this out specifically to create transparency into my understanding of this.
    • - ...a "bunch" ( 20 to 100 )
    • - of "deals" (homes listed for sale already)

    ... so I can get a better feel for the different factors and how they interplay. 

    Wasn't planning on getting into the BRRRR game - specifically not wanting to buy something that needs considerable up front cash to fix up, thus killing the "rehab". But I'm keen to refinance and repeat!

    The ask: If you’re amenable, would you sanity check my thought process here? Anything to call out or address that’s flawed or could be improved? Is my goal-defining missing something? (Honest feedback welcome, nothing is sacred, just trying to learn!!)

    (Part 2) Two versus one property

    Given my goals above (excluding the "simplicity" note), does it make sense to get two properties or one? Assuming I do one deal and then some months later find and execute on the 2nd. And assuming the two properties are approximately equal in market value to the one larger one. And same market.

    Two properties

    PROS

    • - Two streams of income
    • - More experience
    • - Higher overall cash flow? (“depends” - but I’d guess higher on average – example: One 3bed/3bath home for $2K/mo - versus a 2/2 and a 2/1 may have 1400 and 1100 respectively = $2500/mo total)

    NEUTRAL

    • - Appreciation is probably about equal (I think)
    • - Percentage based costs are probably about equal, or relatively not making a meaningful difference.

    CONS

    • - More "friction" costs (closing, cash for updated appliances/paint/prep)
    • - Two sets of tenants that could cause problems
    • - One house means only one opportunity to screw something up and lose money

    The ask: Given the above goals, what do you suggest? Also, is there flawed logic or missing pieces in my Pro/Neutral/Con breakdown? (Probably is…)

    Thanks a million!!

    All good things,

    Nick Budincich

    Personally I'd go with two properties. That gives you the flexibility to sell one for a better deal as it comes along. It's also not putting all your eggs in one basket.

  • Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 23 votes
    4y

    I'm sure I will be one of the least experienced here to comment--but are you set on LTR instead of STR? We went with STR + self managing bc my wife didn't mind the day to day work (OK, once in a while she does) and the potential for CoC returns seemed so much higher. If we had done LTR in our area (Asheville) I am not sure that we would have seen positive cash flow. We went "big" (for us) because managing 2 properties seemed much more desirable than managing 4 or 5. I'm s/w familiar with the Triangle area having lived in Durham. Can you even get a small house in the outskirts of Raleigh for 100K?

  • Contractor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2020 · 37 posts · 14 votes
    4y

    @Nicholas Budincich Welcome to BP!  If you're limited to a $70k budget, that won't go very far in the Raleigh market. Your best bang for your buck seems to be house-hacking, so that you can get a loan at 5% down vs. 20% for a standard investment property.  Ideally you'd find a duplex, live in one side and rent the other. Unfortunately duplex inventory is extremely low in Raleigh. In addition, Raleigh is an appreciation market and finding cash flow is tough, 1% rule non-existent unless it's an off market deal. If you venture outside of Raleigh an hour or so, you can find properties within your budget that will cash flow. Your second question about 2 vs 1; my opinion is that diversity is generally better.  However if you find a stellar deal that costs $200k you go for it.  Good luck! 

  • Raleigh, NC · Member since 2019 · 17 posts · 6 votes
    4y

    @Nicholas Budincich do you mean 70k as downpayment to the house?

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    4y

    It really depends on your goals and the type of rental you want.  I'd go for quality over quantity.  That doesn't mean buying the most expensive home, but buying a home in a good area.  The price for that really depends on your market.  I invest in two very different areas. One has seen massive appreciation and the other has relatively stable prices.  When I bought some of the properties (~7 years ago), $250K in the one market got you a very basic starter home. Starting small is a good idea as is buying a duplex or a house with a legal suite.

    I don't know the market you are looking at, but find out what $100K gets you and if that is a super cheap home for the area (not a starter home in a good area, but a place that needs a bit of work in a rough area), read some of the posts on here about cheap homes-they cost you a lot more than you think with tenant turn over.

    Buy something that you'd want to live in. Not for the style or finishes per se, but an area you'd be comfortable living in.  the type of home you buy determines the type of tenant you attract.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.