How do you deal with "burn out"?

How do you deal with "burn out"?

Seth WilliamsPro Member
Specialist · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2012 · 582 posts · 353 votes

Have you ever struggled with feeling "burnt out" on real estate investing?

I've definitely had periods in my career when I just got tired of it. The novelty wore off and I was tempted to throw in the towel and walk away from it altogether (this usually happened when I went for an extended period of time with no deals, no excitement and no personal development).

I'm sure I'm not alone on this... so I'd be curious to hear - what goes through your mind when you're feeling burnt out on your particular niche of real estate? How do you stay motivated, get back on the horse and keep charging forward?

...and this may be taboo, but does there ever come a time when perhaps you SHOULD walk away from it and try something new? Is there a way to tell if/when you're working towards the wrong goals, or the task at hand just doesn't suit you?

0Reply
23 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Long Beach, CA · Member since 2013 · 496 posts · 296 votes
13y

Get a job in a cubicle and live the slow death that most must endure. That would get rid of any burn out you may have for investing and you will be thanking the heavens above for the life you have!

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2010 · 283 posts · 81 votes
    13y

    I have felt that at times. Then I come to BP and read the stories of other people making money and growing their companies. Sometimes you just need a break. I also like to try something new. So if I have been doing flips for a while, I might start looking at buy and holds or commerical properties.

  • Investor · Cypress, TX · Member since 2013 · 403 posts · 59 votes
    13y

    Keep at it man. It's been 5 months for me. You just got to keep digging in.

  • Investor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2013 · 187 posts · 23 votes
    13y

    What goes through my mind is a view of a turquoise ocean, white sand, red sunset and the flavor of rum punch...I sit and ponder what it is that allows me to enjoy such an experience...

  • Seth WilliamsPro Member
    OP
    Specialist · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2012 · 582 posts · 353 votes
    13y

    I think for most beginners, it is hugely important to experience that first, initial success - and they need to get there relatively soon. A person's first success story proves that what they're chasing after isn't an illusion, it legitimizes the whole thing. Until a person can experience that first hand, I can see how it would be difficult to persistently pour one's life and energy into a venture that doesn't appear to be going anywhere.

    I think that 90% of beginners give up before they hit their first success, which is a shame. For a lot of people, that first successful deal (and how long it takes to get there) can make or break someone's career.

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    13y

    I never get tired of commercial real estate because I love what I do for my clients as well as looking at opportunities for myself.

    Having said that I do take vacations with the family and do fun things for myself. There are other facets of my life that I enjoy and need to be balanced.

    We went to Myrtle Beach, SC a few weeks ago. The weather was perfect the 4 days we were there. We were lucky because now they are having tornado warnings there.

    It was great we had an ocean view from the hotel on the 10th floor so it looked like our room was on the beach. First night we were there was a super moon where the moon looks bigger and really close to the Earth. The moon lit up the ocean at night and was breathtaking and the hotel next to us shot off big fireworks on the beach. The Hampton Inn we stayed at had 8 pools. 2 reg pools on the outside with 2 lazy rivers on each side and then 2 more pools with 2 whirpools on each side.

    The only thing I didn't like was the hot breakfast the day we left could have been much better.

    We went on the Sky Wheel at the beach that is enclosed like the rotating wheel in England. Lights up with a bunch of LED's and patterns with the music. Could see the strip, the ocean while on it at the beach.

    If people are only doing real estate for the money then you are in it for the wrong reasons. You have to also get satisfaction and enjoyment out of it. I am 38 years old now but it seems time is moving faster and faster. Money is great but the people, relationships, and the memories of living a great life are what I cherish and hold onto. The money is just a means to an end. I know people that have lot's of money and are miserable and were disappointed when they learned that money didn't give them the whole fulfillment they were looking for in life. Money is just the vehicle to get you to where you are living the life you dream about which means many different things to various people.

    Anytime people are getting burnt out they are either in the wrong profession, need a vacation, or do not have the correct balance in their lives and need to reassess how they go about things. I owned other businesses before when I was in my 20's and worked myself to death. One part of my life the business was great but everything else was out of wack. True success to me is a balanced approach where everything is working together on a positive path.

  • Sheboygan, WI · Member since 2013 · 107 posts · 18 votes
    13y

    Joel Owens Very well said. Thats EXACTLY why I am trying to get started! Own my own business and when things are going well on that front, I am generally working way too much and the family and living aspects suffer greatly.

  • Civil Engineer · Orange County, CA · Member since 2012 · 189 posts · 45 votes
    13y

    For me I get burnt out when I focus too much on one aspect of my life. If all I did was real estate day and night and ignored family, exercise, social aspects of life, etc. I would probably have a breakdown. As hard as I try though the BP forums suck me in.

  • Real Estate Investor · Lansdowne, PA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 656 votes
    13y

    You have to take a step or few back re-evaluate your plan and how its being worked from all angles. Perhaps you need to make a few adjustments. You gotta dig deep and stay with it. If you love this business it'll come natural for you. Failure is not an option...

    Kudos,
    Mary

  • Real Estate Agent · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    The best advice that helped me was when you get frustrated or tired of dealing with the problems associated with a path you've chosen, just remember that everyone has problems in life, in business, in relationships, etc., but if you can live most of your life choosing your own problems, you'll be much happier for it. Of course, human beings have problems they cannot choose like illness or accidents, but actively choosing the life you want to lead, knowing you are taking on the problems that come with that life choice, can make it much easier to bear the problems that arise like, for me, tenant issues or a delay in closing or down time when you have to save for a down payment on your next rental and it's taking longer than you want.

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    I start feeling burnt out when I pile TOO MUCH on my plate at once.

  • FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 357 votes
    13y

    Joel Owens,
    When you get back to Myrtle Beach, SC., if you want an excellent Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner, I would recommend that you go to this restaurant:

    http://seacaptains.com/

    I do NOT work for, or receive any compensation, for recommending this restaurant.

    Raymond

  • Lender · Long Beach, CA · Member since 2013 · 496 posts · 296 votes
    13y

    Get a job in a cubicle and live the slow death that most must endure. That would get rid of any burn out you may have for investing and you will be thanking the heavens above for the life you have!

  • Real Estate Investor · chicago, IL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 231 votes
    13y

    alcohol....lots of alcohol.

  • Seth WilliamsPro Member
    OP
    Specialist · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2012 · 582 posts · 353 votes
    13y

    This one struck a chord with me today:

    "Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all." – Dale Carnegie

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.