Asset Protection, Financial and Tax Guidance

Asset Protection, Financial and Tax Guidance

Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 0 votes

Hello,

I own 2 rental properties in Northern Virginia. Our house hold income is above 295K. I would like to get guidance to protect these assets and future rental properties (buy and hold) as well as get a break from tax.


Would it make sense the follow the below strategy for asset protection and tax benefits? I maybe using wrong terms, please excuse.

Full Disclaimer, I have been watching too many youtube videos and biggerpocket podcasts to come up with the below plan.


1. Create a Wyoming scorp under my name

2. Deed the properties to land trust (one each). Each Land Trust to be unique name not tied to our personal details or address.

3. Create one Virginia LLC per property and assign as the trustee for the respective Land Trusts. Each LLC is owned by Wyoming scorp

4. Create another Virginia LLC for property management owned by Wyoming scorp.

5. Execute lease agreement between property management LLC and virginia LLCs

6. Execute rental agreement between property management LLC and tenants

7. Start paying mortgage from Wyoming scorp derived from the rent.

8. Purchase umbrella policy under Wyoming scorp to cover both properties

9. The residue at the end of the year gets passed to Wyoming scorp which reflects as K1 in my W2.

The below are the current challenges that I am trying to achieve by the above steps:

1. Asset protection (naturally)

2. As of now, the entire rental income is reflecting in my W2. In practice, I am sending all the rental income to mortgage and other expenses. End of the year, I may end up getting 2K total from both properties. This is putting me in the highest tax bracket possible. By using property management LLC for maintenance and using scorp to pay mortgage, I may get just 2K additional income from these properties. This saves me lots of tax by lowering my tax bracket

3. In the future, as I buy additional rental properties (buy and hold), I will have to follow steps 2,3,5,6 & 7.

Question:

1. Can someone (everyone) glance at the above strategy and find any glaring mistakes?

2. Can you recommend any reputable asset protection and taxation services partner?

I am hoping to get this done before the end of the year so I start next year as clean slate.

Thank you reading the long post and appreciate all your input.

0Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 971 votes
6y

@Ram Peruml Here is some unqualified advice - talk with a specialist like @Scott Smith for professional legal advice.

1. It might not be a wise idea to own real estate in a S-corp or C-corp (https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2016/02/25/owning-rentals-s-corporation/) and I'm not sure how putting the S-corp at the top is going to affect the ownership of the LLC and further of the properties. You can make for sure the shell entity (the one not owning any assets) an S-corp.

2. If you plan on using a quit-claim deed for the transfer, double check on the transfer of title insurance (you might lose it). Use a warranty deed is better. Whether title insurance terminates by transferring real property depends on the type of policy, and how “insured” is defined in the policy. You take a risk which could result in cancellation of your title insurance and complete loss of your real property without compensation in the event that a title issue regarding your real property arises. Contact your title insurance company to determine coverage and if your policy does cover transfers , and when or how.

3. See if a Series-LLC is an option for you. Might work better than having to create and maintain an LLC per property. Talk with @Scott Smith.

4. Sounds good.

5. Sounds good.

6. Sounds good.

7. See #1. Mortgage could be paid from the management company or asset holding entity.

8. I think insurance needs to have owner (the asset holding entity) and trust (as additional insured), not the top holder. Speak with @Jason Bott for expert advice on insurance.

9. If you pass your income through the Wyoming S-corp, it might be considered active income and you’ll have to pay self-employment taxes on that income, losing the whole idea of rentals generating passive income. Check with @Nicholas Aiola on tax considerations.

10. You can have the Property Management Shell LLC charge property management fees and establish Solo 401K plans based on that generated income. You will have to pay self-employment tax on that income though. But it would also allow you to rollover other IRA funds and invest them in other RE or lending.

11. I don’t see how any of these legal structures will allow you to save from taxes or lower your tax bracket. You might be able to get the 20% business deduction from your rental income if you log and document properly 250 hours of activity in your rentals. If you have losses (and you might lower your rental income using depreciation, and/or accelerating that depreciation by doing cost segregation study on your properties), you might be able to use them to deduct up to 25K from your active side if your AGI is under 100K, prorated to 150K. Since it’s above that, you might be able to deduct it if you (or your wife) qualify as a real estate professional (log and document properly 750 hours of activity in your RE/rental business and this is your primary source of income).

Here are some diagrams to help you on your quest:

Asset-protection-onion-diagram-v2

Asset-protection-decision-diagram

Asset-protection-structures

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Smyrna, GA · Member since 2018 · 974 posts · 645 votes
    6y

    Check out www.corporatedirect.com - Garrett Sutton has great services there. 

  • Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Joseph Firmin:

    Check out www.corporatedirect.com - Garrett Sutton has great services there. 

     Thank you Joseph. I will reach out to Garrett to understand more about their services.

    Meanwhile, do you see any open gaps in the above approach?

  • Rental Property Investor · Smyrna, GA · Member since 2018 · 974 posts · 645 votes
    6y

    I'm sorry @Ram Peruml, I'm not qualified to give you a solid opinion on that. You've done a good bit of analysis on this, so talk to a CPA and an attorney that specializes in this area (like Garrett) and you should be fine. I'd hate to steer you the wrong way!

  • Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Joseph Firmin:

    I'm sorry @Ram Peruml, I'm not qualified to give you a solid opinion on that. You've done a good bit of analysis on this, so talk to a CPA and an attorney that specializes in this area (like Garrett) and you should be fine. I'd hate to steer you the wrong way!

     Understood. Thank you for honest response.

  • Rental Property Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 971 votes
    6y

    @Ram Peruml Here is some unqualified advice - talk with a specialist like @Scott Smith for professional legal advice.

    1. It might not be a wise idea to own real estate in a S-corp or C-corp (https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2016/02/25/owning-rentals-s-corporation/) and I'm not sure how putting the S-corp at the top is going to affect the ownership of the LLC and further of the properties. You can make for sure the shell entity (the one not owning any assets) an S-corp.

    2. If you plan on using a quit-claim deed for the transfer, double check on the transfer of title insurance (you might lose it). Use a warranty deed is better. Whether title insurance terminates by transferring real property depends on the type of policy, and how “insured” is defined in the policy. You take a risk which could result in cancellation of your title insurance and complete loss of your real property without compensation in the event that a title issue regarding your real property arises. Contact your title insurance company to determine coverage and if your policy does cover transfers , and when or how.

    3. See if a Series-LLC is an option for you. Might work better than having to create and maintain an LLC per property. Talk with @Scott Smith.

    4. Sounds good.

    5. Sounds good.

    6. Sounds good.

    7. See #1. Mortgage could be paid from the management company or asset holding entity.

    8. I think insurance needs to have owner (the asset holding entity) and trust (as additional insured), not the top holder. Speak with @Jason Bott for expert advice on insurance.

    9. If you pass your income through the Wyoming S-corp, it might be considered active income and you’ll have to pay self-employment taxes on that income, losing the whole idea of rentals generating passive income. Check with @Nicholas Aiola on tax considerations.

    10. You can have the Property Management Shell LLC charge property management fees and establish Solo 401K plans based on that generated income. You will have to pay self-employment tax on that income though. But it would also allow you to rollover other IRA funds and invest them in other RE or lending.

    11. I don’t see how any of these legal structures will allow you to save from taxes or lower your tax bracket. You might be able to get the 20% business deduction from your rental income if you log and document properly 250 hours of activity in your rentals. If you have losses (and you might lower your rental income using depreciation, and/or accelerating that depreciation by doing cost segregation study on your properties), you might be able to use them to deduct up to 25K from your active side if your AGI is under 100K, prorated to 150K. Since it’s above that, you might be able to deduct it if you (or your wife) qualify as a real estate professional (log and document properly 750 hours of activity in your RE/rental business and this is your primary source of income).

    Here are some diagrams to help you on your quest:

    Asset-protection-onion-diagram-v2

    Asset-protection-decision-diagram

    Asset-protection-structures

  • Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    @Ram Peruml

    Look up http://www.nchinc.com/

    Contact Don Meritsky

    18005081872 ext 3189

    Listen to what he or his colleagues have to say then decide what's best for you and your family. He's in finance but can direct you to who to talk to. That's what he did for me.

    I just started with that company but I chose Nevada because of their corporate veil protection law and they seem to have all I need and not have to go here and there looking for stuff. They can also direct you to where to go to do what. It doesn't hurt to listen either way. I hope that helps. God' speed!

  • Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Costin I. @Daily Olson

    Thank you very much for the valid input and contact details.. I will reach out to them as well.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.