Transfer from personal name to LLC then sell via owner financing

Transfer from personal name to LLC then sell via owner financing

Avondale, AZ · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 1 vote

I was wondering if this was a viable strategy to generate consistent income and quickly add income history to a newly formed LLC in order to qualify for line of credit (or getting approved for a conventional mortgage): Transferring a property (owned free and clear [no mortgage]) from my own personal name to a newly-formed LLC (via a land trust? what are some of your suggestions), and then selling the property via owner-financing (which in this case, the owner/seller being the newly-formed LLC).

Is this a viable way to show lenders that the LLC is generating income, and therefore make the LLC more qualified for various financing opportunities (despite it being pretty much completely new)?

This is, of course, assuming an LLC can even owner-finance a sale of one of its properties. And if so, during the seller-financing contract write-up (and eventual loan servicing agreement), all the difference would be that instead of using my own name in the paperwork, it would be under my LLC's name, correct? (Sorry if my grammar seems to be a bit off in this last paragraph lol)

Thanks! I'm barely getting into REI, and was wondering if even forming an LLC immediately at the get-go is the right way to go if I'm planning on owning several rental homes in the future (and just fyi... basically my potential first investment move will be the seller-financed sale of a property that I own free-and-clear- hence this discussion post).

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer my questions~

0Reply
73 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    9y

    You can transfer a free and clear property to a new LLC, this is a contribution of capital and an asset of the LLC. Yes, you could seller finance the property, the LLC is the lender, however laws kick in like Dodd-Frank selling to the public, you could sell to investors/operators much easier.

    Income from a note is better than not having income (LOL) but as to credit, that won't be much help with other lenders. 

    Do some reading of recent posts about LLCs, starting off they aren't really necessary, when you own 4 or 5 properties you might consider an LLC for business purposes first. I've said many times, you take on more personal liability driving your car than owning a single family residence.

    Frankly, there are better ways to leverage the property you own than selling it, lease it and borrow or pledge an interest in other deals. Good luck :) 

  • Avondale, AZ · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 1 vote
    9y
    Originally posted by @Bill Gulley:

    Frankly, there are better ways to leverage the property you own than selling it, lease it and borrow or pledge an interest in other deals. Good luck :) 

     Thanks for the response Bill.

    The reason I want to sell it is because the neighborhood is really not a great neighborhood (it's basically in the 'hood'). It was recently robbed too (probably because people in the surrounding area knew it has been vacant for a while). The house needs some rehab done ( just to make it more presentable. Nothing too much) but I don't have funds to make it look nicer. So I feel keeping it I feel would just be a liability. So I thought it would be best to take advantage of the benefits that owner financing can give.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.