Starting out as a foreign investor via an LLC + partnership

Starting out as a foreign investor via an LLC + partnership

Jerusalem, Israel · Member since 2015 · 144 posts · 14 votes

Hi,

I am looking to soon invest in the U.S. with my partner. We already run a company in our country and would use profits from this entity to invest in Buy and Hold RE. This would most likely happen by partnering with a local, seasoned investor in the states.

How should we structure this? Open a joint LLC with the new partner? Open an LLC for ourselves and JV with the two entities? What other precautions or known 'pitfalls' should we be aware of?

For obvious reasons I will get professional advice from local tax specialists and my CPA, but it would be nice to hear from people who might done this already or know the how-to.

Thanks for any input!

1Reply
11 views

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Princeton, TX · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    How much are you planning on investing?  Are you looking to do a few bigger deals or more smaller deals?  Also are you planning for applying for an E2 Visa?

  • Investor · Princeton, TX · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Before people respond saying a person cannot get a E2 Visa using a buy and hold business plan, lets see if he is even interested in the visa.

  • Investor · Chorley, Lancashire · Member since 2013 · 82 posts · 22 votes
    11y

    I think the US market is a great place to invest. I think you need to consult a specialist in the area you intend to invest in.

    I wouldn't get put off with the LLC issue. Pick an area to invest in first, then worry about the details

  • Jerusalem, Israel · Member since 2015 · 144 posts · 14 votes
    11y

    @Account Closed, we are looking to start with 50-100k investment, depending on the available deals and partnership. From there moving forward to bigger deals is the way wede want to go, but again, it's all about the deals available.

    Obviously, we intended on doing everything legally. We are figuring out this part of things from our end of things, we are already involved in the U.S market in our current business.

    Most likely me and my business partner would need to get the e2 visa.

  • Jerusalem, Israel · Member since 2015 · 144 posts · 14 votes
    11y

    Hey @Nick Lee, I agree with you to some point.However, I do 'worry' about the business structure part as we are investing through an Israeli LTD, we can't just go do deals on our own name, which a lot of people do.

    I am trying to decide on the best areas for Buy&Hold to focus on, then could approach tax and law professionals, partners and so on. Have any suggestions on areas?

  • Realtor · Minoa, NY · Member since 2015 · 125 posts · 56 votes
    11y

    I'm interested in this from the other end of the relationship. I have a friend who would like to immigrate in a few years and he is thinking that getting a few buy and hold properties will be part of his income stream once he does. If I want to invest with him before he comes over, should we form a new LLC together or should I find a way to absorb him as a part of the LLC I currently have (either as hard money or shares distribution?)

  • Investor · Princeton, TX · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    If your goal is to get an E2 Visa then you should contact a lawyer who specializes in setting up the deals that qualify for them.

    If you are asking about geographic areas to invest in, many areas in Texas are appreciating but still affordable enough for someone to invest at the $50,000 to $100,000 level.

  • Specialist · Kiryat Motzkin, Israel · Member since 2014 · 266 posts · 159 votes
    11y

    @Account Closed

    As far as I know Israeli citizens are not eligible for an E2 visa. Only E1.

  • Jerusalem, Israel · Member since 2015 · 144 posts · 14 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Saul L.:

    @Account Closed

    As far as I know Israeli citizens are not eligible for an E2 visa. Only E1.

    Hey Saul, I have a British citizenship as well. After reading more into it, it seems that both having or not having the visa has pro's and con's. I'm researching and would love more input from people who formed partnership via company investments.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.