Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Goals, Business Plans & Entities
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Cabrera
Votes |
NAICS Code for Real Estate Investing & Best Practices

Matthew Cabrera
Posted

Hello! 

I am a real estate agent new to real estate investing and need some advice -  

1. Which NAICS code should I use for my activities?

- Residential purchases, remodel/repairs, and re-sale (flips). I'll typically contract work out, unless it's something I can handle myself 

- Residential purchases to turn into rentals (12 months or longer)

I read a few posts and did some research, but I want to be sure I am selecting the right NAICS code. It appears both activities listed fall under different NAICS codes. Also, since I am an agent, not sure if I should select the one used for office of agents. I would hate for this to be an issue.

2. Regarding how to structure my business - 

I do not have an LLC setup as an agent and just plan on purchasing properties under my investments LLC, then getting paid as myself for my commissions. However, it is likely that I will want to use my commissions to fund repairs, use as a down payment, or even cover expenses on these investment properties. I still plan on helping buyers and sellers purchase as well. What would be the best way to do this for tax purposes, liability, and breaks? I don't want to do anything wrong where I will get penalized later down the line.

Thank you all!