Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
1031 Exchanges
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Kay March
  • Gainesville, FL
Votes |
Can TICs avoid probate, like DSTs?

Kay March
  • Gainesville, FL
Posted

One advantage to DSTs is that they don't go through probate when the owner dies. The trustee distributes the owner's interest according to the owner's instructions, as I understand it. The owners of TICs receive deeds, though, and I'm wondering whether those can be "lady bird" deeds with a beneficiary, which would also eliminate probate.

User Stats

Votes
Jason Taken
Lender
  • Lender
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Chicago, IL
Replied
Quote from @Kay March:

One advantage to DSTs is that they don't go through probate when the owner dies. The trustee distributes the owner's interest according to the owner's instructions, as I understand it. The owners of TICs receive deeds, though, and I'm wondering whether those can be "lady bird" deeds with a beneficiary, which would also eliminate probate.

Do you mean Tenants in Common when you say TIC? If so, no, they do not avoid probate.

User Stats

Votes
Jon Taylor
  • Pasadena, CA
Votes |
  • Pasadena, CA
Replied
Quote from @Jason Taken:
Quote from @Kay March:

Do you mean Tenants in Common when you say TIC? If so, no, they do not avoid probate.

Neither the DST, nor the TIC inherently avoid probate. Both structures are treated as investment real estate and subject to the same issues as a sole ownership rental property.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes