Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
1031 Exchanges
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
John Haelig
Votes |
Cashing Out in NJ - Sell, Hold or DST?

John Haelig
Posted Apr 11 2024, 06:11

I am a 64-year-old landlord with 2 condos adjacent to a medical school in suburban New Jersey. For 30 years it’s been a never-ending supply of tenants who are almost never home and always pay on time.

Why would I want to get out? Well - sale prices are through the roof right now. These are wood frame Hovnanian units built in 1986 that are holding up well, but windows are starting to fog, HVAC units are coming due for a second time and the kitchens are beginning to show their age. Their sky-high value will begin to decline at some point.

End of year I am grossing $25k each unit, and netting $11k on the paid off unit after taxes, insurance, HOA fees and modest repairs. The mortgaged unit gets the full $25k and is 2 years from paid off. It will then net about the same $11k. Our living expense needs are pretty well handled by Social Security and pensions, so there is no crisis at hand.

First unit is a $410k listing with no mortgage. Purchase was $134k and it has fully depreciated after 27.5 years.

Second unit is a $350k listing with a $45k mortgage remaining. Purchase was $188k and has been depreciated for 12 years to date.

The online Capital Gains calculators show an outright sale losing over 30% to capital gains, depreciation recapture and the 3.8% Medicare tax (an extra stick in the eye). Then New Jersey comes knocking. I lost my lunch when the net take-away number appeared.

It looks to me like a 1031 exchange into a DST is the way to go. I did a 1031 for my 88-year-old father and turned some farmland into 3 other condos by the med school. The math showed that was the right choice to get the step-up in basis within the foreseeable future. However – it would be nice to get out of the property manager business – without giving up a gigantic portion of the proceeds.

We are very fortunate to be in a position to ask these questions, but we absolutely need to process a lot of information before committing to any sales.

What do you think – Take immediate advantage of huge sale prices, then get into a DST (or several)?

Keep the units until we die?  Perhaps hire a property manager to handle the phone calls and factor in the (depreciable) window, kitchen, HVAC costs?

Eat the sickening cap gains taxes and enjoy what’s left?

Many thanks -

John

Loading replies...