Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Out of State Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Heidi Saelee
Votes |
Unresponsive Property Management Company

Heidi Saelee
Posted Jun 14 2024, 12:55

Hi everyone,

I have been with this management company since I first obtained the duplex. They were great at first with onboarding, communication, payments. Over the last year and half they been sporadic with answering emails/calls and not on time with their scheduled owner payments and not getting monthly statements that show funds collected/expenses paid. I have not been paid in a month and a half now and have not seen a statement since February. I have not received an email response in 4-5 weeks. Every time I call the office, I get "we are working on it" or "you should get the funds by tomorrow" but 3 weeks later still nothing. The person who is supposed to be in charge of our specific unit does not answer texts, and when I call it goes straight to voicemail. I finally got in touch with the owner of the company and he says that we can expect the payments at the next scheduled disbursement date which is 2 weeks from now. When I ask to have it immediately since it is already 3 weeks late, he responds with how he can't do that because it will "severely affect his accounting." Has anyone dealt this is? I am wondering what kind of legal action I can take? 

Thanks in advance.

*Note, I called the board of licensing and will be filing a complaint but this does not assure I will get funds owed.

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
Replied Jun 14 2024, 13:14

I'd leave a message and tell them since they have not responded to your multiple inquiries and you have not received the rent they collected in a timely manner, that you will be contacting your lawyer as well as the licensing board to file a complaint. When are you normally paid (ie I get paid 2-3 weeks after rent is due from my PM)?  the lack of a statement in over 3 months and not being paid rent for 6 weeks makes me thing that there are troubles (either personnel or financial) with the PM.  His accounting is already messed up because he hasn't paid you the rent he collected.

I'd also call around and interview other PM and ask if they take over from existing PM.  You have bills to pay and if they promise you your money by a certain time each month, then you should be getting it.

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit
Property Manager
Agent
#1 Out of State Investing Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Property Manager
Agent
#1 Out of State Investing Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Jun 15 2024, 07:34

@Heidi Saelee there's no logical reason for you not to get your monthly statements timely.

Whether those statements show you're owed money or not is a separate issue.

So, unfortunately, it's probably time to find another PMC.

Be careful about WHEN you report your current PMC to their RE Board, state AG, etc., as they may not cooperate with the transfer of your property to the new PMC:(

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Adam Bartomeo
Property Manager
Pro Member
#4 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cape Coral, FL
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
#4 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cape Coral, FL
Replied Jun 15 2024, 12:19

It all sounds very strange and fishy... The lack of communication from poor agents or PM's is nothing new in this industry. The lack of payment can be due to the tenant not paying or paying late.

Legally, I don't see that you have any evidence of anything but lack of communication (from what you posted) and/or a late payment by a few weeks. I doubt that you are going to get anywhere with any of the boards after you are paid. I would recommend that you try and get out of your agreement and find another PMC ONLY AFTER you get paid.

User Stats

Votes
Heidi Saelee
Votes |
Replied Jun 15 2024, 14:19

Thanks for the replies everyone. I  really appreciate it.

-I have an online portal that is updated most of the time showing rents paid so the tenants are not the issues.

-I did tell them that we expect payments by next week or we will be filing a complaint. I am supposed to receive funds on the 24th of each month as stated in the contract but that has not been the case at all.

-I have been in contact with a new PMC already thankfully and will be switching over as soon as I get paid. I will probably transfer first before reporting to avoid issues with transferring.