Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Insurance
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
John Boudreau
Votes |
Umbrella and General Liability Insurance

John Boudreau
Posted

I am new to bigger pockets but have been investing in single family and small multi family for the past 15 years and have grown to approximately 40 doors in Nebraska, Iowa and Missouri. The more I am reading and listening, the more concerned I get about liability protections. Currently, all of our properties are owned in an LLC but I am concerned that the legal protections of the LLC are not as solid as they once were. I also have general liability insurance, a personal umbrella (which I don't think will cover me as I may need a commercial umbrella). How have others structured their insurance and property ownership to maximize liability protection. I'd be interested in talking to any insurance professionals with thoughts. Thanks in advance.

User Stats

Votes
Ty Coutts
Lender
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
Replied

Welcome to BiggerPockets! It sounds like you've built an impressive portfolio over the past 15 years. Your concerns about liability protection are valid, especially as your portfolio grows and the legal landscape evolves. While owning properties in an LLC is a solid foundation for liability protection, it's wise to continually reassess and enhance your strategy. Many seasoned investors bolster their liability protection by using a layered approach. First, ensuring that each property or group of properties is held in a separate LLC can limit exposure, confining potential liability to the specific entity involved. Additionally, augmenting your general liability insurance with a commercial umbrella policy can offer a higher level of protection, potentially covering gaps that a personal umbrella policy might not. Consulting with a knowledgeable insurance professional can help tailor a policy that addresses your specific needs and risks. Furthermore, maintaining rigorous property management practices, keeping thorough records, and implementing robust tenant screening procedures can also mitigate risks. Networking with other experienced investors and legal professionals within the BiggerPockets community can provide further insights and strategies to safeguard your investments.

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit
Property Manager
Agent
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Property Manager
Agent
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied

Speak with a commercial insurance professional that works with real estate investors.

They'll know more than anyone here!

Or you could search for "insurance" experts here on BP and contact them.

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Replied

Your LLC's GL policy is the first line of defense, the LLC's Umbrella is the second, the LLC is the third. As Ty said above holding each property in its own LLC limits liability significantly, however it can be difficult to manage and maintain the corporate vail by keeping each LLC's finances separate.

User Stats

Votes
Louis A.
  • Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Replied
Quote from @Stetson Oates:

Your LLC's GL policy is the first line of defense, the LLC's Umbrella is the second, the LLC is the third. As Ty said above holding each property in its own LLC limits liability significantly, however it can be difficult to manage and maintain the corporate vail by keeping each LLC's finances separate.

+1 Exactly. People smarter and more sophisticated than me in business law have advised that there are 1000 ways to pierce the shield of an LLC. For this reason I do not own any property in an LLC/Corp. I utilize my General Liability and have a separate commercial umbrella to manage the risk exposure. At the end of the day, everyone's circumstance is unique so it is best to speak with a professional.

User Stats

Votes
Henry Clark
Pro Member
#1 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Developer
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Developer
Replied

Contact Jack Struyk in Omaha.  He is the best Commercial insurance broker I have ever dealt with.  Been many years, tell him Henry Clark from Miindustry days in Lincoln says hello.  We do Self Storage and use Self Storage specific Insurance and thus have not used him.

Order of protection:

1. LLC; more importantly your LLC operating agreement. Do you have a note, you can discontinue distributions as an example?

2.  Insurance

3.  Rental Contract

4.  Operating procedures- if not documented and performed, none of the above matter.  If documented and performed they will prevent or mitigate your exposure.