Insurance coverage on Annual Leases renewing to month-to-month

Insurance coverage on Annual Leases renewing to month-to-month

Fernandina Beach, FL · Member since 2014 · 46 posts · 8 votes

I recently had a conversation with my Insurance provider (AMICA) for the past 4 years on my umbrella policy.  As we chatted she asked me questions about my existing portfolio f 5 rental properties.  She asked if they are under an annual lease.  I said all were under one year leases in the beginning but some have since been renewed as month-to-month.  She said that AMICA does not insure for any leases for less than a year and that my coverage would be canceled when they come up for renewal next Spring.   I was surprised to hear this since I have owned multiple properties for over 15 years and this was the first time I heard this.  Also, I would suspect that most landlords would be in a similar situation.  I checked my policies and could not find any language within them relating to lease terms.  So now I am wondering did i speak with an uninformed agent or is this common practice in the industry?   Is this likely just specific AMICA policies or do most of the insurance companies require an annual lease ALL THE TIME.  It seems odd that an insurance company would cancel coverage when annual leases renew to month-to-month.  I would greatly appreciate any feedback from the BP community on this.  Regards. Dave

1Reply
26 views

Most Popular Reply

Cory J ThorntonBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2021 · 240 posts · 281 votes
3y

@David V. - This is the first time I have heard about this requirement as well. I would ask the agent to send the supporting documentation. At the end of the day, I always try to find professionals who are real estate investors or specialize in working with RE investors, then let them advice me as an attorney/insurance provider/CPA... who also invests in RE. 

If there is a loophole to deny a claim, insurance companies will leverage that loophole. I would be sure to close the loop hole with 12 month leases or shift to a carrier that doesn't mind month to month. 

Also, I noted that your profile has you in VA and you are posting in the Raleigh forum. Rents in Raleigh have gone up significantly in the last few years. If you have properties on month to month leases, then you have have an opportunity to renew on a 12 month and get a market adjustment rent increase.

Best of luck on your learning/investing journey. 

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Cory J ThorntonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2021 · 240 posts · 281 votes
    3y

    @David V. - This is the first time I have heard about this requirement as well. I would ask the agent to send the supporting documentation. At the end of the day, I always try to find professionals who are real estate investors or specialize in working with RE investors, then let them advice me as an attorney/insurance provider/CPA... who also invests in RE. 

    If there is a loophole to deny a claim, insurance companies will leverage that loophole. I would be sure to close the loop hole with 12 month leases or shift to a carrier that doesn't mind month to month. 

    Also, I noted that your profile has you in VA and you are posting in the Raleigh forum. Rents in Raleigh have gone up significantly in the last few years. If you have properties on month to month leases, then you have have an opportunity to renew on a 12 month and get a market adjustment rent increase.

    Best of luck on your learning/investing journey. 

  • Jason BottPro Member
    Insurance Agent · Nationwide · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    @David V.  @Cory J Thornton This is a common underwriting requirement. From a risk profile, tenants on an annual lease will file fewer liability claims than tenants on a MTM lease.  

    Underwriting criteria will not be found in the policy.  Additionally, once the policy is in force, the carrier can not deny a claim due to the term of the lease.

    This is more a cause of the insurance Property market tightening up.  3-4 years ago, the same underwriters didn't ask about the lease terms.

    Time to go out and shop for a new program:)

  • Insurance Agent · Norwalk, CT · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Dave,

    This sounds like an Underwriting guideline.  Insurance companies have to file their Underwriting Guidelines (what is eligible and what is ineligible based on claims history, size of building, construction, etc.).  It is possible that AMICA's guidelines state that they require annual leases.  If they do Non-Renew your policies they need to put on the form, the reason why.  It will probably state, no longer eligible due to ....   Luckily you have a lot of time to shop for other coverage.  I would see what your current agent can do for the rentals and also shop all the coverage with a couple of larger Independent Agents (they represent multiple carriers).  

    If you do move the Rental policies to another company but leave the umbrella with AMICA be sure that the Umbrella with cover over the new policies.  

  • Fernandina Beach, FL · Member since 2014 · 46 posts · 8 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Cory J Thornton:

    @David V. - This is the first time I have heard about this requirement as well. I would ask the agent to send the supporting documentation. At the end of the day, I always try to find professionals who are real estate investors or specialize in working with RE investors, then let them advice me as an attorney/insurance provider/CPA... who also invests in RE. 

    If there is a loophole to deny a claim, insurance companies will leverage that loophole. I would be sure to close the loop hole with 12 month leases or shift to a carrier that doesn't mind month to month. 

    Also, I noted that your profile has you in VA and you are posting in the Raleigh forum. Rents in Raleigh have gone up significantly in the last few years. If you have properties on month to month leases, then you have have an opportunity to renew on a 12 month and get a market adjustment rent increase.

    Best of luck on your learning/investing journey. 


    Hi Cory,  Thanks for your comments.  Good point on the supporting documentation.  And good point on renewing the rents to a 12 month lease.  This was one say that I planned on solving this issue as my tenants could use a rent increase.  Also, do you know of any local real estate investor advisors that work in the Raleigh, NC area?  I only own five rentals and have been doing my own taxes for years but occassionaly questions come up where its good to have an advisor.  Best Regards

  • Fernandina Beach, FL · Member since 2014 · 46 posts · 8 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jason Bott:

    @David V.  @Cory J Thornton This is a common underwriting requirement. From a risk profile, tenants on an annual lease will file fewer liability claims than tenants on a MTM lease.  

    Underwriting criteria will not be found in the policy.  Additionally, once the policy is in force, the carrier can not deny a claim due to the term of the lease.

    This is more a cause of the insurance Property market tightening up.  3-4 years ago, the same underwriters didn't ask about the lease terms.

    Time to go out and shop for a new program:)


     Hi Jason, thanks for your comments.  Yes - I agree - nothing is mentioned in the policy.  Luckily I have plenty of time to make any changes in insurance providers or renewing tenants on an annual basis.

  • Fernandina Beach, FL · Member since 2014 · 46 posts · 8 votes
    3y
    Quote from @John Mocker:

    Dave,

    This sounds like an Underwriting guideline.  Insurance companies have to file their Underwriting Guidelines (what is eligible and what is ineligible based on claims history, size of building, construction, etc.).  It is possible that AMICA's guidelines state that they require annual leases.  If they do Non-Renew your policies they need to put on the form, the reason why.  It will probably state, no longer eligible due to ....   Luckily you have a lot of time to shop for other coverage.  I would see what your current agent can do for the rentals and also shop all the coverage with a couple of larger Independent Agents (they represent multiple carriers).  

    If you do move the Rental policies to another company but leave the umbrella with AMICA be sure that the Umbrella with cover over the new policies.  


     Hi John, All good points.  Especially about looking for a larger independent insurance provider and teh umbrella coverage.  Thanks so much for your comments.  Much appreciated.

  • Cory J ThorntonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2021 · 240 posts · 281 votes
    3y
    Quote from @David V.:
    Quote from @Cory J Thornton:

    @David V. - This is the first time I have heard about this requirement as well. I would ask the agent to send the supporting documentation. At the end of the day, I always try to find professionals who are real estate investors or specialize in working with RE investors, then let them advice me as an attorney/insurance provider/CPA... who also invests in RE. 

    If there is a loophole to deny a claim, insurance companies will leverage that loophole. I would be sure to close the loop hole with 12 month leases or shift to a carrier that doesn't mind month to month. 

    Also, I noted that your profile has you in VA and you are posting in the Raleigh forum. Rents in Raleigh have gone up significantly in the last few years. If you have properties on month to month leases, then you have have an opportunity to renew on a 12 month and get a market adjustment rent increase.

    Best of luck on your learning/investing journey. 


    Hi Cory,  Thanks for your comments.  Good point on the supporting documentation.  And good point on renewing the rents to a 12 month lease.  This was one say that I planned on solving this issue as my tenants could use a rent increase.  Also, do you know of any local real estate investor advisors that work in the Raleigh, NC area?  I only own five rentals and have been doing my own taxes for years but occassionaly questions come up where its good to have an advisor.  Best Regards


     Hey David - The only company I know of that specializes in working with real estate investors is Brandon Hall CPA ... I am just starting to evaluate them for my own use so I cannot give you a personal recommendation. I only know that real estate advising is their specialty. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.