Do Wholesalers need to know/estimate repair costs?

Do Wholesalers need to know/estimate repair costs?

Real Estate Investor · Albuquerque, NM · Member since 2011 · 156 posts · 20 votes

First off, I did search forums and these are the two answers I got :

"My best advice and the safest advice for you, don't estimate rehab costs for them. There are too many factors outside of your control that contribute to rehab costs. As the wholesaler, your job is to find a great property and leave a lot of profit on the table so that you can move onto your next deal and they can rehab and retail.

Now, if you have an inspection report you want to disclose that to the buyer and let them make the decision from there. Your job as the wholesaler is to buy at the right price and sell at the right price.

"Instead of focusing on costs when speaking to the end-buyer investor, I recommend that a wholesaler talk to the things that need to be repaired/renovated and let the investor decide what the costs will be."

However, I was reading an article from an investor than he said this:

""My best advice and the safest advice for you, don't estimate rehab costs for them. There are too many factors outside of your control that contribute to rehab costs. As the wholesaler, your job is to find a great property and leave a lot of profit on the table so that you can move onto your next deal and they can rehab and retail.

Now, if you have an inspection report you want to disclose that to the buyer and let them make the decision from there. Your job as the wholesaler is to buy at the right price and sell at the right price.

"Instead of focusing on costs when speaking to the end-buyer investor, I recommend that a wholesaler talk to the things that need to be repaired/renovated and let the investor decide what the costs will be."

So which is it, do you just need to be able to list to the investor area's of the property that needs repair, OR do you need to know the ACTUAL repair cost as a wholesaler?

1Reply
58 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Riverside, CA · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
15y

Here is my wholesale formula for a deal I am selling to a retail rehabber.
(subtract number for each item as you go down)
ARV
Rehab
Acquisition fees (escrow/title)
Holding Fees (utilities, taxes, Ins, HOA)
$400 Home Warranty (total waste of $400)
Sales Costs (Commissions)
Buyer's Closing Credits (Typically $5K in CA)
Seller's Closing Costs (My Flipper)
Wholesale Fee (My paycheck)
Offer price
-----------------
The amount left is what your buyer will make as profit. If you don't know what the rehab expense will be, how do you know what to offer? How do you know if your buyer will make any money when he sells?

You won't be doing your job of passing on solid deals to your buyers and then you will be here posting about building a buyers list because you won't have any repeat business. I have less than 5 buyers on my list and they keep calling me for deals. They take me an my wife out to dinner. They buy me gift cards to expensive restaurants. It is because they make a lot of money working with me. That is what you should strive to become in your market.

Do your job right and become a great wholesaler, make a lot of money, and get the best investors in your market begging you for your deals.
Good luck!

Side note: If your buyers need hard money loans, you will need to add that to their expense of doing the deal (pts & int) and deduct for that as well. I don't sell to investors who need hard money loans. My buyers pay cash. I stopped dealing with hard money buyers. It is too difficult and sometimes they don't close.

I know what each of my buyers is looking for as far as a return on their cash invested. I calculate the ROI based on how much cash my buyer will have into the deal. I adjust my wholesale fee or acquisition price (offer amt) according to the expected ROI of the buyer I am selling to.

I hope this helps.

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Albuquerque, NM · Member since 2011 · 156 posts · 20 votes
    15y

    EDIT *** this is what I ment to but under

    " However, I was reading an article from an investor than he said this:"

    it's not letting me cut and paste go here:
    http://www.nextphasehomes.com/WholesaleNotes.pdf

    and read under "Classic Mistake, grossly underestimating repairs or not having a repair estimate"

  • Investor · Riverside, CA · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    15y

    Here is my wholesale formula for a deal I am selling to a retail rehabber.
    (subtract number for each item as you go down)
    ARV
    Rehab
    Acquisition fees (escrow/title)
    Holding Fees (utilities, taxes, Ins, HOA)
    $400 Home Warranty (total waste of $400)
    Sales Costs (Commissions)
    Buyer's Closing Credits (Typically $5K in CA)
    Seller's Closing Costs (My Flipper)
    Wholesale Fee (My paycheck)
    Offer price
    -----------------
    The amount left is what your buyer will make as profit. If you don't know what the rehab expense will be, how do you know what to offer? How do you know if your buyer will make any money when he sells?

    You won't be doing your job of passing on solid deals to your buyers and then you will be here posting about building a buyers list because you won't have any repeat business. I have less than 5 buyers on my list and they keep calling me for deals. They take me an my wife out to dinner. They buy me gift cards to expensive restaurants. It is because they make a lot of money working with me. That is what you should strive to become in your market.

    Do your job right and become a great wholesaler, make a lot of money, and get the best investors in your market begging you for your deals.
    Good luck!

    Side note: If your buyers need hard money loans, you will need to add that to their expense of doing the deal (pts & int) and deduct for that as well. I don't sell to investors who need hard money loans. My buyers pay cash. I stopped dealing with hard money buyers. It is too difficult and sometimes they don't close.

    I know what each of my buyers is looking for as far as a return on their cash invested. I calculate the ROI based on how much cash my buyer will have into the deal. I adjust my wholesale fee or acquisition price (offer amt) according to the expected ROI of the buyer I am selling to.

    I hope this helps.

  • Real Estate Investor · Albuquerque, NM · Member since 2011 · 156 posts · 20 votes
    15y

    I appreciate the response Aaron. I see what you are saying, but I have seen different answers.

    For example read this article:

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2009/11/05/wholesaling-and-repair-estimates-you-dont-need-to-be-an-expert/

    And like I said on my first original post quoting some other people they told me other. So I am unsure who to follow.

  • Investor · Riverside, CA · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    15y

    You don't need to get it down to the $100. I rehabbed houses before I started wholesaling so I have experience in this area.

    Here is a great cheat you can use. I call it the $5K increment estimate:
    Example:
    You see a crappy kitchen. Will it be $5K, $10K or $15K to tear out and replace?
    The bathroom is from the 1950s. Is that a $5K job or a $10K job?
    New roof: Tile $10K, shingle $5K.
    Int & ext paint: $5K

    The average 1,200 sq/ft, 3/2 runs from $20K-$30K to rehab. If the place needs everything you may be leaning more towards $30K+ as long as it isn't a total disaster.

    I did an entire house, 3/1, 1,000 sq/ft down to the studs on the inside, insulated the walls, new electric panel, drywall, new windows, landscape, flooring, everything new except roof and hot water heater and it was just over $50K. We had a lot of problems with permits on that job though. You can see pics on my facebook profile. Check out the Avocado Sub 2 Deal in my pictures.

    Typically, investors that burn through a few houses a month will have much lower expenses than your 1 a month or less rehabber. The rehab expense will really be determined by your rehabber, what he wants to do to the property, and his/her ability to get quality work done at a reasonable price.

    You should have a list of what needs to be done and at least a rough budget for the cost. Go hang out at Home Depot and price stuff out. Use your own house as a learning device. What will it cost you to replace your kitchen? Paint, carpet, new closet doors, interior door, ceiling fan and window for your bedroom?

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    15y

    Matt, good question, as Aaron mentioned, you don'tneed to shave the estimates down to the dollar,that's impossible as in any rehab you never know what might be found under cabinets, in the walls or behind the electrical pannel for example.

    You need to have an idea of what labor and material costs are in your area. I'm sure a decent tile guy charges more in LA, vs. my area.

    If you are not familiar with construction techniques, labor and materail costs, I suggest you get with a contractor and get estimates.

    If you end up getting a 35K property that needs 35K in rehab and has a MV of 75K, that's not a deal. Trying to flip that to a rehabber for 40K may not only mean that you will get stuck with the property but that you will lose opportunities with that rehabber. They will see you as asking way too much for properties and just ignore what you might have to offer.

    I can't imagine anyone would say you don't need to have some idea of what costs would be to make repairs to a property, simply obsurd, even owner occupied home buyers find out what repairs will likely be before making an offer!

  • Real Estate Investor · Houston/League City, TX · Member since 2011 · 63 posts · 13 votes
    15y

    As a rehab investor/flipper, I wouldn't take a wholesaler seriously if they could give me a rehab estimate on a property they were trying to wholesale. How would I know if the deal was worth looking at? I get about 5 deals a week across my desk and they all have repair estimates. I do my own due diligence, of course.

    If you don't want to or feel uncomfortable with give a number for repairs, at least come up with a list of everything that you think needs updating and repaired. This give me at least an idea of what costs I'm looking at to see if it's a deal.

  • Real Estate Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2011 · 44 posts · 12 votes
    15y

    I completely agree with the statements above. As a wholesaler I have a GC that provide me an estimate when I do the walkthrough before I make my final offer to the buyer. If I get it under contract at least I have a GC with an estimate that gives me a baseline for the repairs. With experience I might not need a GC on every property I visit but it seemed the best way to start to learn the costs and get comfortable with the repair estimates.

    Do your own estimates, compare it with the GC and then learn from your mistakes until you can do it on your own. That way you build trust with the rehabbers to which you provide the repair estimates.

    In the end it is just a guideline. Repairing the same place to just acceptable and top of the line items is going to be quite a difference. Include pictures of the areas or even a video to help your buyer.

  • Specialist · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2008 · 140 posts · 14 votes
    15y

    Like Simon says(no pun intended) to be able to give a investor/flipper a estimate on a rehab project only raises your credibility with that investor. I recently did a deal site unseen and the investor that brought me the deal gave me a estimate and because of our relationship I didn't question it. After finding a buyer for the deal, when they did there own due diligence my numbers were off tremendously! I don't believe you should quote a estimate but I do feel you should give them a close proximity of what the rehab should be. (give or take a few dollars).

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    15y

    Yes, you need to know how to estimate rehab costs, but not for the purpose of telling investors how much it will cost to renovate the house.

    Instead, you need this information so that YOU can evaluate the deal personally, so that you know if a potential wholesale is viable or not.

  • Altus, OK · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 690 votes
    15y

    Keep in mind that it's an ESTIMATE not actual cost. Also if you are going to give an estimate make sure you tell your buyer to do their own due diligence anyway. A few will already know this but there are some that do take the estimates as the gospel so tell them to check for themselves.

  • Real Estate Investor · Albuquerque, NM · Member since 2011 · 156 posts · 20 votes
    15y

    Good answers guys, I will take all of what you said into consideration. Let's say you are working with a house that isn't in bad shape at all, that just needs cosmetic work and some touch ups, I wouldnt need to get any numbers for that or just simple numbers?

    And give them an idea of what needs to be fixed. Keep in mind when wholesaling a house I dont want to be looking for a complete piece of junk either, I wanna make sure it's in decent shape, at least

    According to this lady she says that she's been fine without knowing estimates for years, and doesnt follow a formula.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-IFl1prszA&feature=related

    what do you think?

  • Real Estate Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2011 · 44 posts · 12 votes
    15y

    As Aaron pointed out you just apply the basic $5k increment. Start with basic house that needs just paint inside/outside with a few rooms carpet and assign that an estimate of $5k. Use that as a starting point and then add more as needed.

    Remember that this is a tool to help you get your values correct and offer a price that will allow you to sleep at night. If you offer to much and get stuck with a house you can't flip then it is your money and reputation on the line. Do what you feel necessary to be comfortable with the offer you made. Your risk level will not be the same as my risk level so decide for yourself what is needed to sleep soundly.

  • Real Estate Investor · Albuquerque, NM · Member since 2011 · 156 posts · 20 votes
    15y

    My other question is you don't necessarily have to wholesale distressed properties do you? I'm sure there are PLENTY of properties out there with cosmetic problems, than motivated sellers have to sell because they are in pre-forclusure. You don't necessarily need to buy a piece of junk I wouldn't think, as long as the seller is motivated to get rid of the property for whatever reason, I think the less distressed the property is the better. I don't see a point in dealing with highly distressed area's when there are tons of motivated sellers needing to just move out because they cannot afford it.

  • Real Estate Investor · Bristol, PA · Member since 2011 · 108 posts · 7 votes
    15y

    Hi there, Matt. I personally only go after properties that have cosmetic issues. I sometimes submit offers without seeing a property, yet I estimate a high end rehab/remodeling job when I'm structuring an offer. When I have an accepted offer or a counter, I then will send one of my contractors out to view and inspect the property. I hope this bit of information helps.

  • Investor · Riverside, CA · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Matt James:

    Let's say you are working with a house that isn't in bad shape at all, that just needs cosmetic work and some touch ups, I wouldnt need to get any numbers for that or just simple numbers?

    You still need to know (roughly) how much to deduct from ARV. If it is really just cosmetic, I would use about $10K on an average sized house. All the rehabs I have done in the last 2 years, with the exception of one, were on properties I am keeping as rentals. Even turning a house into rental condition typically costs me in the neighborhood of $6K~$12K. I am basically fixing, painting, and cleaning, not really replacing much except flooring and appliances.

    Originally posted by Matt James:

    I dont want to be looking for a complete piece of junk either, I wanna make sure it's in decent shape, at least

    I have made the biggest checks off the complete pieces of junk. I actually prefer those to turn key houses any day. Mold, cat urine, garbage, squatters... The more problems for the owner, the more money that is going into my bank account when escrow closes.

    Originally posted by Matt James:

    According to this lady she says that she's been fine without knowing estimates for years, and doesnt follow a formula.

    I am sure she is selling properties, but it sounds like she knows what her buyers are looking for and what they are willing to pay. My friend and fellow wholesaler has a great saying about that: "I am the shoe salesman and it is my job to know the financial feet of my buyer."

    I'd like to know the percentage of houses she gets under contract that don't close because she has no clue what she is doing?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.