Finding the Next Actionable Step

Finding the Next Actionable Step

Real Estate Investor · New Athens, IL · Member since 2015 · 29 posts · 9 votes

I've heard that Wholesaling is a good place to start because one can potentially close several deals without ever investing personal capital.  

About me: Interested in real estate for nearly a year now. I have been reading and listening to podcasts and learning from every source I can. I've been to a few different REIA's trying to find one to attend regularly.

Wholesaling came up because of someone I met on BiggerPockets.com.  We met and talked a few times.  As neither of us had money upfront to buy or flip a house, he suggested wholesaling.  I cannot get conventional loans because I'm attending college full time.  I'm not entirely sure about him, but I think it's because he's retired and doesn't have enough income.

Since then we've found a few properties while driving for dollars.  Allow me to clarify - we found a few properties that were vacant.  We've only been able to get in touch with about 10% of the owners of said properties.  We searched the tax records, but several of those are outdated.  I called one man who was extremely distraught when I said what I was calling about.  Found out that he had filed bankruptcy 2.5 years ago, yet the property still shows up in his name.  Most of the other properties were tied to an old land line that was disconnected.

Aside from that, I've gone to the County Courthouse to find recent foreclosure activity.  One person actually called me back and seems very motivated.  This seems to be my first real lead.  However, from what I gathered from the homeowner, we would need to negotiate a short sale.  From BiggerPockets, I learned that this can take 3-12 months or more.  I'm expecting a call back from him in a few days.

Looking forward, I know I can't focus totally on this one deal.  I need a stream of leads (and potential deals) coming in on a regular basis.  I've considered bandit signs, but I know they can be risky and can give real estate investors a bad reputation.  Thoughts?

Lastly, I think my next plan of action will be a send yellow letters or direct mail.  From what I understand, I would be saturating an area and basically mail to every address in that area at a discounted price through the USPS.  Does this seem like a good next step?

0Reply
15 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Central America, Panama · Member since 2010 · 423 posts · 293 votes
10y

mailing to every address in a neighborhood is not a good idea unless you know a variety of different techniques in addition to wholesaling.  What if the seller has very little equity?  A wholesale deal will not work.   What if the house is in perfect condition but the seller needs to move in 2 weeks?  There are plenty of other ways you could solve their real esate problem and make a profit too.  So you need tricks in your trick bag than just wholesale flips.

I am an out of state, actually an out of country, owner of real estate in Texas.  On averge, I get 15 yellow letters per month for each of my rental properties.  I have no interest in selling but the letters just keep coming.  

Yellow letters are overused.

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Central America, Panama · Member since 2010 · 423 posts · 293 votes
    10y

    mailing to every address in a neighborhood is not a good idea unless you know a variety of different techniques in addition to wholesaling.  What if the seller has very little equity?  A wholesale deal will not work.   What if the house is in perfect condition but the seller needs to move in 2 weeks?  There are plenty of other ways you could solve their real esate problem and make a profit too.  So you need tricks in your trick bag than just wholesale flips.

    I am an out of state, actually an out of country, owner of real estate in Texas.  On averge, I get 15 yellow letters per month for each of my rental properties.  I have no interest in selling but the letters just keep coming.  

    Yellow letters are overused.

  • Real Estate Investor · New Athens, IL · Member since 2015 · 29 posts · 9 votes
    10y

    @Jackie Lange Thank you for replying! A few follow up questions...

    How long would it take to learn some of those "tricks"?

    What are some alternatives to bringing in leads?

  • Investor · Central America, Panama · Member since 2010 · 423 posts · 293 votes
    10y

    As a real estate entrepreneur, you should never stop learning.  How fast you can learn other techniques depends on how much time you have to devote to it.  

    You should learn about Master Leasing, options, buying subject to, options, HIghest Bidder Sales, Options, buying with seller financing, and more

    the more ways you know how to solve real estate problems, the more deals you will do.

    Rarely will each deal fit neatly in to a little box - so you should never be technique driven, but creative solution driven instead.

  • Investor · Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2008 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    @Jackie Lange

    knows what she is talking about, taught by the best, Jack Miller and Peter Fortunato!

    @Account Closed

    Check out this long thread about getting a fast start doing "cash or terms" deals.

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/12/topics/180...

  • Real Estate Investor · New Athens, IL · Member since 2015 · 29 posts · 9 votes
    10y

    @Brian Gibbons

    I read through some of the thread as well as your profile, video, and reviews, etc.  Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction.

  • Investor · Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2008 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    Hi @Account Closed

    Stay the course!  You can do it!

    Get your RE license.

    Be a great Listing Agent with a name brand, do low equity deals for sellers with lease options or sub2 or wrap purchases.

    Study up on Illinois Land Trusts.

    http://www.illinois-attorney.com/practice-areas/il...

    Good luck!

  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    10y

    Hi @Account Closed

    What is your long term goal? Are you looking to build a whole sale business or do you dream of having passive income?

    Wholesaling is not for everyone. I could see many people having more success with a small rental or live in flip as their first investment strategy. Wholesaling requires tons of sales and marketing ability and cash to market if you want to keep it up.

    I am just starting out and decided to get my real estate license. It only teaches you a little bit about investing, but it just seems simpler to me than wholesaling. It also gives access to the MLS which has so much useful data.

  • Real Estate Professional · Dayton, OH · Member since 2015 · 423 posts · 187 votes
    10y

    @Account Closed

    Right now, you are wandering in the wilderness.  

    I have operated a robust wholesaling business for over 10 years.  Speaking from wholesaling experience (which the people who create the media you have read or heard rarely have much of), I can tell you wholesaling is a place to end up not to start.  Why?  What you are experiencing right now.

    The stuff you have read or heard was education not training.  If you want to succeed at wholesaling, you need training.  Anyone who is any good will expect to be compensated for it, too.

    You are a full time student.  Wholesaling in today's world is a full-time job.  If you can't afford training, and I gather you can't, consider finding the dominant wholesaler in your market and bird dogging for him or her.  He or she will know what to do with the leads you have found and pay you if they turn into something.  Essentially, you will learn and earn. 

    Right now, going on your own, the odds of you exhausting all of your leads before ever getting paid on one is like drawing in hopes of filling an inside straight.

  • Real Estate Investor · New Athens, IL · Member since 2015 · 29 posts · 9 votes
    10y

    @Account Closed

    John, my long term real estate goals are as follows:

    1) Have $100,000 liquid cash money in my bank account by May 2017

    2) Have closed 20 real estate deal, at least 2 buy and hold rentals by August 2017

    3) Own my first medium-size (24-32 unit) apartment complex by February 2018

    Do you think that obtaining a real estate license would be a better ROI than that same amount of money spent on marketing for wholesales?

  • Hermitage, TN · Member since 2015 · 38 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    @Account Closed Thanks for making this post Luke. I have had the same questions about wholesaling and some of these responses have been helpful

  • Investor · Central America, Panama · Member since 2010 · 423 posts · 293 votes
    10y

    You don't need to spend a lot of money on training and certainly not coaching.  But you do need a basic understanding of how a wholesale deals works

    start with the end in mind = build a buyers list before you evern start looking for houses

    Then develop a schedule of a certain number of hours per day or week that you will go out looking for houses.  You don't need to spend money on marketing.  Just drive for dollars looking for run down and/or vacant looking houses.

    recruit others to look for houses for you too.  You can hire people on craiglist offering to pay them $1000 or even 50% of what you make. 

    Ask everyone you run in to if they know anyone who needs to sell a house they don't want.  ( I found my first deal doing this)

    After more than 20 years of doing wholesale deals, I can tell you that it is a good way to start, and there will be wholesale opportunity all along your path to financial freedom.  But wholesaling success should not be your ultimate objective.   It is only a stepping stone to the next level, then the next, then the next. 

    CASH FLOW should be your objective.  Creating enough passive cash flow so you don't need to look for the next wholesale deal or flip  Only when you have enough cash flow coming in every month without working, will you be truely financially free.  

    You need to learn how to solve ANY real estate problem (multiple ways) if you want to be a successful real estate entrepreneur.  

    If wholesale flips is the only tool in your tool box, you will lose out on a lot of other profitable opportunity.

  • Real Estate Agent · Elmhurst, IL · Member since 2016 · 153 posts · 36 votes
    10y

    Terrific  tred  and advice.   Sounds a lot like  a seminar I went to last week  by Robert Shemin. Looking to expand  my network. 

    Where is the best place to find buyers? 

    Don Colagrossi 

  • Montréal, Québec · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Very good advice & multiple options to find homes. Thank you Jackie........

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.