• Sacramento, CA
Votes |
Squatters!!! - Sacramento, CA

Scott Scoville
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Sacramento, CA
Posted Apr 10 2024, 13:13

Just CLOSED on this 3/2 in Sacramento!!! The seller had squatters in the house, and we were able to assist them with getting them out of the property before selling this South Land Park house to an experienced house flipper.

Scoville Realty & Investments LLC Logo

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#1 Contractors Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Apr 11 2024, 07:09

Care to share how you got them out? I know in California it is becoming more and more difficult to do so.

User Stats

Votes
Scott Scoville
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied Apr 11 2024, 11:12

We typically pay $2,500. However this was a bit more, but we had a lot of meat on the bone on this deal, but needed to get them out fast. We start low and back into our number with tenants. Time and money for an eviction in CA is our last option, and not ideal. Cash for keys is just the cost of doing business in todays real estate market. We keep it professional and try not to get emotional about it.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Patricia Steiner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Hyde Park Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Hyde Park Tampa, FL
Replied Apr 11 2024, 11:47

If ever there was cause to come together and fight for better enforcement laws, the issue of squatters is it.  How the law 'protects' their 'rights' to breaking the law and stealing possession of a property is beyond me.  The thought of paying them to leave makes me ill but the $2500 spent on doing so was a cheap date considering the other options.  Crazy...

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Apr 11 2024, 11:53
Quote from @Patricia Steiner:

If ever there was cause to come together and fight for better enforcement laws, the issue of squatters is it.  How the law 'protects' their 'rights' to breaking the law and stealing possession of a property is beyond me.  The thought of paying them to leave makes me ill but the $2500 spent on doing so was a cheap date considering the other options.  Crazy...

It's insane. I saw a news story this week about squatters breaking into a home while the people were home and claiming tenant rights. The police wouldn't do anything...they refuse to look at leases or deeds.....amazing world we have. But people vote for politicians that allow this so someone must like it....?

User Stats

Votes
Maksu Ize
  • Investor
  • Vancouver
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Vancouver
Replied Apr 11 2024, 17:20

Dont pay the jobless hippies 2500$, pay a professional squatter to come in, and outsquat the hippies.

User Stats

Votes
Scott Scoville
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied Apr 12 2024, 08:01

Agree, you're starting to see legislation addressing this. I believe Florida is taking a tough stance on this. I'm not sure if California would ever do anything to address this:-(

User Stats

Votes
Christie Gahan
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Hillsboro, OR
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Hillsboro, OR
Replied Apr 13 2024, 11:25
Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

It's insane. I saw a news story this week about squatters breaking into a home while the people were home and claiming tenant rights. The police wouldn't do anything...they refuse to look at leases or deeds.....amazing world we have. But people vote for politicians that allow this so someone must like it....?

We need to figure out some strategies for this.   Maybe rental agreements need to be recorded like a deed?  Right now anybody can create a fake lease and say they live in a house.  Police deal with criminal matters not civil.  How can we make this a criminal matter?   Something we can prosecute quickly.  If this escalates, people are going to get shot and killed.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Apr 13 2024, 18:34
Quote from @Christie Gahan:

We need to figure out some strategies for this.   Maybe rental agreements need to be recorded like a deed?  Right now anybody can create a fake lease and say they live in a house.  Police deal with criminal matters not civil.  How can we make this a criminal matter?   Something we can prosecute quickly.  If this escalates, people are going to get shot and killed.

We can fix this easily - this did not used to be an issue. It is now because of L*****L politicians and the people that vote for them. Our society is broken top to bottom, pick any topic.....

We just need a reset, like when you do a 'restore' on your computer.

User Stats

Votes
Scott Scoville
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied Apr 15 2024, 08:55

Yes, legislation is the key. We're starting to see this happen:-)

User Stats

Votes
Scott Scoville
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied Apr 15 2024, 08:56

We can fix this easily - this did not used to be an issue. It is now because of L*****L politicians and the people that vote for them. Our society is broken top to bottom, pick any topic.....

Yeah, agree. It had to get really bad before it gets better. Hopefully our politicians are going to wake up and start addressing these issues.

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Apr 15 2024, 09:19
Quote from @Scott Scoville:

Agree, you're starting to see legislation addressing this. I believe Florida is taking a tough stance on this. I'm not sure if California would ever do anything to address this:-(

is this just a hold over tenant that stopped paying or was it someone who broke in and actually squatted makes a big difference.

User Stats

Votes
Scott Scoville
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied Apr 15 2024, 09:24

Interesting situation. Unlicensed contractor agreed to do work, then moved his family in and never did the agreed upon work. Squatted in the property for months and refused to leave. 

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Apr 15 2024, 09:29

Interesting situation. Unlicensed contractor agreed to do work, then moved his family in and never did the agreed upon work. Squatted in the property for months and refused to leave. 

AH  hybrid not exactly a tenant but not a squatter in the sense they they broke in and claimed residency.. there is a lot of this in foreclosure stuff.. where folks in CA buy at court house and the home has squatters in it.. they know going in its going to cost them some money to get them out.

your probably aware of the new law in FLA and I think GA.. that just was signed into law giving the cops the right to come out and arrest them on the spot if they deem they are there illegally..

User Stats

Votes
Christie Gahan
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Hillsboro, OR
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Hillsboro, OR
Replied Apr 15 2024, 09:31

Yeah, agree. It had to get really bad before it gets better. Hopefully our politicians are going to wake up and start addressing these issues.

I dealt with this in a different political era.  Please don't make this about party politics because then nothing will get done.  I would like to read more actionable items.  I know the oldies ... Dobermans in the house is a classic.  My local sherrif has a policy for vacant homes that you can register the address of a vacant home and give them permission to enter at any time with out a warrant.  I think that is great.  Maybe stock the house with homemade cookies for the officers too.  I remember stories in the 2009 era of people paying off duty law enforcement to stay in their homes and/or park the patrol vehicle in the drive way.  I don't know if it happened but it is a great story.  If I had a vacant house I would love to have a patrol vehicle parked there.  Back in the day, these criminals had to learn the tricks of the trade from other criminals.  Now social media is making it easier and some folks seem to think they are making a statement.  The only statement I think it makes is about their stupidity and lack of character.