Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Real Estate Success Stories
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Eric Girard
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Boston
Votes |
I help regular buyers build real estate portfolios

Eric Girard
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Boston
Posted

Hi guys,

I love to see all of the success stories but I have noticed I just don't have the income to keep investing past 1 property. 

Here are two real world strategies that I used with my clients:

Success story A

Step 1: Bought a condo for $175,000 in 2013 in an up and coming area that cost less per month than market rent. Lived it in then rented it out. Cash flow was around $350 per month.

Step 2: Sold the condo using a 1031 exchange to roll over the taxes.

Step 3: Bought a primary home in a LCOL city for $200,000 and rehabbed it. Now worth $350,000.

Step 4: Bought a four multifamily in a LCOL for $500,000. No rehab needed. Now worth $650,000

Step 5: Brought the four family rents up to market rate which is $5200 per month.

Time to complete: 10 years.

Cash flow went from $350 per month to $2,000 per month.

Properties are now worth around $1,000,000.

Success story B

Step 1: Bought a condo in 2014 in a HCOL city for $200,000 and rented it to a roommate (house hacking). 

Step 2: Moved out, rented the 1st condo for $1800 per month.

Step 3: Bought a new primary home in a LCOL for $175,000 which costs less per month than rent.

Step 5: Moved out of the 2nd property and rented it for $1850.

Step 6: Rented an apartment with somebody else. Saved $1,000 per month in monthly housing costs.

Step 5: Saved up the cash flow money and bonus money from their work.

Step 6: Bought another condo $250,000 in a HCOL city that cash flows with 5.5% rate and 25% down

Step 7: Raised rents on all 3 properties to market rate equal to $5,800.

Time to complete: 9 years.

Cash flow went from $300 to $1500 per month.

Properties valued at approximately $925,000.

------

Each client started with a 5% down payment, was in the early 30s, and didn't make a six figure income. No family help either. 

It's possible to build up a portfolio with time. Time is the key because over-time rents and home prices rise. 

User Stats

Votes
Rick Pozos
  • Wholesaler, Rehabber and Landlord
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • Wholesaler, Rehabber and Landlord
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied

That's great that you are helping others. You should be making commissions off of them, great.

There are only 1 or 2 things that you need to do to start investing past 1 house. Make more money or spend less.

More income: Meet more people, get more listings, hire more people for your team, work harder!!

Less expenses: Stop going out to eat so much, trade your car for a cheaper one, sell the $5000 golf clubs for $1000 ones, 1 vacation a year instead of 2 or 3 a year because "I deserve it", cut the grass yourself.

I am being a little silly, but seriously get on a budget and see what you need to do to cut expenses or where you can work a little harder. You will find that there is plenty of fat. The question is do you really want to cut the fat?? Its tough to live a little leaner if your WHY is not strong enough.

User Stats

Votes
Replied
Quote from @Eric Girard:

Hi guys,

I love to see all of the success stories but I have noticed I just don't have the income to keep investing past 1 property. 

Success story A

Step 1: Bought a condo for $175,000 in 2013 in an up and coming area that cost less per month than market rent. Lived it in then rented it out. Cash flow was around $350 per month.

Step 3: Bought a primary home in a LCOL city for $200,000 and rehabbed it. Now worth $350,000.

Step 4: Bought a four multifamily in a LCOL for $500,000. No rehab needed. Now worth $650,000

Step 5: Brought the four family rents up to market rate which is $5200 per month.

Success story B

Step 1: Bought a condo in 2014 in a HCOL city for $200,000 and rented it to a roommate (house hacking). 

Step 3: Bought a new primary home in a LCOL for $175,000 which costs less per month than rent.

Step 6: Rented an apartment with somebody else. Saved $1,000 per month in monthly housing costs.

Step 6: Bought another condo $250,000 in a HCOL city that cash flows with 5.5% rate and 25% down

------

Each client started with a 5% down payment, was in the early 30s, and didn't make a six figure income. No family help either. 

It's possible to build up a portfolio with time. Time is the key because over-time rents and home prices rise. 

this is a great story 😁😁😁

gives me hope in my journey 

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Eric Girard
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Boston
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Boston
Replied
Quote from @Twannisha Jackson:
Quote from @Eric Girard:

Hi guys,

Success story A

Success story B

------

this is a great story 😁😁😁

gives me hope in my journey 

You can do it too! One of these investors are now buying a MF.