Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Legal & Legislation
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas A.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Unresponsive Business “Partner” - Short Sale

Nicholas A.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Posted Jul 7 2024, 04:56

Hello,

My name is Nick. To make a really long story short, I have just completed a Short-Sale of a single-family home a business partner and I built in Horseshoe Bay, Texas, right outside of Austin, Texas.

Our Operating Agreement states that we are to split 50%/50% of all expenses within the business and treat any unexpected monies due as loans and paid back equally amongst the partners. Due to unexpected circumstances, I’ve had to come out of pocket probably close to about 50K or more since the inception of the project, and he’s made excuse after excuse as to why he has not been able to. Unfortunately, you cannot just tell your private lender or builder that you cannot make the payments, so I’ve covered all of the costs. At this point, and for the previous year, he’s been fairly and almost completely unresponsive to my messages outside of communication with our realtor and private lender. Now that the house has been sold and we no longer have to communicate with a realtor, this behavior is worse. 

We owe the lender a hefty sum due to the short sale, and my partner should be responsible for at least as much as I have paid into the deal so far. My “partner” has not come thru on his side of the deal. I am ready to file a lawsuit. 

Any guidance is gladly accepted and welcomed.

Thanks,

Nick

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Jul 7 2024, 05:23
Quote from @Nicholas A.:

Hello,

My name is Nick. To make a really long story short, I have just completed a Short-Sale of a single-family home a business partner and I built in Horseshoe Bay, Texas, right outside of Austin, Texas.

Our Operating Agreement states that we are to split 50%/50% of all expenses within the business and treat any unexpected monies due as loans and paid back equally amongst the partners. Due to unexpected circumstances, I’ve had to come out of pocket probably close to about 50K or more since the inception of the project, and he’s made excuse after excuse as to why he has not been able to. Unfortunately, you cannot just tell your private lender or builder that you cannot make the payments, so I’ve covered all of the costs. At this point, and for the previous year, he’s been fairly and almost completely unresponsive to my messages outside of communication with our realtor and private lender. Now that the house has been sold and we no longer have to communicate with a realtor, this behavior is worse. 

We owe the lender a hefty sum due to the short sale, and my partner should be responsible for at least as much as I have paid into the deal so far. My “partner” has not come thru on his side of the deal. I am ready to file a lawsuit. 

Thanks,

Nick

Do you know if this person has the money? When you vetted this partner did you check their financials?

Since it was a short sale, I would consider letting the private lender sue the entity first and you and him with the assumed guarantee as well. Hopefully you are not responsible for his portion from the private lender.

For what you are owed, yes you could start that lawsuit and i would start that one now.

User Stats

Votes
Randall Alan
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Lakeland, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Lakeland, FL
Replied Jul 7 2024, 05:25
Quote from @Nicholas A.:

Hello,

Thanks,

Nick

@Nicholas A.

Hi Nick,

Was the short sale house your only business together?  If not, maybe you could transfer value from another project in your portfolio at a “not 50/50” basis to compensate you for the disproportionate outlays on your part?  So as an example - make another project 75% yours versus 50/50.  That same concept could be used on a going forward basis as well.  “The next project we do I am  to be compensated for the excessive outlay on the last short sale.”  perhaps a simple conversation like that could solve things?

A lot depends on whether you want to hold your partnership together, or blow it up?  Without knowing more about the duration and other projects both past and future it’s hard to know what to recommend.  Likewise - what skills & value the other person brings to your partnership?  Are you the money and he is the hands guy for instance?  Is he (or someone like him) necessary to your existence in the business?

Likewise there is an “assets” consideration to think about.  Does he have assets he (or perhaps you) can access to be compensated by - either voluntarily or if you end up in a legal fight. 
Know that lawyers are expensive for both of you though, and they are happy to spend your money at $400/hr or whatever.  

Food for thought…

Randy

PropStream logo
PropStream
|
Sponsored
Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Minna Reid
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Jacksonville FL & Middletown CT
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Jacksonville FL & Middletown CT
Replied Jul 8 2024, 10:21

If the partner has assets to pursue - start a lawsuit now. 

If he is broke, its just a waste of your time, and I would say cut your losses now and consider it a lesson learned.

User Stats

Votes
Don Konipol
Pro Member
#1 Innovative Strategies Contributor
  • Lender
  • The Woodlands, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Innovative Strategies Contributor
  • Lender
  • The Woodlands, TX
Replied Jul 10 2024, 06:13
Quote from @Nicholas A.:

Hello,

Thanks,

Nick

Take all the prior advice given and trash it.  One word: lawyer