Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Medium-Term Rentals
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Yulia Orlov
Votes |
Mid-term rental to a company

Yulia Orlov
Posted

Hello! I have a house that I rent out mid-term, and I always rented it to families etc… I was contacted by a company who wants to rent it for their executive from UK… 

How do I process it? I can’t run a background check… And what about the rental agreement? Do I write it to a person? Company? Any specific clauses I should add? 
thank you! 

User Stats

Votes
Warren Lizo
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Boston, MA
Replied

Hi Yulia,

First, make sure the company is legitimate. If that inquiry is out of the blue, it sounds a little sketchy. 

Second, if you are renting to a company then you need to diligence the company and its ability to pay and abide by the lease terms, just like a residential tenant. This is not always easy though. The foreign company needs to have a EIN or a representative in the US with an TIN so you can look up its credit worthiness. Although you can't look up criminal history, you can get landlord references from other landlords with whom they have worked. Different from a residential tenant, you will need to have an agreement that states their expected conduct, when and how they will remove their tenant, and if you want any screening done in advance for the person(s) staying in the unit.

There are some of the major considerations. It could be a lucrative relationship if it is legitimized. I wish you the best and please keep us updated with how it goes.

User Stats

Votes
Yulia Orlov
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Warren Lizo:

Hi Yulia,

First, make sure the company is legitimate. If that inquiry is out of the blue, it sounds a little sketchy. 

Second, if you are renting to a company then you need to diligence the company and its ability to pay and abide by the lease terms, just like a residential tenant. This is not always easy though. The foreign company needs to have a EIN or a representative in the US with an TIN so you can look up its credit worthiness. Although you can't look up criminal history, you can get landlord references from other landlords with whom they have worked. Different from a residential tenant, you will need to have an agreement that states their expected conduct, when and how they will remove their tenant, and if you want any screening done in advance for the person(s) staying in the unit.

There are some of the major considerations. It could be a lucrative relationship if it is legitimized. I wish you the best and please keep us updated with how it goes.

The company is a huge gas provider in the area, and the communication came from corporate email (not Gmail), so hopefully legit :)

Thank you!

Baselane logo
Baselane
|
Sponsored
Baselane is the Ultimate All-In-One Banking Platform for REI Built with integrated rent collection & bookkeeping to save time so you can grow your RE business.

User Stats

Votes
Jamie Banks#2 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Reston, VA
Votes |
Jamie Banks#2 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Reston, VA
Replied

I would structure the lease as a corporate lease to the company, if the company wants the lease in the occupants (employees) name make sure to get a letter of responsibility from the company stating that they're financially responsible for the rental agreement. 

User Stats

Votes
Miguel Del Mazo
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied

We are starting to see more and more demand from corporate entitities at our MTRs whether that be from companies providing for their executives or skilled laborers, or insurance-associated temporary housing.  Interestingly, these leads have come 50/50 from furnished finder and AirBnB (sorry, Vrbo). 

This has been great as there has been a general decrease in the number of traveling medical professionals in our area, and those travelers have been more price-sensitive than during COVID.  The corporate clients have been very easy to work with, and they seem less concerned about the dollars charged as the quality of the level of service provided. That means, be responsive and cordial.  These booking are often not made by your eventual resident, but rather they may be made by some harried assistant who ultimately has the power to choose where the "VIP" stays. Keep that person happy, and they will keep you happy as well.