Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Medium-Term Rentals
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Daulton
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Abilene, TX
Votes |
Max number of residents per unit

Ryan Daulton
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Abilene, TX
Posted

I'm building a new MF house, targeting travel medics.  It is very near to the main medical district.  I plan on building a duplex (so 2 kitchens and 2 living rooms).  Everybody will have private baths.  Do you think applicants would be willing to share the kitchen with 3 others?  I'm debating whether to build 8 total bedrooms or 6.  I've heard that traveling medics are generally not home much.  

User Stats

Votes
Colleen F.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Replied

@Ryan Daulton  It depends on your location.  Rooms are more of an option in expensive locations. They also seem to be more the choice of ancillary heath personnel.  I think 3 bedrooms is probably optimal thinking about shifts ect.   Also consider parking is that 6 or 8 cars?  Will you have room for that? Are all rooms single occupancy?  If not you can have more than 1 person per room and more than 1 car per room.  Some people cook, some do alot of take out but in general they aren't around much. 

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Daulton
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Abilene, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Abilene, TX
Replied

This will be my first landlording experience, but after I meet with my architect I should have a better idea of how much space will be available for parking.  From your comment above, it sounds like you believe medics would prefer only 3 rooms / unit.  

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Corby Goade
Property Manager
Agent
  • Investor
  • Boise, ID
Votes |
Property Manager
Agent
  • Investor
  • Boise, ID
Replied

IMHO it's a mistake to plan on a very specific market and tenant profile. If you have a good product and provide good service, you'll appeal to the masses and then you'll have a much higher quality tenant base. Plus, regulations change and businesses move and staffing needs ebb and flow, I want to remain profitable in the worst case scenario. 

Sharing a kitchen probably isn't a big deal for a short term contractor. I don't think it's ideal, though. In my experience, when you rent by the room with shared common spaces, you end up with lower quality tenants and higher vacancy in the long run. It should still work as an LTR though- worst case scenario, would the numbers work for you if you had to go that route? 

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Daulton
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Abilene, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Abilene, TX
Replied

I would break even on LTR.

User Stats

Votes
Colleen F.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Replied

@Ryan Daulton Also watch out for unrelated person ordinances. They are more common in college towns I don't think you are in one, also with a duplex you shouldn't run into that or boarding house regulations but better safe if you are building something.  I think 3 per side but you could do 4 if the cost isn't much different and switch that room to an exercise or visitor room if that doesn't work.  

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Daulton
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Abilene, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Abilene, TX
Replied

I never heard of unrelated person ordinances before

User Stats

Votes
Colleen F.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Replied

@Ryan Daulton Big in college towns.  They have been fighting one in Narragansett for as long as I can remember. It limits unrelated persons to 3 or 4 people in a SF. They come up with a new one every couple years here. It is to limit student housing. What they don't understand is that  you should address behaviors.