Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Medium-Term Rentals

User Stats

Votes
Nikky Jarvis
Votes |
Vetting MTR guests

Nikky Jarvis
Posted Jun 26 2024, 13:32

I have been getting requests from guests on VRBO for extended stays  - up to 5 months. I've only used Furnished Finders to vet guests on that platform, and wondered what suggestions anyone has about MTR guests through VRBO. I'm presently hosting my first MTR guest who came through Furnished Finders so all the background checks and payments were handled on that platform. I've only had short term guests through VRBO and did not have require background checks. Any recommendation is welcome.

Thank you in advance!

User Stats

Votes
Lindsey Mannix#3 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Woodland Park, CO
Votes |
Lindsey Mannix#3 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Woodland Park, CO
Replied Jun 26 2024, 15:49

Hi Nikky,

I handle stays over 28 days in any of my STR and MTR properties like I do my LTR properties - background and credit check required, minimum income requirements and they sign a lease.

~ Lindsey

User Stats

Votes
Allen Duan
Pro Member
#3 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jun 26 2024, 16:06

For MTR bookings through an OTA, like VRBO or Furnished Finder, you'll have to get creative if you want to do background and credit checks. I've heard of some hosts adding to the house rules that the guests must complete those steps after booking on the OTA platform, otherwise the booking will be canceled.

At my company, we don't do background and credit checks for OTA bookings, but we do ask why they're renting a MTR and who will be staying with them. The answer to those questions is usually enough for me to know if I want to take the booking or not.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Nikky Jarvis
Votes |
Replied Jun 26 2024, 17:24
Quote from @Allen Duan:

For MTR bookings through an OTA, like VRBO or Furnished Finder, you'll have to get creative if you want to do background and credit checks. I've heard of some hosts adding to the house rules that the guests must complete those steps after booking on the OTA platform, otherwise the booking will be canceled.

At my company, we don't do background and credit checks for OTA bookings, but we do ask why they're renting a MTR and who will be staying with them. The answer to those questions is usually enough for me to know if I want to take the booking or not.

Thank you so much for your response. 

User Stats

Votes
Nikky Jarvis
Votes |
Replied Jun 26 2024, 17:31
Quote from @Lindsey Mannix:

Hi Nikky,

I handle stays over 28 days in any of my STR and MTR properties like I do my LTR properties - background and credit check required, minimum income requirements and they sign a lease.

~ Lindsey

Thanks for your response and for the information.

User Stats

Votes
Bonnie Low
Pro Member
#1 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Replied Jul 2 2024, 21:07
Quote from @Allen Duan:

But you do have them sign a lease, right?

User Stats

Votes
Nikky Jarvis
Votes |
Replied Jul 2 2024, 21:36
Quote from @Bonnie Low:
Quote from @Allen Duan:

Yes, I inform them that they will sign a lease. Some people stop responding when they are informed about background checks/credit checks requirement.

User Stats

Votes
Bonnie Low
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Replied Jul 3 2024, 09:09
Quote from @Nikky Jarvis:
Quote from @Bonnie Low:
Quote from @Allen Duan:

Yes, I inform them that they will sign a lease. Some people stop responding when they are informed about background checks/credit checks requirement.

My question was actually for Allen Duan but I'm glad you get a lease signed. Those that run away from the background and credit checks are probably ones you don't want anyway : )

User Stats

Votes
Allen Duan
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jul 3 2024, 10:27
Quote from @Bonnie Low:
Quote from @Allen Duan:

Hi Bonnie, we do sometimes but not always. You definitely can require a lease for Airbnb bookings. Sometimes Airbnb guests find it unusual, so you may lose some potential bookings with the requirement.

User Stats

Votes
Bonnie Low
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Replied Jul 3 2024, 20:34
Quote from @Allen Duan:
Quote from @Bonnie Low:
Quote from @Allen Duan:

Hi Bonnie, we do sometimes but not always. You definitely can require a lease for Airbnb bookings. Sometimes Airbnb guests find it unusual, so you may lose some potential bookings with the requirement.

Thanks, Allen. At what point do you introduce the lease when you're using Airbnb? Do you mention there is a separate lease agreement in the property description? What if you accept the Airbnb booking and then they refuse to sign the lease? Do you cancel the Airbnb booking and just take the hit? I'm just curious how this works because I advertise my MTRs on FF only.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 5 2024, 08:20

Hi Nikky,

~ Lindsey

Agree with this!

User Stats

Votes
Nikky Jarvis
Votes |
Replied Jul 5 2024, 17:28
Quote from @Nikky Jarvis:
Quote from @Bonnie Low:
Quote from @Allen Duan:

User Stats

Votes
Nikky Jarvis
Votes |
Replied Jul 5 2024, 17:35

I think it's a great idea to include these in the house rules so potential guests/midterm renters will be clear what is expected prior to their booking. I'll ensure to update my house rule accordingly.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Nikky Jarvis
Votes |
Replied Jul 5 2024, 17:37
Quote from @Mose Gebremeskel:

Hi Nikky,

~ .Lindsey

Agree with this!

I agree too.

User Stats

Votes
Zachary Deal#1 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Lender
Votes |
Zachary Deal#1 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Lender
Replied Jul 8 2024, 07:24

I think it really comes down to what you are comfortable with but I don't think background check, credit card check, etc on top of a signed lease (and even small security deposit) is unreasonable for an MTR. Just make sure to include the details in the house rules, etc.

User Stats

Votes
Allen Duan
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jul 10 2024, 14:59
Quote from @Bonnie Low:
Quote from @Allen Duan:
Quote from @Bonnie Low:
Quote from @Allen Duan:

Thanks, Allen. At what point do you introduce the lease when you're using Airbnb? Do you mention there is a separate lease agreement in the property description? What if you accept the Airbnb booking and then they refuse to sign the lease? Do you cancel the Airbnb booking and just take the hit? I'm just curious how this works because I advertise my MTRs on FF only.

Great questions! We don't require leases for our Airbnb bookings. I can't vouch for this myself since I haven't used this process, but I've heard others report that you can have Airbnb cancel the booking with no penalty to you if you stated that signing a lease is required upon booking. I guess it's considered breaking the house rules in Airbnb's eyes.