Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Medium-Term Rentals
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
James Krywin
Votes |
Deciding if it will be a good investment to rent out or sell existing house

James Krywin
Posted Jan 5 2024, 15:55

Hi All,

I am in the process of moving and am at a cross-roads. I need to determine where I should sell or rent out my house.

To do so, I am need to understand what is considered the "breakeven" and "target" % of rent versus a property's costs. For example, if the property was $3,000 in mortgage payments (including taxes). What should we target to have the rent as (I do understand that rent is decided by the local prices)?

If the property could generate rent that $4,000 of the mortgage, is that a good deal? This would give ~133% of the mortgage amount and 12k annually (assuming no vacancy).

By my crude calculations, if things were to go wrong each year (e.g., bathroom fixes, boiler, roof repair, etc.), this 12k should be able to roughly cover those expenses (give or take). Am I missing something?

As for selling the house.. I have lived in the house for nearly a year during which I have been aggressively renovating. This has improved the prices of the property, but it is not enough based on a house flipper's calculations (estimated an ROI of ~7-11%). I am hoping that the wider group here can advise on the rental cash flow amount as well as any additional factors to consider. Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Alecia Loveless
Pro Member
#4 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
Replied Jan 5 2024, 23:40

@James Krywin Hi James, it is dependent upon the area as to whether or not the tenant in a SFH will be responsible for the water and sewer bills or if that will fall to the owner. If is not customary in my location for tenants to pay this and the municipalities won't let those utilities be transferred into the tenants name, so if I were to charge for this I would have to either bill the tenant each time I received the invoice from the utility or simply work an average cost into the rent. This may be an additional cost you have not factored into your accounting as well such as trash pickup if there is an additional expense for that or if the tenant will have to pay for that or if there's a transfer station.

Otherwise you’ve basically got your figures correct.

Biggerpockets has a Rental Calculator on their website under the tools section that you can use 5 times for free. If allows you to calculate for a vacancy percentage each month, I typically use 5% of rent, a CapEx percentage for things like the roof or furnace, once again if those are in pretty good shape I will use 5% and repairs and maintenance.

User Stats

Votes
James Krywin
Votes |
Replied Jan 7 2024, 17:30
Ok, thank you Alecia. You are correct. I did not factor garbage/trash and utilities such as electricity. I'll need to see what can be transferred onto the tenant. I am aware that garbage can be self-serve here. Water is well and sewage is septic, so that has been factored into my rental calculations.

I will look into the calculator in a bit. Appreciate your response. Thanks
BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!