Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Medium-Term Rentals
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Catherine Javier
  • Investor
Votes |
How much pet fee per pet?

Catherine Javier
  • Investor
Posted

Hi everyone!

An interested tenant wants to lease our furnished home. 3 dogs and 4th is an ESA. Based on experience, we usually have 1 dog/family or tenant. 

How much is a reasonable non refundable pet fee? Usually we charge $150/month Based on comps. 
and it should be per pet, i am assuming. (For a midterm stay)

I am not sure if this matters, they’re Mutts and American bully.

and just in case they want to do a long term route, how much is the reasonable charge?

thanks everyone!

User Stats

Votes
Brett Deas
  • Colorado
Votes |
  • Colorado
Replied

The way I run my pet fee is as follows:

Refundable pet deposit of 200$ and a monthly pet rent of about $25-$50 depending on the pet. The reason my deposit is refundable is it incentivizes the tenant to take care of the place, because once your deposit is non-refundable the tenant doesn't have an incentive to keep it nice regarding the animal. And the monthly rent offsets the cost for the extra cleaning. 

I feel like 150 per pet can be really pricey if the have 3 pets, and do you really need that much? 

User Stats

Votes
Catherine Javier
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied
thank you @Brett Deas! We just didn’t have experience about this. We usually have 1 pet/ tenant.

Quote from @Brett Deas:

Refundable pet deposit of 200$ and a monthly pet rent of about $25-$50 depending on the pet. The reason my deposit is refundable is it incentivizes the tenant to take care of the place, because once your deposit is non-refundable the tenant doesn't have an incentive to keep it nice regarding the animal. And the monthly rent offsets the cost for the extra cleaning. 

I feel like 150 per pet can be really pricey if the have 3 pets, and do you really need that much? 

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
Conner Olsen
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied
Quote from @Brett Deas:

@Catherine Javier I would tweak Brett's advice and ask for a $500 deposit. 4 dogs can wreck some furniture.

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Walton
  • Property Manager
  • Pittsburgh PA
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Pittsburgh PA
Replied
Quote from @Brett Deas:

I really like this idea! It gives both security to the owner and the tenant! Thanks for sharing Brett!

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan R McLaughlin
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Boston, Massachusetts (MA)
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Boston, Massachusetts (MA)
Replied

4 dogs in a furnished home? I would look for a better tenant. you will certainly be looking for new furniture...

User Stats

Votes
Tim Miller
Pro Member
  • Laurel, MD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Laurel, MD
Replied

We have a 2 pet max rule, not 2 dogs and 2 cats, 2 pets period! We charge $300 per pet nonrefundable fee and $50 per pet a month rent. We would reject this applicant and you have a furnished home, reject them. I wouldn't roll the dice on this one.

User Stats

Votes
Catherine Javier
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied
thanks for your thoughts guys!

Quote from @Kevin Walton:
Quote from @Brett Deas:

I really like this idea! It gives both security to the owner and the tenant! Thanks for sharing Brett!

User Stats

Votes
Alecia Loveless
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied

@Catherine Javier I just wouldn’t rent to that many dogs. My limit is 2 pets.

User Stats

Votes
Catherine Javier
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied

Thank you @alecia! We just turned down the tenant… 

User Stats

Votes
John Morgan
Pro Member
  • Grand Prairie, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Grand Prairie, TX
Replied

I make all mine pet friendly and don’t charge for pet fees or pet deposit. I just ask market rate and keep it high. It’s less of a headache and so far I’ve never had an issue.

User Stats

Votes
Julien Jeannot
  • CPA, Real Estate Broker & Investor
  • Seattle & Woodinville, WA
Votes |
  • CPA, Real Estate Broker & Investor
  • Seattle & Woodinville, WA
Replied

I limit the # of pets and depending on the property & insurance, the bread and size.

$250 non refundable, $50/mo per pet.

Keep in mind those ADA laws.

User Stats

Votes
Bill J Fay
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • San Diego
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • San Diego
Replied

All great recommendations above. One other thing to consider, pay attention to state/local laws regarding pet fee and deposits. In Colorado, Gov. Jared Polis signed House Bill 23-1068 into law in June. This limits pet security deposits to $300, and they must be refundable. Also limits any pet fee to $35 or 1.5% of the rent, whichever is higher. Your state may vary, but I see other states following this trend.

Vacasa logo
Vacasa
|
Sponsored
We do the work. You get the ROI. We do it all for your vacation rental. All—marketing, pricing, guest requests, housekeeping & more.