Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Medium-Term Rentals
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Lemelin
Pro Member
Votes |
MTR Travel Nurse Rentals In LA Area?

Ryan Lemelin
Pro Member
Posted Jul 11 2023, 13:27

Hi all! I am from Lewiston originally but currently live in San Diego, CA with a 1 bed 1 bath single unit MTR I am renting out to traveling healthcare professionals. It has been great so far in CA with that rental, however, I am looking to see if back home would be a viable option to add on to my rental portfolio as it is much more affordable than CA. Does anyone have any MTR or STR properties exclusively renting to traveling professionals in the LA area? Just curious if there is enough demand for travelers at CMMC and St. Mary's or if some are traveling down to Portland to save money on rent. Anyone that has any insight into this would be very helpful! Thanks again.

User Stats

Votes
Zachary Tracy
  • Property Manager
  • Bangor, ME
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Bangor, ME
Replied Jul 18 2023, 06:23

Hey Ryan, I don't have any properties in LA, but I know that Maine has traveling nurses that come as north as Dover. I would suggest checking the listings on Furnished Finder and seeing how booked  they are. There are some major hospitals there, and just form watching the news, I know they have trouble with staffing. I also would tell you that rents in Portland will be much higher than LA, so I would actually say your statement should be reversed. Nurses working in Portland may be willing to drive from LA. I actually did that myself for some time. 

User Stats

Votes
Colleen F.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Replied Jul 18 2023, 08:23

@Ryan Lemelin what you hear from nurses is that California contract are drying up but it is cyclical.  I would not restrict yourself to traveling healthcare workers.  Look at availability and demand on furnished finder and FB groups to see what is renting. 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 20 2023, 05:34

Hey Ryan, I think I can probably offer a little insight into the region and traveling medical housing needs.  I've been working travel nursing contracts for about 8 years in northern New England, and have done multiples at CMMC, MMC and St Marys.  Its true that there is a big push in the past 6 months for hospitals to decrease the use of contractors, but ultimately there are unique dynamics at CMMC in particular that will create an ongoing need for temp workers.  I have a few friends who do MTRs in Lewiston and have been pretty happy with it.  My properties are a little further north in the Waterville area, but I've definitely bounced around the idea of buying a MTR in L/A area.  Glad to talk more about this whenever you'd like.  

User Stats

Votes
David Tremblay
Lender
Pro Member
  • Insurance Agent
Votes |
Lender
Pro Member
  • Insurance Agent
Replied Aug 15 2023, 11:10

Hey Ryan, I think this is a great idea! It's much more affordable and when you compare to the rents vs out in CA the numbers make way more sense. Ideally if you could purchase a 1-4 unit and owner occupy it you could get into something with very little money down. I happen to know a guy who could both help finance it and insure it. Sounds like you are finally coming to your senses.

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Lemelin
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Sep 6 2023, 12:15
Quote from @Zachary Tracy:

Hey Ryan, I don't have any properties in LA, but I know that Maine has traveling nurses that come as north as Dover. I would suggest checking the listings on Furnished Finder and seeing how booked  they are. There are some major hospitals there, and just form watching the news, I know they have trouble with staffing. I also would tell you that rents in Portland will be much higher than LA, so I would actually say your statement should be reversed. Nurses working in Portland may be willing to drive from LA. I actually did that myself for some time. 

Hey Zachary! Thanks for you insights and recommendations. To be honest, I would rather have a property in the Portland area due to its popularity and higher % of healthcare jobs. So I do agree with you on that. Just looking for a little more affordability in my old backyard! Thanks again

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Lemelin
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Sep 6 2023, 12:24
Quote from @Matt Caldwell:

Hey Ryan, I think I can probably offer a little insight into the region and traveling medical housing needs.  I've been working travel nursing contracts for about 8 years in northern New England, and have done multiples at CMMC, MMC and St Marys.  Its true that there is a big push in the past 6 months for hospitals to decrease the use of contractors, but ultimately there are unique dynamics at CMMC in particular that will create an ongoing need for temp workers.  I have a few friends who do MTRs in Lewiston and have been pretty happy with it.  My properties are a little further north in the Waterville area, but I've definitely bounced around the idea of buying a MTR in L/A area.  Glad to talk more about this whenever you'd like.  

Hey Matt! Glad to hear this insight from a traveling professional like yourself! I actually used to work in radiology as a traveler and loved every second of it. 
I totally understand what you mean how contractors like ourselves can be phased out overtime due to high costs. But this is good to hear that there is still a need in the LA area for travelers, as I believe there will always be a need.
I hope the Waterville area has treated you well and I am definitely open to chat further about this!
PS-I am not the best at checking this as you can see by my 2 month post reply (haha). I will check  more often if you do end up reaching out

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Lemelin
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Sep 6 2023, 12:26
Quote from @Colleen F.:

@Ryan Lemelin what you hear from nurses is that California contract are drying up but it is cyclical.  I would not restrict yourself to traveling healthcare workers.  Look at availability and demand on furnished finder and FB groups to see what is renting. 

Hi Colleen. Thanks for your reply! I agree it is not wise to just restrict myself to traveling professionals. I would keep options open to not pull all my eggs in one basket