Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Medium-Term Rentals

User Stats

Votes
Keith Yazdan
Votes |
Palm Springs, CA Short term and Midterm

Keith Yazdan
Posted May 15 2023, 17:50

Hello everyone,

I am closing on a multi unit property tomorrow in unincorporated Palm Springs. Being that I am do not in incorporated Palm Springs, I do not fall under the city's short term rental regulations. However, I would like to also list out the unit as a midterm rental. And also expand my MTR listings in the area.

What specific sites do does everyone use for midterm rentals in the high desert area? Furnish Finder, corporate housing sites, relocation companies, etc?

And what type of success have you had?

In addition, what do you do in the summer to keep your STR booked?

I will be moving to the area, and I would love to connect with any fellow investors and hosts.

I appreciate all of your insight and feedback!

Best,

Keith

User Stats

Votes
Jamie Banks#2 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Reston, VA
Votes |
Jamie Banks#2 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Reston, VA
Replied May 15 2023, 21:36

Hi Keith,

Congrats on closing on a multifamily property! I use a mix of Furnished Finder and Airbnb to list my MTRs. Oftentimes corporate relocation companies will look for housing through Furnished Finder so you’ll be able to connect with them through the site. ALE Solutions is also a site you can list on for insurance related claims. 

I’ve had good success so far with my MTRs however it’s important to understand that MTRs take more work to get booked than STRs. You’ll have to follow up with Furnished Finder leads and guide them through your screening process. You should also start networking directly with companies in your area and letting them know that you’re a temporary housing provider. 

User Stats

Votes
Zach Edelman
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied May 16 2023, 06:29

From what I understand after talking with multiple MTR investors, is that the more booking platforms the better. Especially if you're doing rent by the room. I'd look into Air BnB, VRBO, Furnished Finder, PadSplit, and perhaps even booking.com (I know a lot of STR operators use this, not sure of MTR potential but worth checking out).

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Nixon C.
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Southern California
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Southern California
Replied Jul 25 2024, 09:06

Hi @Keith Yazdan, how did the MTR venture work out for you? I. Looking into trying it as well.

User Stats

Votes
Lindsay Tucker
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver, CO
Replied Jul 26 2024, 12:51

I've always had good luck with Furnished Finder (but in the Denver market). It wasn't any more work than finding a long-term tenant. You can also use Airbnb and other STR sites for mid-term stays, which may end up being less work in the long run that Furnished Finder. I stopped using Booking.com altogether because they had so much fraud.

The Key Team  Logo