Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Medium-Term Rentals
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Danya Diaz
Votes |
Short-Term Rental & Mid-Term Rental After Super Bowl

Danya Diaz
Posted

Hello!

I have a 4 bedroom, 2 bath fully furnished w/ pool property in Surprise Farms III Community posted on Airbnb, Furnished Finder and multiple insurance companies however the house is not getting renting. Does anyone have any tips or additional posting suggestions for this gorgeous property?

Tasha Home Away from Home | Furnished Finder

User Stats

Votes
Nicole Heasley Beitenman
Pro Member
#5 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Investor
  • Youngstown, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Youngstown, OH
Replied

It probably isn't getting rented on FF because it's too large. Without knowing more, I'm inclined to say it's a pricing issue. Is the rent the same on both FF and ABB? Are you in a saturated market? 

User Stats

Votes
Evan Kline
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Winston Salem, NC
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Winston Salem, NC
Replied

@Danya Diaz why are people traveling to your city? You mention in the start of your description the stadiums, but are people really traveling to Phoenix for a month or longer for sports games?

Just from a marketing perspective, I would include at the very beginning the most attractive thing to whoever your ideal tenant is. So for instance if you're trying to appeal to a traveling nurse, "walking distance from ABC hospital and 7 minute drive from XYZ hospital."

For traveling nurses I would recommend posting on "Travel Nurse Housing - The Gypsy Nurse" facebook group. There's 130,000+ members in there. You can search for Pheonix and it will give you a sense of the pricing people are expecting.  

I would also recommend reaching out to larger local realtor firms and offer your property as a rental if they have any clients moving to town who need a place to stay while they shop around for properties. About 1/3 of our tenants in our MTR units are people in this situation. 

I would also pick one strategy - either STR or MTR. We've found with our properties STR's create weird gaps that make it difficult for people who need our property for longer periods of time to book. It also helps if all your messaging/marketing on your property is geared toward one or the other. People who are wanting to stay for 30 days or longer aren't interested in properties that talk about all the vacation-type benefits and amenities of the property, and if you spend all your time talking about the pool and the stadiums they'll probably pass. They want to know it's comfortable and convenient to work from and that it can feel like a home away from home, not necessarily a vacation.

Baselane logo
Baselane
|
Sponsored
Baselane is the Ultimate All-In-One Banking Platform for REI Built with integrated rent collection & bookkeeping to save time so you can grow your RE business.

User Stats

Votes
Conner Olsen
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied
Quote from @Danya Diaz:

Hello!

I have a 4 bedroom, 2 bath fully furnished w/ pool property in Surprise Farms III Community posted on Airbnb, Furnished Finder and multiple insurance companies however the house is not getting renting. Does anyone have any tips or additional posting suggestions for this gorgeous property?

FB Marketplace, FB groups on renting. If you're not getting booked on those platforms you either have no demand in your area or you're priced too high.

User Stats

Votes
Danya Diaz
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Conner Olsen:
Quote from @Danya Diaz:

Hello!

FB Marketplace, FB groups on renting. If you're not getting booked on those platforms you either have no demand in your area or you're priced too high.

Yes, I am looking to add more FB groups to advertise my rental properties. Any group in particular you recommend? Thank you! 

User Stats

Votes
Danya Diaz
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Evan Kline:

@Danya Diaz why are people traveling to your city? You mention in the start of your description the stadiums, but are people really traveling to Phoenix for a month or longer for sports games?

Just from a marketing perspective, I would include at the very beginning the most attractive thing to whoever your ideal tenant is. So for instance if you're trying to appeal to a traveling nurse, "walking distance from ABC hospital and 7 minute drive from XYZ hospital."

For traveling nurses I would recommend posting on "Travel Nurse Housing - The Gypsy Nurse" facebook group. There's 130,000+ members in there. You can search for Pheonix and it will give you a sense of the pricing people are expecting.  

I would also recommend reaching out to larger local realtor firms and offer your property as a rental if they have any clients moving to town who need a place to stay while they shop around for properties. About 1/3 of our tenants in our MTR units are people in this situation. 

I would also pick one strategy - either STR or MTR. We've found with our properties STR's create weird gaps that make it difficult for people who need our property for longer periods of time to book. It also helps if all your messaging/marketing on your property is geared toward one or the other. People who are wanting to stay for 30 days or longer aren't interested in properties that talk about all the vacation-type benefits and amenities of the property, and if you spend all your time talking about the pool and the stadiums they'll probably pass. They want to know it's comfortable and convenient to work from and that it can feel like a home away from home, not necessarily a vacation.

Great suggestions and marketing strategy is top priority for this quarter. It's a preference of mine to be able to pivot from STR to MTR to LTR it's all about what will make the most return. However, identifying one as the primary might be the best way to strategize targeting that audience. Much appreciated and will take this information into action. Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Danya Diaz
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Nicole Heasley Beitenman:

It probably isn't getting rented on FF because it's too large. Without knowing more, I'm inclined to say it's a pricing issue. Is the rent the same on both FF and ABB? Are you in a saturated market? 

@Nicole Heasley Beitenman I just had two travel nurses rent the home for 2 months so I know they don't mind if the home is big as long as they had a pool and it fit their needs. The rent on Airbnb is actually lower than FF due to the suggested rate of ABB. However, I have it off ABB at this time and it is only posted on FF as I prefer to do a MTR than a daily rate. If you have any groups you suggest I join on FB let me know. I would greatly appreciate that. 

User Stats

Votes
Nicole Heasley Beitenman
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Youngstown, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Youngstown, OH
Replied
Quote from @Danya Diaz:
Quote from @Nicole Heasley Beitenman:

@Nicole Heasley Beitenman I just had two travel nurses rent the home for 2 months so I know they don't mind if the home is big as long as they had a pool and it fit their needs. The rent on Airbnb is actually lower than FF due to the suggested rate of ABB. However, I have it off ABB at this time and it is only posted on FF as I prefer to do a MTR than a daily rate. If you have any groups you suggest I join on FB let me know. I would greatly appreciate that. 

From what I've been told by multiple investors, you don't have to do a daily rate on AirBnb. We plan to list there with a 30 day minimum stay. 

User Stats

Votes
Conner Olsen
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied
Quote from @Danya Diaz:
Quote from @Conner Olsen:
Quote from @Danya Diaz:

Hello!

Yes, I am looking to add more FB groups to advertise my rental properties. Any group in particular you recommend? Thank you! 

Search 'your city' furnished apartments, rooms for rent, furnished housing, etc. There are different groups for every city.