Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
House Hacking
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Owen Madigan
Votes |
Duplex House Hack with Partner (Recent College Grads)

Owen Madigan
Posted Sep 12 2024, 10:15

Hello,

I am new to bigger pockets but have been set on owning a duplex for some time now. My best friend from growing up and I are back home (Boston area) from college and want to save up to buy a duplex together and rent out the other side. The plan would be to live in it for a year together then move out and have both sides rented.

We would ideally look to be buying in about a year to 18 months from now, hopefully when rates come down. It's looking like prices are going to be around $1m. Any help/advice on what kind of financing to go for (FHA/conventional/first time home buyer benefits) and any insight on how best to do this with a partner would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

-Owen

User Stats

Votes
John Steffen
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Dallas/Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Dallas/Fort Worth, TX
Replied Sep 13 2024, 10:37

Hey Owen, yes, it's possible for both of you to be on title, split closing costs, etc. Your lender will likely base the loan off just one income/credit though (at least that's how my lenders have done it)

I would personally advise against it - life is a windy road and you never know when one of you may want out of the deal even if both have full intent to stay in from the onset. Instead, I would work together on a side hustle and see how fast you can stack cash so you both can go out and buy multi families. It's only 3.5% down + closing costs and reserves.

Work your day job, mow lawns, leaf cleanup, shovel snow, flip furniture, pick up night shifts waiting tables/bartending, stock shelves at home depot overnight if you hate talking to people or anything else. THIS part would be a blast to do with your buddy. See how fast you can each race to ~50k. Good luck! 

User Stats

Votes
Rick Albert#3 House Hacking Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Sep 13 2024, 13:03

It is all dependent on the numbers.

If you are planning on putting low money down, the odds of it cash flowing (or even breaking even) in the first year would be difficult. 

It would only work if you add a lot of value.

I also wouldn't wait for rates to drop. The problem is everyone else is in the same mentality, therefore if rates drop more, then competition rises, and so do prices (think 2021 but not as intense). 

Versus buying now, and when rates drop, you refinance. That way you also would have a lower loan balance (because each month you have been paying down the loan) and there may be some appreciation. This COULD result in removing your private mortgage insurance.

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!