Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
House Hacking
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jerad Graham
  • Developer
  • Miami, FL
Votes |
Purpose-Built for House Hacking

Jerad Graham
  • Developer
  • Miami, FL
Posted Sep 7 2024, 11:08

If someone developed a new property specifically for someone to buy who would be house hacking, what are some of the main things you would want to see in the property? Duplex, Triplex, Quadplex? Room counts? Amenities? Obviously it's market-dependent, but I'm curious about this community's wishlist.

User Stats

Votes
Wale Lawal
Agent
#2 House Hacking Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Sep 8 2024, 09:17

@Jerad Graham

House hacking properties should have features like a quadplex with 3-4 bedrooms, flexible layouts, private entrances, and amenities. Energy-efficient features, soundproofing, shared amenities, and local zoning compliance are crucial. Location is also important, as house hackers may seek properties near public transport, schools, and restaurants. FHA eligibility is also important for financing. The ultimate goal is to maximize income potential and tenant satisfaction.

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Jerad Graham
  • Developer
  • Miami, FL
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Miami, FL
Replied Sep 8 2024, 09:22
Quote from @Wale Lawal:

@Jerad Graham

House hacking properties should have features like a quadplex with 3-4 bedrooms, flexible layouts, private entrances, and amenities. Energy-efficient features, soundproofing, shared amenities, and local zoning compliance are crucial. Location is also important, as house hackers may seek properties near public transport, schools, and restaurants. FHA eligibility is also important for financing. The ultimate goal is to maximize income potential and tenant satisfaction.

Good luck!

What amenities would you look for in a quadplex? I don't see many with any amenities at all and building them into a budget with only 4 units usually isn't feasible.
BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Wale Lawal
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Sep 8 2024, 09:33
Quote from @Jerad Graham:
Quote from @Wale Lawal:

@Jerad Graham

Good luck!

What amenities would you look for in a quadplex? I don't see many with any amenities at all and building them into a budget with only 4 units usually isn't feasible.

Modern finishes, Washer and dryer and refrigerator.

3bed/2bath minimum is preferred in the Texas Market.

If you can add 2 car garage, that will make it more desirable and attach more buyers.

All the best

User Stats

Votes
Masyn Grant Barney
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Spanish Fork, UT
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Spanish Fork, UT
Replied Sep 9 2024, 09:21

We have a builder here in Utah that is building single family homes with fully separated basement ADUs. They come with fantastic insulation between the floors, extra parking on the side with a separate entrance, their own laundry, and plenty of bedrooms up & down. My favorite has 5 bedrooms up and 2-3 down. So the basement ADU brings in plenty of revenue to make the upstairs owners mortgage liability equal to that of a small townhome.

I think this will become much more common in areas where people are being priced out of the market. Lenders can use legal ADUs to help qualify for the mortgage, so people that didn't even want to house hack before, may be in the market to do so simply to afford the type of house they want. 

User Stats

Votes
Rick Albert#3 House Hacking Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Sep 9 2024, 13:04

It's really about the lending. There are very special circumstances where a lender will count projected rents by the room. Otherwise, it is all about individual units.

Plus I would argue that the House Hacking Community is small. As a developer, you want to cast the widest net possible. Because it is a form of investing, it isn't like a HH will pay a huge premium because of it.

If you want to get creative, it might be interesting to see what is in your market and what tenants desire. For example, if you are in a heavy bike community, maybe installing bike racks somewhere might bring some character to the property and it doesn't cost a lot. If you are up in the mountains, somewhere to store snowboards. If you are in a college area, maybe having a study room/den could be interesting with the house pre wired for internet.

If you are really set on your buyer being a house hacker, another interesting option for house hacking is to have each room with their own locks, etc. That's what I did for my first house hack since I had roommates. The cost isn't much different and a buyer can go in and start renting out rooms immediately. 

User Stats

Votes
Jerad Graham
  • Developer
  • Miami, FL
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Miami, FL
Replied Sep 9 2024, 15:10
Quote from @Masyn Grant Barney:

We have a builder here in Utah that is building single family homes with fully separated basement ADUs. They come with fantastic insulation between the floors, extra parking on the side with a separate entrance, their own laundry, and plenty of bedrooms up & down. My favorite has 5 bedrooms up and 2-3 down. So the basement ADU brings in plenty of revenue to make the upstairs owners mortgage liability equal to that of a small townhome.

I think this will become much more common in areas where people are being priced out of the market. Lenders can use legal ADUs to help qualify for the mortgage, so people that didn't even want to house hack before, may be in the market to do so simply to afford the type of house they want. 

Thank you. This gave me some creative ideas about how to configure the units and make it more appealing to a wider market with some variability/flexibility for the owner. 

User Stats

Votes
Jerad Graham
  • Developer
  • Miami, FL
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Miami, FL
Replied Sep 9 2024, 15:12
Quote from @Rick Albert:

It's really about the lending. There are very special circumstances where a lender will count projected rents by the room. Otherwise, it is all about individual units.

Plus I would argue that the House Hacking Community is small. As a developer, you want to cast the widest net possible. Because it is a form of investing, it isn't like a HH will pay a huge premium because of it.

If you want to get creative, it might be interesting to see what is in your market and what tenants desire. For example, if you are in a heavy bike community, maybe installing bike racks somewhere might bring some character to the property and it doesn't cost a lot. If you are up in the mountains, somewhere to store snowboards. If you are in a college area, maybe having a study room/den could be interesting with the house pre wired for internet.

If you are really set on your buyer being a house hacker, another interesting option for house hacking is to have each room with their own locks, etc. That's what I did for my first house hack since I had roommates. The cost isn't much different and a buyer can go in and start renting out rooms immediately. 

I have all separate units in mind, not shared houses. The buyers don't have to use it for HH, but there's a lending program available in the market I'm first considering it where HH would be more appealing than buying as a remote investor. The market-dependent specialty amenities that you bring up are a good idea that I will start working into the plan. Thank you!