Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
House Hacking
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
John T Shoemake
Votes |
Ya gotta start somewhere...

John T Shoemake
Posted

It seems I am the first to post for this region.

I'd like to thank Brandon Turner for his successful efforts in establishing a community for would-be and aspiring real estate investors. I'm looking forward to discussing investment strategies (traditional and fringe) with many of my house-hacking friends and peers over the next few years--especially in the Green Bay region!

A little background on my current situation:

I just recently moved from Wetumpka, AL to De Pere, WI. Reasons were many, but financially speaking, I had received a growth opportunity from my employer in exchange that I relocate to another part of the country. My employer offered a 25% pay increase, a relocation bonus of $5000(pre-tax), and a guaranteed pay for 40hrs/week. On top of that, my company provides a vehicle, gas card, and I am paid from the moment I dispatch my home. My company also provides insurance, 401(k) matching up to 4%, 2 weeks PTO that can be used immediately, profit sharing ($1200/year), and weekly bonus/commission opportunities.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The reason I am sharing all of this with you is because one lesson needs to be learned (from my perspective) before you can even think about investing in real-estate. Interestingly enough, its a lesson quite commonly adopted by real-estate investors themselves. What am I getting at? Maximize your leverage.

Your job is the ultimate leveraging tool when you're (let's face it) asset poor. The biggest pitfalls I have seen among many of my peers while growing up in my 20s is that they tend to either get wrapped up in student loan debt, other debt, or lose aspiration in exchange for financial contentment. You know who these people are or you wouldn't be here yourself.

So what job am I working? I work in Field IT. Its a niche and fast-growing industry that many of you should consider trending in your personal careers. It requires virtually no education, but demands higher availability in exchange (on-call). Companies invest heavily into training because its actually relatively cheap. Certifications take a mere 3 days to earn--converting a high school dropout into a licensed and certified technician by day 4. A license that can earn you well over $100k in less than a year if you are earnest about training in the industry.

Be flexible. Be available. Travel as much as you can. In 3 years you will be paying cash for a house.

User Stats

Votes
Michael K Gallagher
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus OH
Replied

welcome to bp, your sentiment around leverage is 100% correct, and I'd challenge you to follow your own advice and use that leverage to put as little as possible into the real estate rather than the coveted "pay cash for it" or while one can pay cash, utilizing your w2 to refinance is a unique skill and ability you can have.

house hacking in the mid west is where its at for sure.

User Stats

Votes
Wale Lawal
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
Replied

@John T Shoemake

Welcome to BP!

Thank you for sharing your insightful journey of leveraging current job in real estate is a valuable lesson for aspiring investors. By capitalizing on financial stability and perks, one can establish a solid foundation for real estate investing. Your story encourages others to consider their current job situation as an asset in their real estate journey, focusing on flexibility and openness to travel. This approach can significantly boost wealth-building potential.

Good luck!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes