Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
House Hacking
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Sara Robin
Votes |
How can I get a mortgage loan without a current income?

Sara Robin
Posted Sep 2 2024, 15:18

Hello! I currently have $150K equity in my current home and $300K cash on hand. I am looking to sell my current home and buy a new primary residence($500K value) but dont have a monthly income. I recently cashed out of a startup and working on a new venture. I can easily put 30-40% down.

Whats your advice in this situation. A mortgage lender told me to use a DSCR loan and just move in to the property as a primary residence?! I dont want to deal with legal issues down the road. Are there other ways to obtain a mortgage loan without a current income with a good amount of cash on hand? Thanks so much for your help in advance

User Stats

Votes
Bryan Maddex
Lender
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Sep 2 2024, 19:19

Please run from the lender that told you to do a DSCR loan and then move into the house! That is occupancy fraud and that lender should be reported.

There are "no income" loans in the marketplace. 20% down is required and rates are in the 9s. You also need 12-24 months of reserves so need to hold back some of your down payment money possibly depending on other assets that you may have.  I tell a lot of clients "Just because there is a product, doesn't mean you will like it" lol! There are actually 2 companies that do these no income loans. 

Alternatives?  Can you get a no occupying coborrower to sign with you? If you are retirement age, you can do asset based withdraws from "work related funds" (IRAs/401ks...). Bank statement loans likely will not help you until you have been doing your new venture for 12 months and have some deposit history. 

Feel free to message me if you want to go over the no income options. 

User Stats

Votes
Tarik Turner
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Hackensack, NJ
Votes |
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Hackensack, NJ
Replied Sep 3 2024, 08:02
Yikes. The advice people give these days... Please at all costs do not commit mortgage fraud based on the advice of someone who will deny they ever spoke to you about any such thing if all hell breaks loose
BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Sara Robin
Votes |
Replied Sep 4 2024, 15:18

thanks for your response and helpful information! really appreciate it