Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
House Hacking
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Haltom
Pro Member
Votes |
How Long to Live in a House Hack

Ryan Haltom
Pro Member
Posted

Hey Everyone,

I have heard it said on the podcasts before that the reason you are required to live in a house hack for at least a year is because that is how long it would take you to qualify for another mortgage to go buy your next one. My understanding is that there is no federal housing law in place that speaks to this, unless I get an FHA loan potentially. I also understand, though, that this can vary lender to lender. I am considering buying a quadplex as a house hack, but the eventual goal would be to move back into my current primary residence rather than buy another, so the seasoning period for me to get another loan would not apply. Is there a way with some lenders for me to buy a house hack and live in it less than a year and move back into my current primary? I certainly do not want to commit mortgage fraud. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this. Thanks.

- Ryan Haltom

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Katz
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Replied

The stipulation with conventional and FHA loans say you intend to occupy the the house for at least a year. Whether you occupy it or not, you won't be able to qualify for another loan for another year.

You might not end up living there for an entire year because if you move in and you don't like the house, you don't like the neighborhood, or you need to relocate for a job.

If you get the loan and never intended to live there for an entire year, then you are committing mortgage fraud. 

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Haltom
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied
Quote from @Andrew Katz:

The stipulation with conventional and FHA loans say you intend to occupy the the house for at least a year. Whether you occupy it or not, you won't be able to qualify for another loan for another year.

You might not end up living there for an entire year because if you move in and you don't like the house, you don't like the neighborhood, or you need to relocate for a job.

If you get the loan and never intended to live there for an entire year, then you are committing mortgage fraud. 

@Andrew Katz Thank you very much.

PropStream logo
PropStream
|
Sponsored
Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Rick Albert#1 Buying & Selling Real Estate Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Rick Albert#1 Buying & Selling Real Estate Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied

That is my understanding as well. It is all about intention. I had a client who refinanced their home and then I helped him buy a new house about 5 minutes away. When the lender brought up the issue, he just said that he needed more backyard space for his kid and it was a non-event.

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Haltom
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied
Quote from @Rick Albert:

That is my understanding as well. It is all about intention. I had a client who refinanced their home and then I helped him buy a new house about 5 minutes away. When the lender brought up the issue, he just said that he needed more backyard space for his kid and it was a non-event.

@Rick Albert Thanks so much.

User Stats

Votes
Anthony Swain
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied

Hey @Ryan Haltom,

I agree with the others. It is the intention to live there, but if something comes up i.e. neighborhood troubles, job placement, additional family member, etc. then there isn't an issue. 

I'd shy away from actively openly sharing the intention to do it beforehand. 

However, 'm sure there are ways that you can make it work.

Good luck with it Ryan

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Haltom
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied

@Anthony Swain Thanks so much.

User Stats

Votes
Philip Hourihan
  • Lender
  • Irving TX, Bonney Lake WA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Irving TX, Bonney Lake WA
Replied

@Ryan Haltom  I've worked with clients in similar situations and it really comes down to the underwriter, not necessarily the lender.  Based upon the details you have, there could be potential questions from an UW on the purchase of the quadplex as to why you would be making the change from the current primary to the quadplex and from the brief information you've provided there are could be a lot of reasons why.  If and when you move back, there are also a lot of explainable reasons as well if it ever came into question.