Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
House Hacking
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Rick Albert#3 House Hacking Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
6 Things I've learned from House Hacking in Los Angeles

• Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Posted Aug 15 2024, 11:48

Hello All,

I'm currently on my second house hack here in Los Angeles (I also own properties out of state). I'm one of the case studies in the BP book, The House Hacking StrategyI thought about what makes managing a good house hack and thought I would share my experiences (and would love to hear yours).

1. Having general rules is so important. This includes (but not limited to):

-Quiet Hours

-What spaces can and cannot be used

-Guest policy (make sure to limit days in a row and in a month)

-Pet policy (even if you don't allow pets, if someone has an ESA animal, it would be good to have guidelines in the event they surprise you with one, otherwise you are SOL and of course take into consideration fair housing laws)

-How is trash put in the cans (in bags, not just thrown in) and when can trash cans be taken to the street and put back

-How is the late free structured (one time flat fee or a daily fee)

2. Living for very cheap/free takes time.

I'm at the point where if I rent out my main house, it will cash flow positive. Before, I lived in my ADU and had to wait to refinance before seeing real savings. If you are putting low money down and expect it to cash flow, that is likely not going to happen. If it cash flows at 3.5% down, why wouldn't an investor putting 20% just buy it?

3. The appreciation is where the value is.

- Because of appreciation, I have been using HELOCs and sold my last house hack in order to scale out of state. I never would have been able to do that if I had been renting this entire time.

4. I did the FHA 203(k) loan.

-It was extremely difficult to work with but I would do it again.

5. Start small, it doesn't have to last forever.

-My wife and I were broke with our second house hack. We moved into our studio ADU and lived there for two years before we moved into the main house. That was the best decision we ever made. It was a great experience and we saved a lot of money in the meantime.

6. Even with a house hack, think about experiences. 

- Our ADU has it's own backyard, washer/dyer, and a front patio. We designed it so no windows look into the main house. These are things tenants value and it doesn't cost much money to do it.

What are some things you add?

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
John Steffen
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Dallas/Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Dallas/Fort Worth, TX
Replied Sep 12 2024, 09:19

How does your lot accommodate parking for 2 unrelated tenants in the future assuming you need to fit 4 total cars? Is there an alley way behind, large main driveway, street parking (if so, do the Adu occupants need to walk through the main house lawn?). Making sure the property "flows" outside is a key component I have personally found - assuring nobody is stepping on toes, encroaching on each other's outside space, or blocking cars in, etc. 

User Stats

Votes
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Sep 12 2024, 13:11

For ours, only the main house parks in the tandem driveway. ADU tenant and guest park on the street. I'm in So Cal so weather isn't an issue.

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Michael K Gallagher
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus OH
Replied Sep 13 2024, 10:16

I can't wait till Columbus gets there head out you know where about ADU's and lets us put them all up, I'd put one at my duplex and at my current primary I think they are the best thing out there for added value to a property

User Stats

Votes
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Sep 13 2024, 12:47

There are pros and cons to everyone having ADUs. An argument can be made that it changes the dynamic of a residential neighborhood. If you drive through residential streets versus MFU neighborhoods, there is a distinct difference in most (not all) cases.